Saurian Mainline Canon and Info ?

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fishrose

Saurian Mainline Canon and Info ?

Post by fishrose »

Hello, could someone point me towards a collection of canon information (i.e. mainlined) about saurians and their canon (mainlined) history? I am writing a saurian campaign and would like to remain consistent with the mainline. The wiki seems out of date and contains possibly non-mainlined information with unclear origins (for example, I don't remember reading about "the Hatching" in the mainline campaigns and am not sure where that comes from).

A list of what I know:

- Saurians are nocturnal and have a moon-centred culture.
- Saurian warriors are generally female; augurs are generally male.
- Saurians excel in astronomy and astrology.
- Saurians are short-lived, with few living beyond ten years.
- Before humans arrived on the Mainland, an important group of saurians lived in the Green Swamp and have a culture centred around the dragon Shek'kahan; the dragon was slain and the saurian culture destroyed by King Haldric I. (Rise of Wesnoth)
- Before humans arrived on the Mainland, there was a saurian capital in the Swamp of Dread called Saurgrath; the capital was destroyed and the population massacred by elves during the transitional period between King Haldric I and King Haldric II. (Legend of Wesmere)
- Saurians look like highly neotenized drakes. (Winds of Fate)
- There was a notable saurian named Vendraxis who witnessed the (re)birth of the first lich on the Mainland and know their secrets. (Secrets of the Ancients)
- Saurians have four fingers and three toes (possibly with a vestigial fourth toe at the back, similar to chickens).
holypaladin

Re: Saurian Mainline Canon and Info ?

Post by holypaladin »

fishrose wrote: April 10th, 2024, 1:24 pm Hello, could someone point me towards a collection of canon information (i.e. mainlined) about saurians and their canon (mainlined) history? I am writing a saurian campaign and would like to remain consistent with the mainline. The wiki seems out of date and contains possibly non-mainlined information with unclear origins (for example, I don't remember reading about "the Hatching" in the mainline campaigns and am not sure where that comes from).

A list of what I know:

- Before humans arrived on the Mainland, an important group of saurians lived in the Green Swamp and have a culture centred around the dragon Shek'kahan; the dragon was slain and the saurian culture destroyed by King Haldric I. (Rise of Wesnoth)
- Before humans arrived on the Mainland, there was a saurian capital in the Swamp of Dread called Saurgrath; the capital was destroyed and the population massacred by elves during the transitional period between King Haldric I and King Haldric II. (Legend of Wesmere)
- There was a notable saurian named Vendraxis who witnessed the (re)birth of the first lich on the Mainland and know their secrets. (Secrets of the Ancients)
- Saurians have four fingers and three toes (possibly with a vestigial fourth toe at the back, similar to chickens).
Saurians are from eggs, we see in it Legend of Wesmere
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
fishrose

Post by fishrose »

On a related note: is there an existing effort to write new description text for the Saurian Prophet and the Saurian Seer units? I see that they are in Default Era, but still lack unique descriptions.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

fishrose wrote: April 10th, 2024, 7:49 pm On a related note: is there an existing effort to write new description text for the Saurian Prophet and the Saurian Seer units? I see that they are in Default Era, but still lack unique descriptions.
Nope. but feel free to suggest your version of the descriptions in a forum topic.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

I made a campaign called 'The Thelien Attack' that details more aspects of Saurian culture and lore. It is set after 'The Son of the Black Eye' campaign. Only 6 scenarios long, so feel free to have a look.
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

fishrose wrote: April 10th, 2024, 1:24 pm Hello, could someone point me towards a collection of canon information (i.e. mainlined) about saurians and their canon (mainlined) history? I am writing a saurian campaign and would like to remain consistent with the mainline. The wiki seems out of date and contains possibly non-mainlined information with unclear origins (for example, I don't remember reading about "the Hatching" in the mainline campaigns and am not sure where that comes from).

A list of what I know:

I made a campaign "Vendraxis Prophecy" here you follow a saurian group on their "hatching", a task what saurians do, if their tribe gets to big. The Player will meet here Vendraxis as antagonist. Here we get some knowledge what he did after Secret of the Ancients. (I plan right now a Campaign "Vendraxis Journey" what will highlight his path).
I also maintain two older campaigns "Forgotten Legacy" and "Across the Ocean".
Across the Ocean does not reflect the lore very well in my eyes.
Forgotten Legacy neither.

And maybe you are intereseted in my Saurian Sprites. You can find them in the Add-on Server under Refumees Saurian Pack.

Other Campaigns that I know are Xalzars Quest and Roar of the Woses.

But to be honest, UMC are not really mainline canon, what are you looking for.

You already got everything I guess.
Except:
- In the Son of Blackeye we meet Inarix. There is not much said about him, only that he is allied to the orcs, as I remember correctly. Those saurians are from the Black Marsh.
- Saurians live in inhospitality areas, like swamps or underground. Therefore you can find Saurians in deep underground (Heir to the Throne, close to the scepter of the fire)
- Saurians have weak arms and strong legs (that was a note, that a developer wrote once), therefore they are fighting with a spear and the attack animation is jumping right into the enemy.
- in Dead Water we meet saurians, here they have slaves. It suggest, that saurians do not kill every enemy, sometimes they capture slaves.
Another fact that is missed

Yeah I'm quite late to the party, haha.
I'm more activ on discord, if you have questions feel free to write there. There you will find information much faster.
https://discord.com/invite/battleforwesnoth
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

Refumee wrote: Yesterday, 9:46 pm - Saurians live in inhospitality areas, like swamps or underground. Therefore you can find Saurians in deep underground (Heir to the Throne, close to the scepter of the fire)
Are you sure? I don't remember any saurians close to scepter of fire
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

holypaladin wrote: Today, 8:17 pm
Refumee wrote: Yesterday, 9:46 pm - Saurians live in inhospitality areas, like swamps or underground. Therefore you can find Saurians in deep underground (Heir to the Throne, close to the scepter of the fire)
Are you sure? I don't remember any saurians close to scepter of fire
Here is the Code from Scenario 17 Scepter of Fire.
I do not know, why orcs can recruit saurians, but they are there.

Code: Select all

[side]
        type=Orcish Warlord
        side=6
        canrecruit=yes
        controller=ai
        [ai]
            leader_value=10
            recruitment_pattern=fighter,fighter,scout
        [/ai]
#ifdef EASY
        recruit=Ogre,Goblin Knight,Wolf Rider,Troll Whelp
#else
        recruit=Troll,Ogre,Goblin Knight,Wolf Rider,Troll Whelp,Saurian Skirmisher
#endif
        team_name=orcs
        user_team_name=_"Orcs"

{GOLD 10 20 30}
        {INCOME 2 4 6}
    [/side]
    [side]
        type=Orcish Warlord
        side=7
        canrecruit=yes
        controller=ai
        [ai]
            leader_value=10
            recruitment_pattern=fighter,fighter,scout
        [/ai]
#ifdef EASY
        recruit=Wolf Rider,Goblin Impaler
#else
        recruit=Goblin Knight,Wolf Rider,Goblin Spearman,Goblin Impaler,Saurian Skirmisher
#endif
        team_name=orcs
        user_team_name=_"Orcs"
        {GOLD 20 30 40}
        {INCOME 2 4 6}
        {FLAG_VARIANT6 ragged}
    [/side]
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

Wow, I never noticed saurians in this scenario but it's interesting, thank You for information. I remember saurians in HTtT in cave scenario where we ally woses and fight undead
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"