Ascension

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

redbeard2

Re: Ascension

Post by redbeard2 »

For mission 4 I would like to have all of faction 1 disappear right before the wave comes, everyone should just go into the recall list so they are available normally the next scenario.

How would I have everyone disappear like that without killing them so they are usable next mission?
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Perhaps

https://wiki.wesnoth.org/DirectActionsW ... ll_list.5D

or

Code: Select all

[modify_unit]
    [filter]
         side=1
         canrecruit=no
    [/filter]
    x,y=recall,recall
[/modify_unit]
Of course, if you mean ALL of side 1 you might have to do something (store_unit on your leader I suspect) to avoid defeat.

P.S. viewforum.php?f=21
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

I have put in difficulty levels (easy, medium, hard). Some notes on changes:

I have generally tried to make time relatively forgiving, so even on hard it shouldn't come too close to the wire

Gold is 15% more or less for player and opponents for each difficulty difference.

I have put in some more animations for certain actions for some extra color.
Kingdom of Dorth has way fewer runesmiths, on hard difficult there are so many they were melting my army so I had to modify that
On hard Crassus spawns a bunch of soulless over the course of the fight in Catastrophe
Battle for the north has a significant change, you're pretty badly outnumbered on the harder difficulty, so there's the ability to provoke avalanches, which damage and slow everything caught in them, when used well, causes major damage to enemy and puts them in snow.
Biggest change is probably Slash and Burn, I took away most preplaced woses, and made it so there are 2 leaders you can kill to trigger victory which one you choose changes Invasion of Wesmere a bit in that the preplaced units will be either elves or woses, and one faction will either be woses or elvish magic users.

Again let me know if there are any problems/errors/bugs. I am almost done with my hard playthrough, I will be doing one on easy, and want to add some special events to flavor up that difficulty level as well, and a few other changes I am interested in implementing.
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

Changed some scenario names and adjusted some scenario times on easy, everything should still work, if something doesn't load right let me know
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

I am currently playing through Winds of Fate, for fun and to check for lore issues I may need to fix, so far so good on that front...

Once I'm done, a few things I wanted to see about possibly changing:

-It seems like I should change the orc-speak to normal language, as seen in Son of the black Eye, when orcs are the protagonists, the language is NOT the illiterate babble seen in other campaigns when other races are the protagonists but rather normal. Should I make this change? I want to follow convention, though it would require a decent amount of rewriting...

-Having the orcs get the Rod of Justice is a bit of an issue, should I have Brurbar get another item rather than that to avoid conflicts with certain descriptions of the Rod in other official/user made campaigns?

-How advisable would it be to make it so that you can recruit other naga other than just the fighter? I haven't seen the other ones used much, would this be interesting?

-Any issues with compatibility on 1.18 that I need to fix? One thing I noticed is that Nightblades are automatic now, so should I therefore get rid of [enable nightblade] if this is now redundant?

-I am trying to think of alternative names to the campaign, Ascension is maybe too generic, any comments?

Any other suggestions are, as always, appreciated to improve.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

redbeard2 wrote: March 24th, 2024, 11:43 pm
-Any issues with compatibility on 1.18 that I need to fix? One thing I noticed is that Nightblades are automatic now, so should I therefore get rid of [enable nightblade] if this is now redundant?
viewtopic.php?t=57288
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

I have some plans to improve some elements of the story, and Brurbar's person especially. It sort of looks like the campaign needs to be re-uploaded with the upgrade to 1.18, so I had to switch it to the 1.18 folder in my own Wesnoth Add-ons, but it gave me this error...I really don't think I've changed the campaign one iota since I last uploaded it, so I don't quite understand what the issue is, it says publishable...I've never gone through an upgrade before so this is probably heartbreakingly simple, but I'm not sure what to do
error message.png
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Looks like the description= field in your PBL file might need to be rechecked. Or the version= if it's before it.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

I’ll try writing a different description, I was going to anyway, I was just rather skeptical that could actually be the problem when wesnoth hadn’t cared before…I’ll report back…
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

I rewrote the description:

description= _ "The orcish homeland is gripped in a spiral of blood feuds and revenge raiding. Can a mysterious stranger's offer of new lands to conquer allow the orc Brurbar to bring renewed glory and power to the ragged orcish clans?"

the exact same error message comes up as before, I tried changing it up again, it doesn't work. This format is exactly what worked until now, and I looked at another UMC and it doesn't do anything greatly different on its description...
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

That doesn't look right - the underscore character _ for marking a string as translatable cannot be used in a .pbl file.

See the example .pbl file.
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

I got rid of the language line, that made the system happy and I could upload it, thanks so much! Not sure why it accepted it before but not now, but it's good now, now to start revamping for real, and probably renaming the campagn itself...