More unit levels

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Mika

More unit levels

Post by Mika »

I know what the fpi says about adding more levels to units but I still think it would be nice to have more ardvancment levels, as part of the fun is to nurture your troops. According to earlier posts adding more levels is not feasible because it would require too much new graphics, but I think I know a way around this.

My idea is that the leveling could be done in such a way that the units could earn stars (or something similar, consider them as a sort of mini-levels), after getting a certain amount of xp. A unit could have 0-2 stars, and would get some small bonuses(like +1 damage and +3 hp) for each star. When a unit that already has 2 stars is leveling up it evolves into a new type (like bowman -> ranger), starting the cycle again with 0 stars.
In the graphics department this would only require a star that could be drawn on the unit (like the health-meter).
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

However one of the most fun parts of levelling is seeing the new unit graphics, no?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Mika

Post by Mika »

Dave wrote:However one of the most fun parts of levelling is seeing the new unit graphics, no?

David
Yes, I agree. But what i suggested doesn't take away from that. You might have to wait a bit more to see the units advance so that they get new graphics, but there would be some smaller rewards "in between".
AT

well, i agree

Post by AT »

I agree there should be more levels; with graphics. HOWEVER!!!!, there are not even enough Level 1 charecters to make a real Dwarvish side in Multiplayer. I'm not trying to start a discussion on Dwarves, I just mean that right after Wesnoth 2.5 we should maybe start thinking about more levels.

Edited for spelling, but not very well.
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

More levels? Do you mean it takes longer to get to the power of the current 3rd level, or you can get more powerful that that? If the first, then fine, but i don't like the idea. and i dislike the idea of earning 'stars' or anything like that. military awards are rather new, first given (i think) in the Napoleonic Wars. It is a concept completely foreign to wesnoth.

If the second, assuredly not. no uber-units please!
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dacyn

Re: More unit levels

Post by Dacyn »

Mika wrote:I know what the fpi says about adding more levels to units but I still think it would be nice to have more ardvancment levels, as part of the fun is to nurture your troops. According to earlier posts adding more levels is not feasible because it would require too much new graphics, but I think I know a way around this.
This was not the reason more levels were rejected, though. And your solution has been considered before, perhaps it should go in the FPI too.
KISS- keep it simple, stupid

When reading the above quote from TWP, keep in mind the words of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry: "Language is the source of misunderstandings."
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Dacyn wrote:This was not the reason more levels were rejected, though. And your solution has been considered before, perhaps it should go in the FPI too.
perhaps not THE reason, but a potent one nonetheless. I want at least five levels for most troops, but what I really want is the new graphics that would come with them.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Jetryl wrote:
Dacyn wrote:This was not the reason more levels were rejected, though. And your solution has been considered before, perhaps it should go in the FPI too.
perhaps not THE reason, but a potent one nonetheless. I want at least five levels for most troops, but what I really want is the new graphics that would come with them.
I want much less than 5 levels. Why? I don't see the point in more. Giving more levels won't make the last level more powerful (this has been agreed on). It will probably make him advance slower, so he won't be useful to me as quickly (is this what you people want? I don't want it). I don't really see the point.

Also, adding more levels makes us more like all the other games that give a small bonus anytime something happens [1]. I prefer it this way, where you have to work hard to get a bonus, but the bonus is definitely worthwhile.

[1]: A good example of this is the Heroes in HoMM3. They gain XP for every battle they fight in, and advance almost every other battle. It makes it so you can't really be going like "two more kills and you advance... one more... c'mon, don't die... yay! he advanced!" it makes advancing almost inevitable.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Interesting. In a (much different) computer game I'm writing, I use the exact opposite-Your character improves whenever he kills something, without a system of levels at all.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

There are no plans to add more levels to most units, and unless we get a large influx of artists and playtesters, there won't be.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
miyo

Post by miyo »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Your character improves whenever he kills something, without a system of levels at all.
That has been discussed and that just is not the Wesnoth way.

- Miyo
Last edited by miyo on June 2nd, 2004, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Interesting. In a (much different) computer game I'm writing, I use the exact opposite-Your character improves whenever he kills something, without a system of levels at all.
Exactly. What i am saying is, if you add more levels, you are just making a system like the one described here. I don't like this system, and i don't think it works for wesnoth. with wesnoth, there are clear boundaries between levels, and i don't think adding 'awards' for XP or levels-between-levels will help that. In fact, it will greatly hurt it.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I totally agree. In fact, any 'battle' game needs discrete levels.
RPGs, though, need more of a gradient.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:I totally agree. In fact, any 'battle' game needs discrete levels.
RPGs, though, need more of a gradient.
true.

i also happen to think that the levels should be very different, not a gradient at all. that is why i don't want more levels.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

FWIW I'm not convinced that this 'gradient' thing is even necessarily a good idea in an RPG. Levelling up is fun.

One of the fun things about Wesnoth is its discreteness. How a small difference can make a big difference. We try to emphasize that, not hide it.

David