Dawn of Thunder [SP campaign for 1.16.x]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

egallager

Re: Dawn of Thunder [SP campaign for 1.16.x]

Post by egallager »

Jader12345 wrote: March 6th, 2023, 3:21 am Hope you continue.
Suggestions for where to go with this campaign are welcome! The narrative momentum of the campaign seems to require that the party return to the Ka'lian next, but I'm kind of unsure where to have them go after that...
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S1
Scenario objectives state that there is an early finish bonus. Early finish bonus is not awarded.
Also, hellishly though as always. (hard)

S4
deceive you -> let you down

S5
he got his -> he received his lords
is being attacked -> is under attack
we are under -> we were under

At the end of the scenario you get to keep the Elvish Hunters. Silam says that they won't cost upkeep, which is untrue. Only one of them is loyal. Perhaps an oversight?

S6
since a few month -> since a few months ago
this . -> this.

S7
any more -> anymore
hurrying -> in a hurry
wake up forest -> awaken, forest
will get back -> will go back

Dark Ancient Wose
aggresive -> aggressive
bound to nature -> bond with nature

S8
Unrecognized characters in windows, when they play a tune for the wose.

too little for -> too small for

'The location of the Ka'lian is only known to Elvenkind!'
Naia, her soldiers, and the peasants: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Attachments
DoT-Deep Forest replay 20230711-103842.gz
(35.45 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
S8
S8
char.PNG (179.54 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
DoT-Woodchoppers replay 20230711-102458.gz
(55.04 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
DoT-Lake Aelin replay 20230711-094301.gz
(80.5 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
DoT-Rescue replay 20230710-212305.gz
(35.88 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
DoT-Enemies of Old replay 20230710-233339.gz
(66.88 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
DoT-The Outpost replay 20230710-205722.gz
(41.64 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
egallager

Post by egallager »

Konrad2 wrote: July 10th, 2023, 6:57 pm S8
Unrecognized characters in windows, when they play a tune for the wose.
These are supposed to be music notes: "♩♪♫♬"

Edit: addressing a few more of these:
Konrad2 wrote: July 10th, 2023, 6:57 pm S1
Scenario objectives state that there is an early finish bonus. Early finish bonus is not awarded.
I'm not seeing any mention of an early finish bonus in the objectives?
S5
he got his -> he received his lords
is being attacked -> is under attack
we are under -> we were under

At the end of the scenario you get to keep the Elvish Hunters. Silam says that they won't cost upkeep, which is untrue. Only one of them is loyal. Perhaps an oversight?
Hm, unsure what to do here since they all have the same number of traits currently... do I remove a trait from the 2 that currently don't have loyal to make room for it, or do I add an additional trait to the 1 that already has it, so that they each have 3 traits (4 on EASY)?
S6
this . -> this.
This one's actually due to a variable being cleared too early; chee/k-konami already pointed it out to me on Discord
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S8
be there to see it anymore -> be there anymore to see it
found the tunnels -> found the tunnels.
anything is better -> anywhere is better

S9
You can't save in this scenario (without renaming the save) because saves are not allowed to contain 2 dots. Maybe rename the scenario?

S10
two days ago that we found -> two days since we've found
continue that way -> keep going like that
in our backs -> on our backs

Naias death is missing from the updated scenario defeat conditions.

When you meet the dwarves, Fiannon says something like 'trolls in front of us'. I can't see any trolls yet at that point.

S11
Thanks for -> Thank you for
Especially since you saved our lives -> Especially since you've saved our lives

S13
ressources -> resources
brave men -> brave people

Early finish bonus and 40% carryover don't make much sense here. No early finish bonus and 100% carry over would be more appropriate.

Smilvolf needs a silver crown.

S14
didn't say much until -> hadn't said much
hadn't paid attention -> hand't, paid attention
I am Generous -> I am generous

Again, 40% carryover doesn't make any sense. 100% would be appropriate. Also, no income would make more sense.

S15
Anyway, You've got -> Anyway, you've got
Defeat condition 'Turns run out' is missing.

S16

lycantrophy
Is it intentional that xp and status effects are not shared between transformations?

S17
The crabs recruit some unit called 'Monster Crab' which doesn't seem to have a sprite.
people Jotha -> people of Jotha

Scenario objectives state that there is an early finish bonus, but there isn't.

