A Starry Forest - 1.18 Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

KameRamen

A Starry Forest - 1.18 Campaign

Post by KameRamen »

Hello, this is the development thread for the campaign "A Starry Forest" coded for 1.18.
A near future where glory and decline are repeated. Elven Captain Xlorien encounters an unidentified undead attack near the border of Wesmere.

(Novice level, 6 scenarios.)
The six scenarios consist of four battle scenarios and two dialogue-only scenarios. Japanese translation has also been completed.
What I would like to ask of you all is feedback, mainly regarding the storyline and difficulty adjustments. I look forward to your feedback :D
Last edited by KameRamen on March 29th, 2024, 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kame means turtle in Japanese. I chose this name because I love turtles and ramen.
Author of The Bees Journey, A Starry Forest, and Beyond the Eternal Morning
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: A Starry Forest - 1.18 Campaign

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Scenario 1
  • Very beautiful Map
  • The campaign description itself is a very strong giveaway who the final antagonist is..like what faction they are from. This allows me to tailor my recall list to meet the enemy exactly (Elvish Sorceress, Elvish Druid, Elvish Hero, and Elvish Ranger given priority)
  • nothing much to say about the scenario, nice funny Carapace event though.
  • is the monolith supposed to give anything besides XP?
Scenario 2
  • Apart from the initial objective shifting, there is really nothing to say about this scenario. Quite plain.
  • Map was okay...not as fancy looking as the first one.
Scenario 3
  • 3 elven sides vs my side? Okay. But having 2 sorceresses and 3 elven heroes did turn the tide over to me easily.
  • Very beautiful map.
Scenario 4
  • For the last scenario, it's just okay. The only challenge I had was the initial undead side waves ganging up on me and then it watered down to easy.
  • the entire dungeon being connected by castle tiles kind of leave open the possibility of ending the scenario as early as turn 12. I can just recall sorceress around the lich as soon as I snatch a keep and nuke him with spamming the ranged attack faerie fire.
  • Map looked too plain.
  • story-wise, how can they just uneventful escape from an undead raid on the Kalian and then waltz on the lair? No lair guards stationed outside? I am not really impressed here.
Attachments
ASF-Rising to Action replay 20240326-161157.gz
(30.34 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
ASF-Prelude replay 20240326-053608.gz
(16.6 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
ASF-Follow the Traces replay 20240326-054718.gz
(24.04 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
ASF-A Starry Forest replay 20240326-162937.gz
(32.54 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
KameRamen

Post by KameRamen »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: March 26th, 2024, 10:50 am Scenario 1
  • Very beautiful Map
  • The campaign description itself is a very strong giveaway who the final antagonist is..like what faction they are from. This allows me to tailor my recall list to meet the enemy exactly (Elvish Sorceress, Elvish Druid, Elvish Hero, and Elvish Ranger given priority)
  • nothing much to say about the scenario, nice funny Carapace event though.
  • is the monolith supposed to give anything besides XP?
Scenario 2
  • Apart from the initial objective shifting, there is really nothing to say about this scenario. Quite plain.
  • Map was okay...not as fancy looking as the first one.
Scenario 3
  • 3 elven sides vs my side? Okay. But having 2 sorceresses and 3 elven heroes did turn the tide over to me easily.
  • Very beautiful map.
Scenario 4
  • For the last scenario, it's just okay. The only challenge I had was the initial undead side waves ganging up on me and then it watered down to easy.
  • the entire dungeon being connected by castle tiles kind of leave open the possibility of ending the scenario as early as turn 12. I can just recall sorceress around the lich as soon as I snatch a keep and nuke him with spamming the ranged attack faerie fire.
  • Map looked too plain.
  • story-wise, how can they just uneventful escape from an undead raid on the Kalian and then waltz on the lair? No lair guards stationed outside? I am not really impressed here.
Hello, I appreciate your detailed feedback :) I have also seen the replay.
I am now revising the S4 map that you pointed out. The flow near the last is definitely a bit overwhelming, so I'll try to come up with an idea.

Monoliths currently only gives her XP, but I plan to add more effects in the future.
Kame means turtle in Japanese. I chose this name because I love turtles and ramen.
KameRamen

Post by KameRamen »

Version 1.0.2 is now available, with newly reworked map for S6, as well as minor changes to some events and dialogues. Please update and enjoy. And I am still looking for feedback!