Dwarf allies.

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Khazar

Dwarf allies.

Post by Khazar »

Just an idea. Instead of having Dwarves allied with bandits and other riff-raff, why not have them ally with sort of indegenous mountain tribes? It doesn't seem characterful of Dwarves to ally with a bunch of bandits (IMO); and them allying with fierce mountatin marauders and warriors seems better, almost like they ally out of mutual respect for strength and resoluteness, and also to defend their ancient homelands. Whaddaya think?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think it could be reasonable for them to be allied with cobretti's barbarians.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Dwarf allies.

Post by turin »

Khazar wrote:Just an idea. Instead of having Dwarves allied with bandits and other riff-raff, why not have them ally with sort of indegenous mountain tribes? It doesn't seem characterful of Dwarves to ally with a bunch of bandits (IMO); and them allying with fierce mountatin marauders and warriors seems better, almost like they ally out of mutual respect for strength and resoluteness, and also to defend their ancient homelands. Whaddaya think?
why don't you read the forums before posting? :)

just joking, but really, there already are plans to have dwarves not allied with outlaws.

I don't like the idea of them aligning with barbarians, though. Which would be dominant? Elves are able to ally with humans because the humans want to, and it is plain who is boss. But there would probably be no agreement between these two; they would want to be separate. the dwarves would not agree to work under barbarians, and vv.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Khazar

Post by Khazar »

My bad. I got a lil' eager and wanted to toss an idea out.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Khazar wrote:My bad. I got a lil' eager and wanted to toss an idea out.
Well, actually, no one has proposed the idea you had. Although it had pretty much been decided not to keep dwarves alligned with outlaws.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I do think that the main problem with allying dwarves with a human mountain-type tribe is that the human mountain tribe would probably have very similiar units to what the dwarves have anyway.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Dwarf allies.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

turin wrote:...and it is plain who is boss...
:?:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Yeah, what do you mean, it is plain who is boss?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Insinuator wrote:Yeah, what do you mean, it is plain who is boss?
I mean the humans know that they are working with the elves, they are aiding them. They are not in a fight for power with the elves. The same wouldn't be true with barbarians and dwarves, IMHO. They would be fighting to get the dwarvish lord/barbarian chief in power.
The World of Orbivm
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

So, who is boss; the human leader, or the elvish leader? And if humans and elves can exist together in harmony, why can't barbarians and dwarves. Are we going to be stereotypically labeling them as vicious and power hungry just because they are uncouth?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Insinuator wrote:So, who is boss; the human leader, or the elvish leader? And if humans and elves can exist together in harmony, why can't barbarians and dwarves. Are we going to be stereotypically labeling them as vicious and power hungry just because they are uncouth?
the elvish leader... there is no human leader. That was my whole point. There are a few human units (well, maybe not any at this point- are mages still with the rebels?) aiding a mostly elvish force, and they have no 'leader' unit among them (no general, for example).

The dwarves currently have 2 first level units, but a leader unit, too. So i don't think it makes sense for the dwarves to be working for the barbarians, since they have a leader of their own, but i find it hard to believe that the barbarians wouldn't have a leader (especially since there is already a cool graphic for one. ;) )
The World of Orbivm
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

Dave wrote:I think it could be reasonable for them to be allied with cobretti's barbarians.

David
I see no problem with it as long as there is some kind of consensus about it. I don't want to create more conflicts with barbarians in the middle.
So, discuss it if people want, and whatever decision is taken, it's ok for me. :)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:
Insinuator wrote:So, who is boss; the human leader, or the elvish leader? And if humans and elves can exist together in harmony, why can't barbarians and dwarves. Are we going to be stereotypically labeling them as vicious and power hungry just because they are uncouth?
the elvish leader... there is no human leader. That was my whole point. There are a few human units (well, maybe not any at this point- are mages still with the rebels?) aiding a mostly elvish force, and they have no 'leader' unit among them (no general, for example).
Hmm...it really strikes me that the 'Rebels' aren't really 'Rebels' if they are composed mostly of Elves.

Elves don't have allegiance to the human crown of Wesnoth. They have their own rulers, and while they don't control borders firm enough to be called a 'nation', they are definitely a seperate people.

David
SteelP

Post by SteelP »

I've got some nice ideas for them (as baddies, sorry), but by now I don´t have the time to translate all my "story" about Wesnoth... If you like the idea (and no better ideas are posted before) perhaps at the end of the month I could tell you all about
Roel

Post by Roel »

If dwarves and barbarians both live in the mountains wouldn't it be more likely that they are not friends? As they are obviously very different and need the same space to live? If it where so, it would make sence for the dwarves to make some monster-pact (like the flemish people did to get the dutch out :D ) with people they would usually not like, just to get rid of the barbarians.