The Rootless

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: The Rootless

Post by Konrad2 »

Anekron wrote: April 10th, 2024, 8:07 pm Good points! I wanted to keep the core of the scenarios close to vanilla to better teach new players the basics, but I agree it might not make much sense lore-wise. Thanks for playing the campaign, I'll think on what to do with merfolk & woses.

With the wolves I wanted to add a bit of dark humour and showcase how orcs see poor gobos as replaceable. Using piglet meat instead is a cool suggestion, though I don't want to complicate things too much for the player...
Ftr, I think the merfolk can be explained as having agreed to support the elves in this fight, since they are allies with the humans, and said humans are mad at those orcs anyway.
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

Konrad2 wrote: April 10th, 2024, 8:35 pm
Anekron wrote: April 10th, 2024, 8:07 pm Good points! I wanted to keep the core of the scenarios close to vanilla to better teach new players the basics, but I agree it might not make much sense lore-wise. Thanks for playing the campaign, I'll think on what to do with merfolk & woses.

With the wolves I wanted to add a bit of dark humour and showcase how orcs see poor gobos as replaceable. Using piglet meat instead is a cool suggestion, though I don't want to complicate things too much for the player...
Ftr, I think the merfolk can be explained as having agreed to support the elves in this fight, since they are allies with the humans, and said humans are mad at those orcs anyway.
Even if it would be more reasonable for merfolk to have it's own team instead of just being in elvish team. But still their presence complicates plot. As for ending scenario I was suprised when Lord Logarmier just survived and didn't commented it a bit (Wasn't he the target of the attack?) He appears in Legend of Wesmere so he rather survived but ending leaved me some logic holes.
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

Anekron wrote: April 10th, 2024, 8:07 pm
In first scenario our team escapes from being fodder cannons :lol: :hmm:
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

holypaladin wrote: April 11th, 2024, 6:27 pm
Even if it would be more reasonable for merfolk to have it's own team instead of just being in elvish team. But still their presence complicates plot. As for ending scenario I was suprised when Lord Logarmier just survived and didn't commented it a bit (Wasn't he the target of the attack?) He appears in Legend of Wesmere so he rather survived but ending leaved me some logic holes.
I agree that it would be neat if there was a better reason. I do believe the merfolk have to be there, to be a counter point for the naga.
Anekron

Post by Anekron »

Yeah, not having the merfolk could hurt the gameplay.
As for ending scenario I was suprised when Lord Logarmier just survived and didn't commented it a bit (Wasn't he the target of the attack?) He appears in Legend of Wesmere so he rather survived but ending leaved me some logic holes.
I don't think Logalmier actually appears in LoW, or at least a quick grep search didn't show anything. I thought it much more poignant to force Logalmier to live with the consequences of his actions. I wanted to imply in the epilogue that he was disgraced and banished, which I consider a much worse fate for a person like him. Had he died to the wave, some elves might still consider him a martyr. Arshag still won since the elvish army was pretty much destroyed, meaning the orcs are now free to settle the North.
Developer of The Rootless, an orcish campaign aimed at beginners.
Anekron

Post by Anekron »

In first scenario our team escapes from being fodder cannons.
Yeah, but that won't really change how orcs (including Arshag) largely see goblins as lesser and replaceable. I don't want to portray orcs as paragons of virtue, I rather enjoy their rather crude and often violent nature. :)
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

Anekron wrote: April 12th, 2024, 7:40 am Yeah, not having the merfolk could hurt the gameplay.
As for ending scenario I was suprised when Lord Logarmier just survived and didn't commented it a bit (Wasn't he the target of the attack?) He appears in Legend of Wesmere so he rather survived but ending leaved me some logic holes.
I don't think Logalmier actually appears in LoW, or at least a quick grep search didn't show anything. I thought it much more poignant to force Logalmier to live with the consequences of his actions. I wanted to imply in the epilogue that he was disgraced and banished, which I consider a much worse fate for a person like him. Had he died to the wave, some elves might still consider him a martyr. Arshag still won since the elvish army was pretty much destroyed, meaning the orcs are now free to settle the North.
Sounds more interesting then simple death and would be nice to see on screen, I am waiting for update :D
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
Anekron

Patches 1.2.4 & 1.0.5

Post by Anekron »

Both Wesnoth 1.16 and Wesnoth 1.18 versions of the campaign have been updated today.

1.0.5 (for legacy Wesnoth 1.16)
  • fixed most of the grammar errors and typos discovered on 1.1.X and 1.2.X
  • backported Mech's new Troll Shaman sprites (the Sage remains 1.2+ exclusive)
  • backported some bugfixes from 1.2.4
  • backported some QoL features 1.2.4
  • added notice informing the player that the campaign is no longer supported on 1.18
1.2.4 (for Wesnoth 1.18)
  • a small S7 bugfix preventing an incorrect Toruk sprite from showing in epilogue
  • implemented new Mech's sprites for Stuurg across the campaign
As implied above, today marks the end of the support cycle for Wesnoth 1.16, meaning the 1.0.X legacy branch will get no further feature updates. I might do bugfixes in cases where the issue can be very quickly fixed, but would strongly recommend upgrading to Wesnoth 1.18 and the current 1.2.X main branch.
Otdoy

Post by Otdoy »

What a fun campaign. Has it all - big battles, heroes, dungeon crawl, an apocalyptic ending. But what's this... a bonus scenario... and a warning from Anekron, that I might yet regret playing this campaign. Pish posh, bring on ze challenge! We'll see who has the last laugh!

Here we go... let's move like this... take this you fiend! Take that!
Oh here's a handsome fellow, he'll be handy... let's get him into position.... and... blammo!

Oh! I got an achievement! Wait, there's achievements for this campaign? Let's see...
OMG there's a ton of achievements :shock: that I didn't get. NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo....

I regret everything! Curse you Anekron.... :augh: :augh: :lol:
Anekron

Post by Anekron »

Oh, this comment made my day. Thanks a lot for the kind words.

If you're a completionist, I have bad news for you: it's impossible to get all the achievements in a single playthrough anyway. :D You can get all the visible ones (except for the other story branch), but some of the hidden ones are mutually exclusive. Each of the 6 dwarvish gifts is connected to one achievement, for example, but you can only take one per playthrough with you. ;)
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Completionist. That must be some sort of sub-species of the perfectionist unless I miss my guess. :- )