Limwen
When Limwen gains her AMLA as an Autumn Faerie, she says "Who knew there was still more to learn?"
I believe she was only supposed to say this when she advanced to an Autumn Faerie, but because of how the Global Event was set up, she will say also say it every time she gains an AMLA for the first time in that scenario.
-> change the event so it is only said when advancing to max level
DoT-Illuvèn-Auto-Save25.gz
Limwen gaining an AMLA
(143.09 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
S18

And I'm done with the campaign. :)
Attachments
DoT-Illuvèn replay 20230807-190909.gz
(106.43 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
DoT-Jotha replay 20230731-175331.gz
(97.63 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
DoT-The Tower replay 20230730-160021.gz
(66.7 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
DoT-Wild Steppe replay 20230730-154232.gz
(59.56 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
DoT-Hope or Hostility replay 20230718-184556.gz
(46.1 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
DoT-Frozen Ground replay 20230718-184023.gz
(47.91 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
DoT-Frost- and Wolfbites replay 20230716-074813.gz
(56.45 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
DoT-Subterranean Crossfire replay 20230715-210347.gz
(75.66 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
DoT-Subterranean Crossfire-Auto-Save3.gz
Where the trolls at
(73.53 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
DoT-Suddenly, Darkness... replay 20230715-203555.gz
(77.99 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
DoT-Grand Meeting replay 20230715-175300.gz
(88.1 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
egallager

Post by egallager »

Konrad2 wrote: July 15th, 2023, 3:51 pm S16
lycantrophy
Is it intentional that xp and status effects are not shared between transformations?
I don't really understand how the lycanthropy code even works, tbh
S17
The crabs recruit some unit called 'Monster Crab' which doesn't seem to have a sprite.
Ah, so you were lucky enough to see them actually do that! I haven't seen them manage it yet... but it's supposed to be the same crab from UtBS; maybe the mainline campaign directories aren't all imported properly? https://units.wesnoth.org/1.16/dawn_of_thunder/en_US/Crab%20Man.html
Edit: could you please share the console message from when it fails to load the crab's sprite properly?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

egallager wrote: August 8th, 2023, 8:21 pm
Konrad2 wrote: July 15th, 2023, 3:51 pm S17
Ah, so you were lucky enough to see them actually do that! I haven't seen them manage it yet... but it's supposed to be the same crab from UtBS; maybe the mainline campaign directories aren't all imported properly? https://units.wesnoth.org/1.16/dawn_of_thunder/en_US/Crab%20Man.html
Edit: could you please share the console message from when it fails to load the crab's sprite properly?
There was no console message, but my log gave me this:

Code: Select all

warning filesystem: Conflicting files in binary_path: '\data\add-ons\dawn_of_thunder\images\units\nagas\sentinel.png' and '\data\core\images\units\nagas\sentinel.png'
warning filesystem: Conflicting files in binary_path: '\data\add-ons\dawn_of_thunder\images\units\monsters\Crab.png' and '\data\campaigns\Under_the_Burning_Suns\images\units\monsters\Crab.png'
warning filesystem: Conflicting files in binary_path: '\data\add-ons\dawn_of_thunder\images\units\nagas\warden.png' and '\data\core\images\units\nagas\warden.png'
warning filesystem: Conflicting files in binary_path: '\data\add-ons\dawn_of_thunder\images\units\monsters\crab.png' and '\data\campaigns\Under_the_Burning_Suns\images\units\monsters\crab.png'
error filesystem: Not opening '/data/add-ons/dawn_of_thunder/images/units/monsters/crab.png' due to case mismatch.
error display: could not open image 'units/monsters/crab.png'
Ftr, starting the scenario with 1.16.10 gives a looooooot of log messages on top.
egallager

Post by egallager »

Konrad2 wrote: August 9th, 2023, 1:05 pm
egallager wrote: August 8th, 2023, 8:21 pm
Konrad2 wrote: July 15th, 2023, 3:51 pm S17
There was no console message, but my log gave me this:

