Seeing over water

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

In that case you can refer to my suggestion on the last page. It has no exceptions. :)

EDIT: two pages ago.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
joshbosh321

Post by joshbosh321 »

why does every discusion end up being an excited (cough, fanatic, cough) discusion about wesnoth "ideals"? Not saying they're not important, but if everyone debates them on every topic nothing will get done!!!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

joshbosh321 wrote:why does every discusion end up being an excited (cough, fanatic, cough) discusion about wesnoth "ideals"? Not saying they're not important, but if everyone debates them on every topic nothing will get done!!!
On most topics it is not discussed. However, the only topics that grow to 3< pages are those that either discuss art (and thus keep getting new art posted to them) or discuss wesnoth ideals (since everyone has different opinions on these).
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

joshbosh321 wrote:why does every discusion end up being an excited (cough, fanatic, cough) discusion about wesnoth "ideals"? Not saying they're not important, but if everyone debates them on every topic nothing will get done!!!
I agree. That's why I often end up just doing things rather than posting a discussion topic on them.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Being able to see over water, farther than you could normally move makes sense. Whether this should apply to other terrains is arguable.

So why not just make the change for water (and tundra if you really want to). I agree that some decisions can just be made by dave, and i doubt we'll notice the difference. Committees like to make mountains out of molehills. Some discussions are useful and some just go on too long.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

I don't see how this change would make the game more strategically interesting, and the KISS principle says we should choose gameplay and simplicity over realism.
And now, an argument for why the current system is realistic :wink:
Since EHIMWIMO[1], no one should be able to see 2 hexes across deep water. The reason they can see as far as they do is that they are scouting the area. (How this doesn't use movement will not be explained.)
.. It seems the FoW/shroud system is intended for cave scenarios, where cave wall should block sight. So it wouldn't really make sense to have a system where all units can see a certain distance.

[1]Each hex is miles wide, [2]IMO
[2]This explanation is not officially supported by Wesnoth.
KISS- keep it simple, stupid

When reading the above quote from TWP, keep in mind the words of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry: "Language is the source of misunderstandings."
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

The more I think about it the less I like the idea of having a minimum sight distance over water. From a gameplay perspecitve, it makes sense that you are able to see as far as you can move plus one, so you know what it is that you can do this turn. Assuming that you are dealing with units on the enemies side that have the same approximate movement over terrain, you end up with an equal ability to scout out ahead of where you are moving. The only time there is not a balance is when one side or the other can move better on the terrain in question, in which case they probably should be able to see over it better anyways