War and Home - Campaign for 1.16

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

chee

Re: War and Home - Campaign for 1.16

Post by chee »

Just a little late, but we will upload the new Japanese translation files for 0.7.0, ja.po (zipped).
Also,
I just found by chance a message that is missing the '_' , so I'll let you know.
27_Into_The_Dark.cfg : line 1364

Code: Select all

message = "The cave-in cleared itself magically... Let us ad"
Thank you !!

war_and_home-ja.po-for 0.7.0.zip
ja.po: Japanese translation file for 0.7.0
(76.53 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
-------
chee / k.k
hopelight

Post by hopelight »

So, update is out. It's a smaller one, two more battle scenarios, should only be 8 battles left in total.
Apart from that I just "Added "custom" portraits to the important orc leaders (vanilla alternate grunt images, but boss-looking ones)", as I like to put it in the changelog

Apologies for the slower pace, I'm in the last part of a master's... you know, the part where you suddenly do in 6 months the whole of the two years :augh:
I still intend to reach the faster pace mentioned (good news is I've already done the dialogue for one of the next three scenarios) for the few updates remaining.

Translation-wise, the only change is in existing dialogue is:
"forces to the North are too" -> "forces to the north are too" (capitalization)

Finally, if something is broken, tell me and I'll try and fix it!
Sidenote: I had originally planned to use Dionli as the "Autumn Shyde" (really liked the unit sprite), but then at some point I remembered that the campaign was set around the year 334 or something like that, and Dionli was alive in year 0, so that kinda didn't work...
chee wrote: July 5th, 2023, 4:38 pm Just a little late, but we will upload the new Japanese translation files for 0.7.0, ja.po (zipped).
Also,
I just found by chance a message that is missing the '_' , so I'll let you know.
27_Into_The_Dark.cfg : line 1364

message = "The cave-in cleared itself magically... Let us ad"
Thanks for the translation, don't worry, you weren't the hold-up, I am quite slow!
Also, thanks for having spotted the missing marker, it should be fixed.
Author of War and Home and Knights of the Silver Spire, 1.16 campaigns.
chee

Post by chee »

I am in the process of translating the added scenarios into Japanese.
... On a different note, I noticed something in the scenario.So, I'd like to let you know.
In 01_Rescue.cfg : 309, HG1 says "... I am General Sidry ", but HG1 is Morain :P
-------
chee / k.k
chee

Post by chee »

I will upload the new Japanese translation file for 0.8.0, ja.po (zipped).
ja.po-for0.8.0.zip
(83.17 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
-------
chee / k.k
hopelight

Post by hopelight »

chee wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 1:34 am I will upload the new Japanese translation file for 0.8.0, ja.po (zipped).
Thanks a lot, it should be live now!
chee wrote: July 21st, 2023, 4:18 am In 01_Rescue.cfg : 309, HG1 says "... I am General Sidry ", but HG1 is Morain :P
That was a mistake of mine and that line along with one in chapter 2's intro should be modified accordingly.
All the translation files in the new release (yours included) should be fixed.

Here is my good ol' translation "changelog":
  • "I am General Sidry" -> "I am General Morain"
  • "After the skirmish, General Sidry offered to take" -> "After the skirmish, General Morain offered to take"
Sidenote: My computer did something "special" while moving some of the files (actually it was probably me but eh... I won't admit that) so if somehow everything is broken, please tell me.
chee

Post by chee »

Thank you for taking the time in your busy schedule to respond and even change the ja.po.
hopelight wrote: July 26th, 2023, 10:32 pmAll the translation files in the new release (yours included) should be fixed.
hopelight wrote: July 26th, 2023, 10:32 pmSidenote: My computer did something "special" while moving some of the files (actually it was probably me but eh... I won't admit that) so if somehow everything is broken, please tell me.
I have only checked in the modified ja.po, but could not see any anomalies, etc.
-------
chee / k.k
Magoure

Post by Magoure »

I've completed the latest version of the campaign, and it was quite enjoyable, thank you for it.
I played it on the normal difficulty setting and didn't encounter any hard challenges with the game's level of difficulty.
I agree with Hiromasa's suggestion of adding loose conditions for situations where the orcs reach the boats in various missions where you have to escape by boat. This change would prevent us from simply hiding.
hopelight

Post by hopelight »

Update is out, 5 more scenarios, though only 3 battles and modified scenarios 11 and 19 so that if orcs get between the boats and the player's units, the scenario is lost (might do it for scenario 3 as well, I'll see).

So, about said faster pace... There's an expression for it, I think it's something akin to "pipe dream" :D
I was stuck with a bunch of stuff to finish the master's, (deadline for the thesis is next week), which partially explains the delay.
We'll see how fast the rest'll go, but there should only be two updates left until the end of the story, so not that much.
Afterwards it'll be upgrading the campaigns to 1.18 (I assume it'll probably be out by then).

