Healing Terrains

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Do you think Wesnoth can use a new healing terrain?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 13

Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: Healing Terrains

Post by Atreides »

A fountain in the middle of a wilderness map would be quite silly indeed. Maybe the best thing is a choice of image? Fountains for map designers to place in a city and springs for the wild lands.
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

Atreides wrote: February 7th, 2024, 11:26 pm A fountain in the middle of a wilderness map would be quite silly indeed. Maybe the best thing is a choice of image? Fountains for map designers to place in a city and springs for the wild lands.
How about a healing overlay?
Would that add useful options?
It could be used in conjunction with items but would use up the terrain overlay slot, so no healing forest terrain for example - unless I've missed something...

Just a thought.

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Atreides wrote: February 7th, 2024, 11:26 pm A fountain in the middle of a wilderness map would be quite silly indeed. Maybe the best thing is a choice of image? Fountains for map designers to place in a city and springs for the wild lands.
Yes, having both optionsnwould also be good!
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Spannerbag wrote: February 8th, 2024, 1:05 pm
How about a healing overlay?
Would that add useful options?
It could be used in conjunction with items but would use up the terrain overlay slot, so no healing forest terrain for example - unless I've missed something...
Technically, that might work. However, I generally prefer not to use overlays. They're not obvious at a glance, someone moght not even realize they're there!
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Plus, as you said, it means that only base terrains will be able to be healing terrain, which means one would have to add item to all those hexes.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

12 pro votes 0 con votes so far. I like the healing mechanic so I am all up for
(conservative) extensions including the visual aspects.

From the above I think something like "hot springs" would be nice, or perhaps
more generally terrain that would be similar to that effect - a bit like a village.
Could be used sparingly instead of a village too, e. g. in deserted places where
nobody lives naturally - things like that. Or a meadow with lush grass and
herbs that may heal. At the least heal poison.

An artificial fountain sounds indeed an artefact of culture, so that is not quite
the same as e. g. a hot spring with natural healing prowess. I like the art,
though, so for city scenarios that one would be nice to have and use.

> it might be nice to have some other type of healing terrain, that would fit in
> with non-desert terrains

I think this should be streamlined by the wesnoth devs, e. g. offer something
that comes close to an oasis for, say, the five primary terrains. Or something
like that. It does not have to match necessarily 1:1 in functionality, but could
be assumed to be equivalent to an oasis e. g. healing without money income
(although, an oasis with people inside could still trade ... but I don't want to
digress from the idea). So, some natural healing for 5 terrains and then also
document this in the in-game help system so new players understand the
intent.
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

Some races maybe would may be healed on muschroms?
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

holypaladin wrote: April 14th, 2024, 7:04 pm Some races maybe would may be healed on muschroms?
Check out some custom eras like the elemental faction that gets healed on vegetation. It can of course be done for just mushrooms too but I know of none at the moment.