LotI Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lhybrideur

LotI Era

Post by lhybrideur »

I am making a "LotI era" to get a lighter dependency on LotI for my campaign, which currently has LotI as a dependency, although I do not need the scenarios.
I know about LotI advancements and Legend of the Invincibles Units in Mainline Campaign, but the idea would be to add the LotI abilities, weapon specials and item interface to that.
Would anyone else would be interested in that?
I will probably do it anyway, but if anyone is interested in playtesting it with any other campaign, I will try to have it to work more broadly.

Here is a first version. It is working in multiplayer and you can use at as a dependency for campaigns.
https://github.com/rodolphecombe/loti-era
I will try to put it on the addon server soon.
dwarftough

Re: LotI Era

Post by dwarftough »

I thought about this approach for my addons (one of which is aforementioned LotI advancements) but I didn't like copypasting all the code. There are actually pros and cons for this. Pros are that it's possible to fix bugs faster and/or make improvements irrelevant for LotI. Cons are the need for manual backporting of all fixes/changes in LotI and overall maintaining two similar codebases. So for myself I decided to stick to keeping LotI itself in dependencies. But maybe it's not the best approach
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Yes I see nearly the exact same pros and cons.
However in my case, I see two more pros.
First one is, as it is more or a less a copy-paste changing only "Legend_of_the_Invincibles" to "LotI_Era" and "wesnoth-loti" to "wesnoth-loti-era", it will be really easy to update from a new version of LotI with a simple copy-paste of most of the files, mass replace and check with git diff.
Second one is I am already using some modified version of a few of the LotI files in my addon, so I anyway need to check with each new stable version of LotI.
I updated the modification, so it should now be possible to use it also for mainline campaigns.

BTW, if you want to use it for your addons, be my guest. I will try to maintain it as good as I can.
Last edited by lhybrideur on February 7th, 2024, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Version 2.0 of the add-on is online.
This version add AMLAs for every missing mainline units except dunefolk and monsters.
If you find any bug or would have some more units to get AMLAs, please tell me.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Version 2.2 is online.
It replaced manual AMLA attack improvements for mainline units by auto-generated ones for each units.
The same treatment is also applied to LotI units on the amla_tweak branch on the GitHub.
dwarftough wrote:
dwarftough, do you think it would be interesting to had to core LotI?
Or maybe 1.18 LotI diverged too much from 1.16 LotI on that matter already?
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Version 2.3 is online.
It adds Fire Dragon, Fire Wraith, Wose Shaman as well as the new nagas.
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

lhybrideur wrote: February 7th, 2024, 7:55 am
dwarftough wrote:
dwarftough, do you think it would be interesting to had to core LotI?
I wouldn't add it to the core LotI because, for example, for some units I've added an extra level with amlas manually, the same way it's done in LotI itself. As an outside modification it's an interesting possibility. Tbh my primary concern is books and legacies, that's what I want to expand to all units, I've started a mod about that https://github.com/Discontinuum/LotI_Legacies_and_Books but it requires some changes in core LotI (which are done in the master branch and consequently in the beta but aren't yet released on the 1.16 addon server)
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

dwarftough wrote: February 7th, 2024, 11:34 am for some units I've added an extra level with amlas manually, the same way it's done in LotI itself
I am not sure I understand what you mean by that.
Tbh my primary concern is books and legacies, that's what I want to expand to all units
Ah so you found a better solution than mine and LotI one, which is to duplicate unit types with a "LotI" suffix and a [base_unit] and add the AMLAs in the "new" unit_type
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

lhybrideur wrote: February 7th, 2024, 1:02 pm Ah so you found a better solution than mine and LotI one, which is to duplicate unit types with a "LotI" suffix and a [base_unit] and add the AMLAs in the "new" unit_type
Well, I wouldn't say I really found a solution because LotI has a reason to implement legacies/books this way. The reason is that some amlas add new attacks with animations, and those animations are unit-dependent: you need to specify spell-casting frames for each unit. Just in my mod I was ready to give up on fancy animations.
lhybrideur wrote: February 7th, 2024, 1:02 pm I am not sure I understand what you mean by that.
I mean Invincibles Conquest added extra 4 lvls for drakes, for example, with LotI style amlas made up by me (dunno how good and balanced but I tried to make them interesting). So for IC lvl 3 drakes don't need auto-generated amlas
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

dwarftough wrote: February 7th, 2024, 10:38 pm Well, I wouldn't say I really found a solution because LotI has a reason to implement legacies/books this way. The reason is that some amlas add new attacks with animations, and those animations are unit-dependent: you need to specify spell-casting frames for each unit. Just in my mod I was ready to give up on fancy animations.
Ok, now I get it.
I mean Invincibles Conquest added extra 4 lvls for drakes, for example, with LotI style amlas made up by me (dunno how good and balanced but I tried to make them interesting). So for IC lvl 3 drakes don't need auto-generated amlas
They are auto-generated in a pre advance event, for units in a list on the main branch and for units with advance_to="" on the amla_tweak branch. This means that your LVL3 Drakes that now advance to smth would not be considered, but the new LVL4 Drakes would be.
I recently had the case playing DiD with my mod. The Spectral Servant and Malin had the auto-generated AMLAs.
BTW, I would love to see those lvl4 Drakes added to core LotI.
Hantaro

Post by Hantaro »

Hello,

I loved the idea making all the campaing funnier but I saw that item set didn't work. Perhaps it's not implemented yet ?
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Hantaro wrote:
I need to check that.
Do you please have a replay? I did not touch anything item related, so it should work as much as in LotI, but maybe I based the add-on on a buggy LotI version.
I will try to debug that today anyway.

EDIT:
I cannot seem to reproduce the problem.
If you have a save file, I might be able to find what was causing the issue on your side.
On my side, I added the following line after line 106 in _main.cfg

Code: Select all

[event]
		name=turn refresh
        {PLACE_ITEM 805 31 21}
		{PLACE_ITEM 804 31 22}
	[/event]
then started a Tale of Two Brothers and spawned an Exterminator that can pickup both items. He gains the extra attack from the combination of both object.