Magoure wrote: October 6th, 2023, 3:39 pm I've completed the latest version of the campaign, and it was quite enjoyable, thank you for it.
Glad to hear it!
Magoure wrote: October 6th, 2023, 3:39 pm I agree with Hiromasa's suggestion of adding loose conditions for situations where the orcs reach the boats in various missions where you have to escape by boat. This change would prevent us from simply hiding.
It should be done, I made it so that at the end of the turn, if an enemy unit is closer to the docks than an allied/player unit, the scenario is lost.
The check is done at the end of the turn to give a chance to take out enemies that rushed in and that are easy to kill (something that is always annoying in situations like these).
For scenario 11, it only applies to the orcs (not the bandits).
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S2
For some reason those peasant from S1 stayed on my recall list?

S3
Sort of same old story. Why do the units that 'died' in the training bout stay dead? Why does getting knocked out of the bout reset any leader unit? (In my case Turod going back to a lvl 1 Seargeant with 0xp.)

S4
fell in our -> feel for our
This scenario feels very weird. After a very hard scenario (S3), now we get a very very easy scenario. I felt like the initial weak attack was setting up some scripted backstabbing.
This could and probably should be just a cutscene. Or maybe the general regarding it as a training exercise for my troops.

S5
help to get -> help us getting

Flight Through The Woods
Early finish bonus is applied even if you don't defeat all enemy leaders.

Lose the Orcs
us the main -> us that the main

Mourn Later (S11)
I survived until turn 14 in the previous scenario, but the orcs show up on turn 2 in this scenario. Is that intended? (A look at the scenario file says otherwise.)
I love how they shouted 'just one more day!' as the orcs broke through.
Maybe something got mixed up in the last update?

Relevant EDITs:
Adding the scenario start file as well. As best as I can tell, the relevant variables are present during the first turn, and somehow disappear till the second turn, causing this weird behavior?

Hm. In line 666 you clear the variables 'allies' and 'enemies', which might be why all of this is happening? (And you do so every turn, so, oops?)
(It's part of the new event that checks if the orcs are between me and the boats. I'll remove it for now and just play as if it's there.)

Relevant EDIT 2:
Doing so fixed the bug. (I know, it's not quite a real fix, but it works until there is a proper fix uploaded.)

Not in Vain
I think it would be cool if you could see transports coming and going, instead of just the last one.

Arrival and Warning
Spoiler:

Mornchild turns invisible whenever it heals a unit.

Into the Dark (S27)
powere -> power

Like Waves Upon The Rocks (S32)
that what they -> than what they
would we note -> would we not

Btw, why can't the Winter Shyde not fly over deep water?

S32 and S33
It doesn't make much sense that the defending forces share gold and income with the arriving forces.

S34
The side 3 village is next to the side 4 leader, and same thing for the side 4 village, side 3 leader. Maybe a typo?

(I'll add the rest of the replays later, and finish the campaign some other day.)

S35 (Elensefar)
It would be great if there was a note how the ferrying works. I had to check the scenario file to figure it out <.<

S36, S37
The bigmap where you display the troop placements:
In Elensefar there is now a Grand Marshal instead of the Master at Arms (the Lord Mayor) that's actually stationed there.

S37
The orc on 30,5 should be on 30,4.

I've completed the campaign, as it is on the add-on server.

Overall feedback:
Spoiler:

Replays:
Spoiler:
Attachments
WaH-Mourn Later.gz
(19.43 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
WaH-Mourn Later Turn 18.gz
(99.72 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
WaH-Mourn Later replay 20231123-045212.gz
(74.69 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
chee

Post by chee »

I will upload the new Japanese translation file for 0.9.0, ja.po (zipped).
(and, several Japanese translation errors were also corrected.)
Please use it.
WaH- ja.po-for_0.9.0.zip
(89.59 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Apart from that...
Please confirm the following 2 points.
1) 38_Reunion_In_Wesmere.cfg: line 161,162

speaker = ES
            message = _ "Ha, you are quite funny... (<i>She notices</i>) M—mother!"
Based on this speaker's content, I would guess that speaker=EA, not speaker=ES.

2) 38_Reunion_In_Wesmere.cfg: line 275

message = _ "I see. You did say he was an upstanding youg man, right?"
youg -> young

Thank you.
-------
chee / k.k
hopelight

Post by hopelight »

So, new update on Christmas or its Eve, depending on where you are in the world.
Here are the changes:
- Added updated japanese translations
- Fixed a few writing errors
- Fixed bug in scenario 11 where overwritten variables would lead to the orcs appearing right away
- Made the Elvish High Lady and Elvish Sovereign
- Added her intended movement set to the Winter Shyde
- Fixed the master at arms in Elensefar becoming a marshal on the scenario-intro pictures
- Scenario 34: swapped starting villages for side 3-4
- Scenario 37: Moved orcish unit out of water

I dearly hope I haven't broken anything doing this.

