Hordes of the Other World: a multiplayer LotI

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dwarftough

Re: Hordes of the Other World: a multiplayer LotI

Post by dwarftough »

bolderaft wrote: March 9th, 2024, 4:35 am I installed the new HotOW 1.1.0 for Wesnoth 1.16 on Mac, but could not get it to create a new game.

“Failed to create scenario” was the error that presented, after I selected Hordes of the Other World in multiplayer local game, and chose “Create Game”.

Also, it was still describing a 200x200 map in the documentation for the add-on.
Did you choose it in Scenarios or in Multiplayer campaigns tab?
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
bolderaft

Post by bolderaft »

OOOH! I didn’t notice the dropdown having those options. I corrected that, and the can now see the new version. It’s working!!!
bolderaft

Post by bolderaft »

So far it's been really fun. No issues so far, and it's must faster than the other 200x200 versions I had been playing. I'm still only about 25 turns in.

Other differences I've noticed so far:

* The faction choices at start are very different. In the prior version, Efraim had been asigned orcs; Lethalia had humans and mages; Argan had mages and humans; Stormider had drakes and saurians; Delly had dwarves and thieves. Later I learned it was possible to select factions on the multiplayer scenarios on the 200x200 map. I do much prefer the faction choices assigned on this newest version, because there aren't so many "dead end" unit types that max out at level 2 or 3. I was especially excited to see that Stormrider can have generals. It's almost a different game now, playing with elves and humans.
* No error messages appearing during play
* Teleportation back to castles MIGHT be a little more permissive. I've noticed that I can teleport all the leader/teams back to their original castles, without being blocked due to crowding. In previous versions, it seemed like I had to clear a lot of space around castles before being able to teleport back. I'm not completely sure the exact number of hexes.
* No additional "free" attackss after leveling up, which I had noticed only in the much older version of HotOW.
* StormRider lost that permanent retention of potions; ie, he handles potions normally in this version
* Crafting magic armor now seems to work more consistently with LotI, where the main body armor provides higher physical resistances than helms, gauntlets and boots. On the 200x200 versions, body armor wasn't any better than helms, gauntlets, boots.
bolderaft

Post by bolderaft »

Still having fun with it! The Prelude took around 80 turns, and now I'm early in Act I. So far, I haven't noticed any bugs, and have really appreciated how much easier it is to teleport to castles, even with some friendly units occupying castle hexes. Also, I like how the newer version is very clear about how many hexes away enemies must be from a castle to block teleportation.
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

bolderaft wrote: March 11th, 2024, 4:48 am On the 200x200 versions, body armor wasn't any better than helms, gauntlets, boots.
I think that was a bug in LotI and afaik only in interface. Anyway, it was fixed.

About factions, the fixed layout was supposed in the first version as well but it wasn't properly declared in the code so you could choose era and you got units from the era.

Teleport in 200x200 I think didn't even work. At least it was completely unusuable: one your unit too close and you're blocked
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
bolderaft

Post by bolderaft »

> Teleport in 200x200 I think didn't even work. At least it was completely unusuable: one your unit too close and you're blocked

It was much harder to use, but I did use it a lot. It was essential getting a foothold in Act II (the one for Wesnoth 1.14.13), as I kept having to teleport in and out volleys of attackers, who weren't strong enough to defend against the Act II hordes.

In that 1.14.13 HotOW 200x200 version, the Act I enemies were mostly conventional units, and the Act II appearance of hordes of corrupted elves and orcs were just devastating. The only way I could make any progress was through lots of teleportation, and a lot of swapping of the best magic items. For a long time, every turn, I had to teleport the team back to the Act I map, and swap all their magic items back into storage, in readiness for the next team. Using that method, I was able to keep the Act II starting keep clear enough for landing.