Scenario Review: NR 5 - The Pursuit

Feedback for the mainline campaign Northern Rebirth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jamberine

Re: Scenario Review: NR 5 - The Pursuit

Post by jamberine »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Spearman (Challenging), 1.17.25
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
5, as far as combat
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The story was clear and interesting.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The spider room is silly but as long as you don't lose an important unit to it (which I didn't) it's no big deal. By far the biggest challenge was figuring out how to beat Malifor. Without having one of the white mages die on accident, there's no way to know that they're the solution.

What happened for me was that I got to the final room, swarmed Malifor with Highwaymen, and... all the attacks missed. I checked statistics and saw that the attacks all force missed. I hadn't cleared the southeastern corridor, so I assumed the solution might be somewhere in there. After clearing that area, I found a room of holy water. Ah, that must be the solution. I get all the units back up to the final room, and the attacks miss again. Now I try going into the spider room to see if there was anything useful there, and in the process I accidentally get a white mage killed. Problem is:

Realizing I was probably not going to beat the scenario before my gold went negative, I flooded the naga room with Thugs, in case I needed them. That meant the closest tile to Tallin was the water area over there, past an impassable tile (the tile two spaces below the white mage in the picture is marked impassable). However, I didn't know how the respawn ability worked, and assumed the point of spawning the mage there was to remove them from the scenario as a smaller punishment for letting them die. This meant I didn't consider that they could infinitely respawn (and while the white mages being able to kill the lich was plausible, I didn't see how they could do enough damage without dying).

After clearing out the spiders and finding nothing there, the next thing I considered was that the Rod of Justice was necessary to kill Malifor. I couldn't risk losing Tallin though, so I slowly earned enough EXP from the units Malifor bought every now and then to level up after attacking Malifor. I attack and get the first piece of dialogue indicating an attack won't work. Looking at the WML, a message occurs for a blade attack and a pierce attack, but not for an impact attack or an arcane attack (from holy water) for some reason (and my army was all impact attacks against undead). Finally I give up and look up the solution, and then win the scenario.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
4, extremely flawed, but still reasonably interesting.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make it more clear what to do. I think I got unlucky with a white mage spawning in an inaccessible area but it seems like you could never lose a white mage and have no idea what's going on.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Lost the druid on an early first attempt and decided to restart.