Now for the replies to helpful people:
chee wrote: December 15th, 2023, 4:07 pm I will upload the new Japanese translation file for 0.9.0, ja.po (zipped).
Thanks for both the translations and the error-spotting, they have both been fixed (including in the translation file, thus the text should appear correctly in japanese... normally...).
Konrad2 wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 3:35 pm For some reason those peasant from S1 stayed on my recall list?
Well... that's a problem... I *do* have the kill command in there. I'll look into it.
Konrad2 wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 3:35 pm S3
Sort of same old story. Why do the units that 'died' in the training bout stay dead? Why does getting knocked out of the bout reset any leader unit? (In my case Turod going back to a lvl 1 Seargeant with 0xp.)
It was a sort of penalty for not taking care of the unit, but it's true that not earning xp for the rest of the scenario is already a punishment and regression makes little sense.
Konrad2 wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 3:35 pm This scenario feels very weird. After a very hard scenario (S3), now we get a very very easy scenario. I felt like the initial weak attack was setting up some scripted backstabbing.
This could and probably should be just a cutscene. Or maybe the general regarding it as a training exercise for my troops.
I'll check it again, whether how to make it harder or make it a cutscene.
Konrad2 wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 3:35 pm Flight Through The Woods
Early finish bonus is applied even if you don't defeat all enemy leaders.
You can't defeat all enemy leaders (at least, you shouldn't be able to kill the northern one), so that's somewhat intended (I'll check again).
Konrad2 wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 3:35 pm Mourn Later (S11)
I survived until turn 14 in the previous scenario, but the orcs show up on turn 2 in this scenario. Is that intended? (A look at the scenario file says otherwise.)
I love how they shouted 'just one more day!' as the orcs broke through.
Fixed (I think). I was dumb and used the number of turns for the arrivals as the number of allied and enemy units closest to the tile...
Konrad2 wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 3:35 pm Btw, why can't the Winter Shyde not fly over deep water?
Because I forgot to set the *actual* movement type that I had created *specifically* for her... It's fixed...
Konrad2 wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 3:35 pm Not in Vain
I think it would be cool if you could see transports coming and going, instead of just the last one.

Arrival and Warning
Spoiler:
Both of these are interesting ideas, I'll see.
For the first, something like turn 1 arrives, turn 2 stays, turn 3 leaves, turn 4 away, turn 5 arrives, etc. could be interesting so that there aren't animations at every turn (I'll have to make sure it synchronizes with the scenario's end).
For the second, the idea was that he acted like a vulture, coming once the fight is over to profit from what remains, thus he hadn't killed any. That being said, those bodies could work, as if they had been killed during the battle.
Konrad2 wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 3:35 pm S32 and S33
It doesn't make much sense that the defending forces share gold and income with the arriving forces.
You're right, I should move them to a third side. It might make it more annoying for people in multiplayer, but a) I already ignored that with scenario 35 and b) I can actually modify that one to make it more multiplayer-friendly.
Konrad2 wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 3:35 pm S35 (Elensefar)
It would be great if there was a note how the ferrying works. I had to check the scenario file to figure it out <.<
I assumed the camera movement was enough. (It's supposed to move to both ends of the teleport).
I'll probably write a line that'll explain it.
Konrad2 wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 3:35 pm S36, S37
The bigmap where you display the troop placements:
In Elensefar there is now a Grand Marshal instead of the Master at Arms (the Lord Mayor) that's actually stationed there.
Thanks, should be fixed.
Konrad2 wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 3:35 pm S34
The side 3 village is next to the side 4 leader, and same thing for the side 4 village, side 3 leader. Maybe a typo?
Thanks, fixed.
Konrad2 wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 3:35 pm S37
The orc on 30,5 should be on 30,4.
Fixed.
Konrad2 wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 3:35 pm Mornchild turns invisible whenever it heals a unit.
Fixed as well, thanks!

I've also noted the language points, I'll go over them soon (I'm too tired for it right now :D)
Konrad2 wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 3:35 pm Overall feedback:
Spoiler:
Regarding that feedback, well, in order:
1) Yep, the answer is pretty much gonna be: that's how I envisioned it. More precisely, my inspiration for this is mostly Fire Emblem and somewhat CRPGs, so yes, pairing galore. Some other campaigns (if I ever make them) won't be like that, but that one kind of is.
2) I think I get what you mean, I'll see what I can do, both in terms of a few more items here and there as well as some other objectives/systems, though it's most likely going to be once the story is done and after the transition to 1.18 (which is probably going to come out before this campaign's end...).
3) I'll see, I kinda like the setup of a battle where you have to first take out enemies to the south and then either force through a chokepoint or go the long way around.