is there a way to skip to the current turn when observing?

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TinTin2

is there a way to skip to the current turn when observing?

Post by TinTin2 »

Its rly slow to have to watch everything that happened:(
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

have you tried checking the "quick replay" option (a button along the top of the main lobby)?
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
eyu100

Post by eyu100 »

Is there a way to skip directly to the current turn?
TinTin2

Post by TinTin2 »

Wintermute wrote:have you tried checking the "quick replay" option (a button along the top of the main lobby)?
that works I guess.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

eyu100 wrote:Is there a way to skip directly to the current turn?
No due to the actual mechanics of saved games, the game has to move all the units to where they are from the original settings, so it has to calculate what you recruit, what you moved, the outcome of the battles ect. It doesn't constantly save what is going on.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

TinTin2 wrote:
Wintermute wrote:have you tried checking the "quick replay" option (a button along the top of the main lobby)?
that works I guess.
That doesn't work always. Sometimes the game already is further than the turn number of the game shows in the lobby, and it only takes you to THAT turn, not always to the turn currently played.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Clonkinator wrote:Sometimes the game already is further than the turn number of the game shows in the lobby, and it only takes you to THAT turn, not always to the turn currently played.
True, it doesn't work for any turns played after you started watching the replay, but usually those turns are either a) very few or b) very short. Also, it watches them with whatever accelerated speed you have set. If you are concerned with speed, you probably have set your graphics preferences to be quick anyway (especially in 1.3.1, as it offers more control over said options)

That said, it is not a perfect solution. You stilll need to click through any text popups, and it can take several minutes on longer replays. But IMO it is interesting to watch the flow of the game anyway.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Imp

Post by Imp »

Wintermute wrote:But IMO it is interesting to watch the flow of the game anyway.
Not when you've got a dodgy connection and this is the third time you've rejoined a 40-turn game you started with your friends!
eyu100

Post by eyu100 »

Noy wrote:
No due to the actual mechanics of saved games, the game has to move all the units to where they are from the original settings, so it has to calculate what you recruit, what you moved, the outcome of the battles ect. It doesn't constantly save what is going on.
Doesn't the host have auto-saves?
governor

Post by governor »

eyu100, I think what noy was stating is that the state of the game is dependent on all the previous turns. The replay is forced to reconstruct the entire game from initial state. This being said, acquiring an image (save) from the host of the last turn would be nice and would save an observer the hassle of watching long replays.

Skipping replays and joining at current game state would be nice. It also solves a cause of the problem of loss of internet connectivity on windows boxes when viewing long replays.
MikiTheBerserkr

Re:

Post by MikiTheBerserkr »

Noy wrote: April 10th, 2007, 4:17 am
Is there a way to do it now??
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: is there a way to skip to the current turn when observing?

Post by Atreides »

Nope.