Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ilpiero

Giving a Try with portraits

Post by ilpiero »

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, I played Wesnoth some time ago and I really enjoyed it.
I'm an artist, and I was wondering if there is need for some portrait i could do in my spare time.

Which subject do you suggest for a first evaluation?

Thanks,

P
mentos987

Re: Giving a Try with portraits

Post by mentos987 »

Welcome.

All I wanted to say, I'm sure someone will be around to take you up on your offer soon.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Take a look here: viewtopic.php?t=58107. Do you have a gallery we can look at?
ilpiero

Post by ilpiero »

Hello,

I'm mostly a traditional artist, i was thinking to do a sketch just for fun, then I'll let you judge whether it's up to your expectations...

I found these:

Female Captain (Mari)
Asheviere - 4 variations

But I'm a bit lost in the website, where should I find info about the characters?

Thanks,

P.
blocksmatch

Post by blocksmatch »

I'm also a new artist on Wesnoth. Having just started drawingmario games, I can only make portraits from simple characters with little detail. I really wish someone could point me to a website or forum where I can learn from veteran artists to develop my own skills. Any advice is appreciated!
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

ilpiero wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 9:50 pm Female Captain (Mari)
Asheviere - 4 variations

But I'm a bit lost in the website, where should I find info about the characters?

Thanks,

P.
There's a campaign on the 1.18.x add-ons server called The South Guard- Revised
Where Mari is located, Ashverie has a cameo, but i can't imagine all 4 portraits would be for that, but it's not a bad place to get a feel for Mari. (Though tbf the character and entire campaign is under development atm) There's also a generalized plan of where the campaigns are heading as a whole. viewtopic.php?t=58149
blocksmatch wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 10:24 am I'm also a new artist on Wesnoth. Having just started drawingmario games, I can only make portraits from simple characters with little detail. I really wish someone could point me to a website or forum where I can learn from veteran artists to develop my own skills. Any advice is appreciated!
If you're looking for a wesnoth reference there's always the pinnacle LordBob. But idk of any specific guide or development process. LordBob has many of his works here. viewtopic.php?t=30742
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
ilpiero

Post by ilpiero »

Here it's a first sketch for Mari, i could do a little better or a little worse, but that's pretty much my try at the style of the portraits in the game (which are very good).

P.
Attachments
mari.png
DuncanDill

Post by DuncanDill »

Wow, that seems good to me! I think the expression is a bit strange though, kind of blank. The lower left hand could also do some work, and the pose overall is a bit too neutral! But I really impressed with how it looks, seems like we have another portrait maker for Wesnoth now, this is really promising. Overall, I'd give a bit more of a pose/emotion to the portrait and widen it up a bit.
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts - William Shakespeare
viewtopic.php?p=689462#p689462 Gaze at my art :D
ilpiero

Post by ilpiero »

I went for a neutral/martial look, but yes, i get you, it might be too much.
I'll give it another shot, I might use to warmup a litte.

What do you think she should be doing?

P.
DuncanDill

Post by DuncanDill »

ilpiero wrote: May 6th, 2024, 6:57 pm I went for a neutral/martial look, but yes, i get you, it might be too much.
I'll give it another shot, I might use to warmup a litte.

What do you think she should be doing?

P.
I sort of expect her to lean forward with a more determined expression. The holding of the hilt might still be good with that. Kind of hard to explain tho lol :whistle:
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts - William Shakespeare
viewtopic.php?p=689462#p689462 Gaze at my art :D
Dalas120
Developer

Post by Dalas120 »

Very nice! Note that the Mari "Female Captain" unit is missing her left arm - that probably should have been put in the original post! She does indeed wield a sword, and does wear armor without a helmet.

The unit can be found in Yumi's "The South Guard, Revised" add-on, on the 1.18 server.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

It's a good sketch and good reference for character design. I do want to point out that we only accept digital art into the game though.

As for Mari's character sheet, I think the expression is good. Armor is good too, perhaps making it a bit weird might make her more memorable? She doesn't have short hair right now, but I can change that if you draw a digital art portrait. She's probably in her twenties so not that old.

Right now she doesn't have her left arm but I'm thinking of adding it back anyway. Also her hair color is red right now but I'm flexible with that too.
ilpiero

Post by ilpiero »

I will make it digital, I just can draw only on paper, coloring is another story.
I imagined an older woman from the beginning of the campaign.

Here is what i got so far:

Longer Hair
Younger
Missing left arm (?)
More elaborated armor? (is the flower symbol ok?)

P.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Yes to all.

I posted the tentative sprites here: viewtopic.php?p=688865#p688865. I'm still working on them, but can adjust as needed.
ilpiero

Post by ilpiero »

In progress... I should be able to finish the sketch in some days ("day job" ... sorry ;)).