First Strike for Pikeman?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
miyo

Post by miyo »

I am not sure if Spearman should have first strike.

Halberdier -> loses ranged attack and gets first strike.
Swordsman -> loses ranged attack but gets many "powerful" swings with his sword.

- Miyo
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

miyo wrote:I am not sure if Spearman should have first strike.

Halberdier -> loses ranged attack and gets first strike.
Swordsman -> loses ranged attack but gets many "powerful" swings with his sword.

- Miyo
Halberdier has just as powerful, if not more powerful, attacks as swordsmen. it goes 12-2 -> 14-4, or 6-4 -> 13-4. so saying swordsmen gain 'many powerful swings' doesn't make sense, since both sides get them.

maybe halberdier should be changed to 18-2? but then it would be too much like the grand knight...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

miyo wrote:I am not sure if Spearman should have first strike.
Well, I'm not completely sure they should either, but do look at Spearman vs Elvish Fighter without 1st strike for the Spearman. The only way the spearman is ever better is against units that are very weak against piercing attacks.

It's not like '1st strike' is a super-powerful ability. Just a kinda nice one to have.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

First strike is weak enough that I don't think it is going to overpower a unit like the spearman, but we'll have to see it in practice.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Skrimishing units should still hit first when attacking units with first strike.
AT

um

Post by AT »

Um... why?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Probably if you can't stop someone from moving around near you, you can't hit it first either.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Darth Fool wrote:Skrimishing units should still hit first when attacking units with first strike.
we are not starting the arms race. ;)

really, i don't think we should have specialties that cancel out other specialties and specialties that are the same as others except they can't get overridden etc. each specialty should do one thing. all skirmishing can do is allow the unit to move freely between enemy ZoCs.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager

Right. Abilities that cancel other abilities should not exist unless those other abilities are very common. (Skirmisher cancels ZoC, for example.)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

ZOC is not an ability, it's a rule of the game
Elvish_Pillager

Boucman wrote:ZOC is not an ability, it's a rule of the game
Like I said. It's very common. Although there are some units that don't have it. Invisible units don't take away your moves when they ambush you, which is weird.[/b]
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

it's still not an ability, ability in wesnoth have a very precise meaning, they are special rules that only apply to a given set of units, are named on the unit characteristics, and are set by the ability= line in the WML description of the unit

think of abilities as "special power"

ZOC is not a special power. not having a ZOC would be but AFAIK doesn't exist
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Boucman wrote:ZOC is not an ability, it's a rule of the game
Like I said. It's very common. Although there are some units that don't have it. Invisible units don't take away your moves when they ambush you, which is weird.[/b]
units that are invisible are not really units [1], they just have the potential to become units because they can be discovered. so its not they are units without ZoC, they are not units at all.

[1] they have none of the properties of units, ZoC, the enemy can see it, can be attacked, etc. so i think it makes sense to not consider them as units.
The World of Orbivm
Shundread

Post by Shundread »

You know... this "First Strike" abillity is something to make horsemen fear. Its not something "just to make spearmen more interesting". It DOES make sense.

The spear/pike/halberd are long weapons, plus pikes/spears are made for countering horsemen. Pikemen prepared for the horsemen's charges so they had a shot of knocking the horsemen off their horses before being struck by their lances. (since the pikes are big spears and all)

Whatever, it makes sense, and whenever I'm able to justify it without blabblering nonsense I'll post again here. >(

-Shundread
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

turin wrote:units that are invisible are not really units [1], they just have the potential to become units because they can be discovered.
They also have the potential to become units by being moved by their controller.
turin wrote:1] they have none of the properties of units, ZoC, the enemy can see it, can be attacked, etc. so i think it makes sense to not consider them as units.
I believe invisible units cost upkeep, which is a property of units.
KISS- keep it simple, stupid

When reading the above quote from TWP, keep in mind the words of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry: "Language is the source of misunderstandings."