[engine] add a "halos" ability so that the unit benefits from a second halo when conditions are matched

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
newfrenchy83
Code Contributor

[engine] add a "halos" ability so that the unit benefits from a second halo when conditions are matched

Post by newfrenchy83 »

One of the things that bothers me is the permanent character of the halos of the Mage of Light and other units with the "illuminates" ability, which forces them to program only a permanent illumination applied only to the possessor of the ability.

Adding the halo ability does not change anything about the behavior of the unit, but can be used in several cases:

1 allowing the use of ""illuminates" whose activity would be variable, in this case encoding the halo in halos ability and not in the unit_type allows to modulate the appearance of the halo under the same conditions

Applying illumination to adjacent units, I know it's pretty cheesy but a set developer might consider it easier if the hlo display follows the same logic.

3 The halo used to illustrate the possession in the unit of a special weapon used as leadership, the halo would be used to raise the possessor of the ability.

Let me know your opinion on this topic.

the code is https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/pull/7805 git
LienRag

Re: [engine] add a "halos" ability so that the unit benefits from a second halo when conditions are matched

Post by LienRag »

If others are like me, you got no answer because what you propose isn't very clear...
shevegen

Re: [engine] add a "halos" ability so that the unit benefits from a second halo when conditions are matched

Post by shevegen »

I also admit that I am not entirely sure what was proposed here.

What also confuses the hell out of me is ... that it seems numbered, e. g. 1, and 3 ... but I
can not find point 2! :(

All I know is that this has something to do with the halo. Not sure what was suggested to
be modified. I love the healing priest; it's a backbone of my army usually surrounded by
some units. My favourite units from default campaign still is the elven avenger / wood
forest sneak guy. He is just so stylish.
Duke_Anax

Post by Duke_Anax »

shevegen wrote: February 19th, 2024, 7:17 am All I know is that this has something to do with the halo. Not sure what was suggested to
be modified. I love the healing priest; it's a backbone of my army usually surrounded by
some units.
As I understand it, this was the proposal to change it to what it is today. I'm not sure what it was before, but I think he only illuminated himself.
newfrenchy83
Code Contributor

Re: [engine] add a halo_image or halo_image_self attribute so that the unit benefits from a halo when conditions are mat

Post by newfrenchy83 »

the idea here is to encode the halo directly in the ability instead of doing it in such a way that the halo is only shown when the ability (illuminate here) is active instead of using the necoding in asn unit_type, it is in fact this separation which prevented the use of illuminate capabilities with variable activity.

In 1.18 you can encode the halo_image_self attribute in the ability in question to center the halo on the unit having the ability when it is active or halo_image= to center the halo on the unit benefiting from the ability (adjacent unit if the ability affects adjacent units).
Duke_Anax

Post by Duke_Anax »

Ah, you mean for example the difference between showing one circle on the halo caster or showing one to six effects on the surrounding units?
newfrenchy83
Code Contributor

Post by newfrenchy83 »

yes it that