Turn limit...?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Privan

Turn limit...?

Post by Privan »

Is there any way to get rid of the turn limit? I'd like to try a few maps (For eample, the Heir campaign mission 1) without a turn limit so I can actually try and beat them.
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Turn limit...?

Post by turin »

Privan wrote:Is there any way to get rid of the turn limit? I'd like to try a few maps (For eample, the Heir campaign mission 1) without a turn limit so I can actually try and beat them.
there shouldn't be a way to do it in the campaign. the turn limit is vital to the campaign. I learned that with the campaign i made.

However, it would be good to have no turn limit in multiplayer. That is one FPI that is actually good.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
miyo

Post by miyo »

unlimited turns in multiplayer have been there since few release ago.

- Miyo
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

miyo wrote:unlimited turns in multiplayer have been there since few release ago.

- Miyo
oops...sorry :oops: .

other than that, i can't see a point for no turn limit. all of the scenarios are possible with their turn limit.

And if you really want to test it, change the scenario file so it is 100 turns not 16.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Privan

Post by Privan »

turin wrote:
miyo wrote:unlimited turns in multiplayer have been there since few release ago.

- Miyo
oops...sorry :oops: .

other than that, i can't see a point for no turn limit. all of the scenarios are possible with their turn limit.

And if you really want to test it, change the scenario file so it is 100 turns not 16.
I feel like an idiot, I should have tried that. Not used to games being so accessible:)

The only reason I want to go with the no turn limit is that it's impossible to kill the enemy (going with my example) in the Heir first mission, but I want to try doing just that. Ergo, no turn limit (or a very high limit)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

You can just set the turn limit to '-1' in the scenario file to make the turns unlimited.

However, as turin said, turn limits are vital to campaigns.

I know that turn limits are one of those things that annoy players, and if there was a better solution I could think of, we'd use it, but really the game would be way too exploitable without turn limits.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Privan

Post by Privan »

I understsand, really. I don't want to ruin the campaign, and I understand their importance (and really, the only other methods I could imagine working is hard-coding the money you take with you or running a "supply chain" instead of using money you'd have to support your troops with food or what not that didn't carry over to the next mission).

I just want a chance to play the missions you aren't meant to kill everyone in, you have to just last for a set period of time or run away, stuff like that. Because of the turn limit it's impossible to beat those missions again, look at the Heir Campaign Mission 1, you can't kill all three generals in the time alotted, it's impossible to cut through the enemy, hit the general, get the next one, and so on in the turns available, especially with that southern base. However, I think by massing up cheap Elven Fighters into the forests you can hold off the southern group long enough for the allies to stem the tide up north, then you can retreat, let them manage the southern defense while you clear the two generals up top and then with the allies take down the southern general. I want to see if that's possible.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Dave wrote:I know that turn limits are one of those things that annoy players, and if there was a better solution I could think of, we'd use it, but really the game would be way too exploitable without turn limits.
So true! ;) At first, I was a little "turned off" by the turn limits, but after a few days with the game, I do think they are an essential part. As a new player, I am mostly concerned with surviving, but I imagine that once I've mastered this, the limits will be what keeps Wesnoth challenging.

Still, there is a certain element of frustration when you finally get the upper hand in a scenario, and then you run out of turns. Hmm, perhaps a compromise could be that a player can continue playing after all turns are used up, but the units do not gain experience anymore. That's a little esoteric, though, and messes with the "mimesis" of the game.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

@Privan: yeah I see what you want now :)

I was actually considering making a 'challenge' for people to try to 'win' the first scenario, or at least survive as long as they could. I think that could be a fun competition to have :)

Michael wrote: Still, there is a certain element of frustration when you finally get the upper hand in a scenario, and then you run out of turns. Hmm, perhaps a compromise could be that a player can continue playing after all turns are used up, but the units do not gain experience anymore. That's a little esoteric, though, and messes with the "mimesis" of the game.
Actually that is an idea I have thought of. Make it so if time runs out, your villages don't produce any more gold, and perhaps your units don't gain any more experience.

One of the main reasons I haven't done this is because, to be perfectly honest, if you fail to beat a scenario in the time limit, you're in pretty big trouble anyway.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Dave wrote:One of the main reasons I haven't done this is because, to be perfectly honest, if you fail to beat a scenario in the time limit, you're in pretty big trouble anyway.
I'm afraid I must object. Once one has the upper hand, it has been my experience that it rarely fails to remain that way. Consequently, there are several campaigns where I got the upper hand only near the end, as the rest of their units have, physically, blocked me. Especially when undead get desperate and are in a corner. They defend very well as a last ditch effort. One scenario in the orcish campaign is not particularly difficult, but the number of turns makes it so I just barely squeak by winning with a lot of save-reload "technique". I don't mind the turn limit, but it is not extraordinary to be winning and yet lose, not at all.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

In those cases, I suspect the Turn Limit needs tweaking. For instance, not enough scenarios make use of the ability to set the turn limit individually for each difficulty level.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Insinuator wrote:
Dave wrote:One of the main reasons I haven't done this is because, to be perfectly honest, if you fail to beat a scenario in the time limit, you're in pretty big trouble anyway.
I'm afraid I must object. Once one has the upper hand, it has been my experience that it rarely fails to remain that way. Consequently, there are several campaigns where I got the upper hand only near the end, as the rest of their units have, physically, blocked me. Especially when undead get desperate and are in a corner. They defend very well as a last ditch effort. One scenario in the orcish campaign is not particularly difficult, but the number of turns makes it so I just barely squeak by winning with a lot of save-reload "technique". I don't mind the turn limit, but it is not extraordinary to be winning and yet lose, not at all.
I didn't mean you're in trouble with respect to winning the scenario, I meant your gold is probably going to be sufficiently low that you'll struggle in future scenarios.

However there are some scenarios where the turn limit is a real challenge, and that is either intended by the scenario designer, or should be changed.
Sangel wrote: not enough scenarios make use of the ability to set the turn limit individually for each difficulty level.
I concur. This is a good thing to use more, especially since no-one can argue that it in fact makes it more difficult on easier levels, unlike they can with number of units. (Well, except for a scenario like Valley of Death ;) )

David