why the ulfserker whining?

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dtw

why the ulfserker whining?

Post by dtw »

i just want to get this straight without reading 17 threads:

the only recent change to the ulfserker is that berserk is now only offensive but that means it is suddenly unbalanced? No changes to resistance or move or defense?

If this is the case then I'm truly amazed by the response - it is suddenly this super unit because, as far as i can see, it doesn't kick your ass when you attack it?

What sort of idiot would attack a berserk unit with melee anyway? It just calls for a tactics change - i fail to see how it makes it harder to kil; which must be the cause of all the it's unbalanced debate!

i'm am perplexed
markus_2

Re: why the ulfserker whining?

Post by markus_2 »

dibblethewrecker wrote:What sort of idiot would attack a berserk unit with melee anyway? It just calls for a tactics change - i fail to see how it makes it harder to kill; which must be the cause of all the it's unbalanced debate!
Actually it does make a lot of sense to attack an berserker if it is wounded, even with melee units. That is, provided one either has the superior melee unit or, when matched, the ulfserker has less hitpoints left than the unit attacking him.
As I understand it, it is felt that the immense tactical advantage of having a unit which either kills its opponent or leaves its own space empty after attacking (by dying) was counterbalanced by the need to protect them well after their attack. (Though as someone pointed out in another thread, this is more an issue of tactical balance, not the usual unit balance.)
Before, you had to surround your berserker completly to ensure its survival. Now, depending on the number of heavy hitters and ranged attackers around, it will often suffice to simply close ranks again, so the berserker can not be attacked by more than 2 units. In other words, now you get the line-breaking and crucial-unit killing of the berserker without the downside of having to either bend your own lines around the berserker or loosing the unit to the next attack.
On top of which, you can now use berserkers quite well to establish a Zone of Control, whereas before this was tricky since the enemy could also kill them in one blow.
Faction wise, the ghost/wraith line is no longer the bane of the berserkers it used to be, since berserkers can retreat after being attacked.

hope this helps
markus
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

It's my contention that the Ulfserker was unbalanced even before the change, and I did complain about it then.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Re: why the ulfserker whining?

Post by Dragonking »

dibblethewrecker wrote:What sort of idiot would attack a berserk unit with melee anyway?
What sort of idiot would NOT attack ulf, if he can exchange 14gold elvish fighter/spearman or 12gold troll for 18gold ulf??? Especialy if ulf is in forest, next to village, mountain etc...
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
dtw

Post by dtw »

What sort of idiot would NOT attack ulf, if he can exchange 14gold elvish fighter/spearman or 12gold troll for 18gold ulf??? Especialy if ulf is in forest, next to village, mountain etc...
Assuming you win and it doesn't kill three of your units first!

Anyway, thanks for your feedback, markus seemed to cover the tactical angles i couldn't see before so thanks to him and EP, I see you did complain about it before and that you don't advocate a revision to pre 0.9 but rather balancing in some other way