Code: Select all

warning filesystem: Conflicting files in binary_path: '\data\add-ons\dawn_of_thunder\images\units\nagas\sentinel.png' and '\data\core\images\units\nagas\sentinel.png'
warning filesystem: Conflicting files in binary_path: '\data\add-ons\dawn_of_thunder\images\units\monsters\Crab.png' and '\data\campaigns\Under_the_Burning_Suns\images\units\monsters\Crab.png'
warning filesystem: Conflicting files in binary_path: '\data\add-ons\dawn_of_thunder\images\units\nagas\warden.png' and '\data\core\images\units\nagas\warden.png'
warning filesystem: Conflicting files in binary_path: '\data\add-ons\dawn_of_thunder\images\units\monsters\crab.png' and '\data\campaigns\Under_the_Burning_Suns\images\units\monsters\crab.png'
error filesystem: Not opening '/data/add-ons/dawn_of_thunder/images/units/monsters/crab.png' due to case mismatch.
error display: could not open image 'units/monsters/crab.png'
Ah ok, I guess what happened was that Paulomat4 originally tested on a case-sensitive filesystem, and didn't consider case-insensitive ones... I just pushed a commit that ought to fix this particular error:
https://github.com/cooljeanius/dawn_of_thunder/commit/874a6e6228d2956884833f5b18441c9f4fda46ac.
Can you test?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

egallager wrote: August 10th, 2023, 12:51 am Ah ok, I guess what happened was that Paulomat4 originally tested on a case-sensitive filesystem, and didn't consider case-insensitive ones... I just pushed a commit that ought to fix this particular error:
https://github.com/cooljeanius/dawn_of_thunder/commit/874a6e6228d2956884833f5b18441c9f4fda46ac.
Can you test?
It seems to work fine now. :)
egallager

Post by egallager »

Konrad2 wrote: August 10th, 2023, 12:59 pm
egallager wrote: August 10th, 2023, 12:51 am Ah ok, I guess what happened was that Paulomat4 originally tested on a case-sensitive filesystem, and didn't consider case-insensitive ones... I just pushed a commit that ought to fix this particular error:
Can you test?
Cool, I'm about to do another playthrough and then will make a new release, although I think I might actually have an idea for the next scenario, so I might wait until I've got that written before making the next release...
egallager

Post by egallager »

egallager wrote: August 12th, 2023, 10:38 pm
Konrad2 wrote: August 10th, 2023, 12:59 pm
Can you test?
Cool, I'm about to do another playthrough and then will make a new release, although I think I might actually have an idea for the next scenario, so I might wait until I've got that written before making the next release...
...ok, so I made the new release I was mentioning! I didn't actually bother getting the new scenario written yet though, although I have at least stubbed in a file to start it now... (it's inaccessible via normal gameplay currently, though)
Anyways, the release notes for this release can be found in the corresponding GitHub tag here:
https://github.com/cooljeanius/dawn_of_thunder/releases/tag/0.2.4
JNI

Post by JNI »

Where is the end of the mine cart ride in Distant Thunder? I got the mine cart to the left side- nothing. I circled back and went where I entered nothing. THe path via the undead lord the track is broken. Need help please. Thanks!
egallager

Post by egallager »

JNI wrote: September 17th, 2023, 2:13 pm Where is the end of the mine cart ride in Distant Thunder? I got the mine cart to the left side- nothing. I circled back and went where I entered nothing. THe path via the undead lord the track is broken. Need help please. Thanks!
You need to use the Dwarvish Miners' "dig" ability to break through the walls.
JNI

Post by JNI »

Hi, I broke through the wall got the cart through the pillar headed over to the west side of the map took the cart to the end. Nothing. I broke the wall to the south and circled back around to where I started and got the cart to the bottom of the map. Nothing. There is no wall in either of those places to dig. Thanks!
JNI

Post by JNI »

Oh I am not sure what I did but this time I brought the cart to the east and it worked. The reason I got confused is it didn't the first time I tried it but I think I might have stumbled on an idea for you to make the scenario even cooler. I took that route back to the starting fortess waited for the majority of the monsters to go past and then headed to the south exit. That makes the scenario more interesting because you have to wait until it is freed up enough that you can make a run for it and get back to the entrance at the far south.
egallager

Post by egallager »

Hm, maybe I should add some additional events to handle players who might try that... could you specify the coordinates in question where you were expecting things to happen?