Saurian Mainline Canon and Info ?

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fishrose

Saurian Mainline Canon and Info ?

Post by fishrose »

Hello, could someone point me towards a collection of canon information (i.e. mainlined) about saurians and their canon (mainlined) history? I am writing a saurian campaign and would like to remain consistent with the mainline. The wiki seems out of date and contains possibly non-mainlined information with unclear origins (for example, I don't remember reading about "the Hatching" in the mainline campaigns and am not sure where that comes from).

A list of what I know:

- Saurians are nocturnal and have a moon-centred culture.
- Saurian warriors are generally female; augurs are generally male.
- Saurians excel in astronomy and astrology.
- Saurians are short-lived, with few living beyond ten years.
- Before humans arrived on the Mainland, an important group of saurians lived in the Green Swamp and have a culture centred around the dragon Shek'kahan; the dragon was slain and the saurian culture destroyed by King Haldric I. (Rise of Wesnoth)
- Before humans arrived on the Mainland, there was a saurian capital in the Swamp of Dread called Saurgrath; the capital was destroyed and the population massacred by elves during the transitional period between King Haldric I and King Haldric II. (Legend of Wesmere)
- Saurians look like highly neotenized drakes. (Winds of Fate)
- There was a notable saurian named Vendraxis who witnessed the (re)birth of the first lich on the Mainland and know their secrets. (Secrets of the Ancients)
- Saurians have four fingers and three toes (possibly with a vestigial fourth toe at the back, similar to chickens).
holypaladin

Re: Saurian Mainline Canon and Info ?

Post by holypaladin »

fishrose wrote: April 10th, 2024, 1:24 pm Hello, could someone point me towards a collection of canon information (i.e. mainlined) about saurians and their canon (mainlined) history? I am writing a saurian campaign and would like to remain consistent with the mainline. The wiki seems out of date and contains possibly non-mainlined information with unclear origins (for example, I don't remember reading about "the Hatching" in the mainline campaigns and am not sure where that comes from).

A list of what I know:

- Saurians are nocturnal and have a moon-centred culture.
- Saurian warriors are generally female; augurs are generally male.
- Saurians excel in astronomy and astrology.
- Saurians are short-lived, with few living beyond ten years.
- Before humans arrived on the Mainland, an important group of saurians lived in the Green Swamp and have a culture centred around the dragon Shek'kahan; the dragon was slain and the saurian culture destroyed by King Haldric I. (Rise of Wesnoth)
- Before humans arrived on the Mainland, there was a saurian capital in the Swamp of Dread called Saurgrath; the capital was destroyed and the population massacred by elves during the transitional period between King Haldric I and King Haldric II. (Legend of Wesmere)
- Saurians look like highly neotenized drakes. (Winds of Fate)
- There was a notable saurian named Vendraxis who witnessed the (re)birth of the first lich on the Mainland and know their secrets. (Secrets of the Ancients)
- Saurians have four fingers and three toes (possibly with a vestigial fourth toe at the back, similar to chickens).
Saurians are from eggs, we see in it Legend of Wesmere
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
fishrose

Post by fishrose »

On a related note: is there an existing effort to write new description text for the Saurian Prophet and the Saurian Seer units? I see that they are in Default Era, but still lack unique descriptions.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

fishrose wrote: April 10th, 2024, 7:49 pm On a related note: is there an existing effort to write new description text for the Saurian Prophet and the Saurian Seer units? I see that they are in Default Era, but still lack unique descriptions.
Nope. but feel free to suggest your version of the descriptions in a forum topic.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

I made a campaign called 'The Thelien Attack' that details more aspects of Saurian culture and lore. It is set after 'The Son of the Black Eye' campaign. Only 6 scenarios long, so feel free to have a look.