BfW 0.7.6 crash when trying to save a game

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Christophe33

BfW 0.7.6 crash when trying to save a game

Post by Christophe33 »

BfW quits each time I try to save a game, whether from a new campaign or a previously saved game. I tried both ctrl-S and clicking on the menu to select "save" and got the same results. It's with the new 0.7.6 compiled by Sithrandel. I believ it is specific to Mac OSX but I don't know if other Mac user have noticed that yet.
I''m using an emac G4 with system 10.2.8
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Star Gazer

Re: BfW 0.7.6 crash when trying to save a game

Post by Star Gazer »

Christophe33 wrote:BfW quits each time I try to save a game, whether from a new campaign or a previously saved game. I tried both ctrl-S and clicking on the menu to select "save" and got the same results. It's with the new 0.7.6 compiled by Sithrandel. I believ it is specific to Mac OSX but I don't know if other Mac user have noticed that yet.
I''m using an emac G4 with system 10.2.8
Yep, absolutely the same; PowerMac QS 1.467, Mac OS 10.2.8.

No way around it. Appears to autosave OK, but no manual saves.

Ouch! :?
Star Gazer

Mac OS problems

Post by Star Gazer »

It appears to go deeper than that - also completely crashed on a 'you have failed' event, following death of Delfador.

No kernel panic involved, some graphics garbage across lower screen plus pink upper screen momentarilly, program then quit.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

Ouch... I didn't check the binary fully. If I did that it would delay releasing it by quite a while :-S

This doesn't sound like a nice bug at all. I still need to do some further compiler updates on the compile machine so perhaps it will vanish then (hopes desperately).

I shall certainly look into it. It seems easily replicable so should be fairly easy to track down.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I just thought it might be helpful to note that on my system (10.3.3) I seem to be able to save and load properly - though the scenario editor does crash every time I try to import or export a map.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
kilder
Translator

Post by kilder »

Sangel wrote:I just thought it might be helpful to note that on my system (10.3.3) I seem to be able to save and load properly - though the scenario editor does crash every time I try to import or export a map.
I also have 10.3.3 and I can't reproduce that bug. I haven't tested the editor though
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

The Editor worked fine the first time I opened it (before I opened BfW 0.7.6) but then always crash.
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

I went through a scenario and BfW crash at the end after I win and before loading the next scenario.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

The latest version of the editor is at:

http://www.fairydreams.co.uk/editor.dmg

Could you please try it and see how that works. It should now feature campaign export, but if it crashes that is no good.

I think there might be some compiler issues as I had just upgraded the compiler. I'll check this out tomorrow.
l'ultimo cruco

Re: Mac OS problems

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

Star Gazer wrote:It appears to go deeper than that - also completely crashed on a 'you have failed' event, following death of Delfador.

On MacOS X 10.2.7 same crashes as described by the others but BfW crashes always as well on the successful end of a scenario "the elves besieged"; never came farther than that :(

The machine is a pb alu 15 @1,25 GHz, 512 Mb Ram
Ciao
Kristian
cmoore

End of success crash

Post by cmoore »

I am getting the same bug. Once I successfully finish the first mission on the first scenerio it crashes. Running Mac OSx 10.2.8. and the latest build of the game.

Seen some suggestions on how to work around it on other list but I am afraid I am not that much of a power user and am not sure what to do if I am not building the game myself and just running it from the icon.

C-
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Sithrandel wrote:The latest version of the editor is at:

http://www.fairydreams.co.uk/editor.dmg

Could you please try it and see how that works. It should now feature campaign export, but if it crashes that is no good.

I think there might be some compiler issues as I had just upgraded the compiler. I'll check this out tomorrow.
Err... now the editor won't even run. It asks me to run it in the same folder as Battle for Wesnoth (even though I already am), then crashes.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

On 10.3.3 load / save works for me.

Does anyone have any load / save crashes on 10.3.3 or only on 10.2.8?

Sadly when I have to move to XCode I had to ditch my 10.2.8 system :-(
Petrock

Post by Petrock »

I'm on 10.3.3 and everything is fine. The editor included in the wesnoth.org copy of 0.7.6 crashed on launch, but the new one was fine when I moved it to the same directory as BfW. The game itself has not given me any problems. Is there an incompatibility being missed in Interface Builder? That's where I remember most incompatibilities being found, though that may have been specific to OS 9.
Star Gazer

Post by Star Gazer »

Sithrandel wrote:On 10.3.3 load / save works for me.

Does anyone have any load / save crashes on 10.3.3 or only on 10.2.8?

Sadly when I have to move to XCode I had to ditch my 10.2.8 system :-(
Oh dear, I wondered about that when I saw that the dev files were to be built in XCode.

I do hope it is retrievable, otherwise all we poor mortals still using Jaguar are going to miss out on future builds. :cry: