New: Merc/Outlaw Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

hurleybird

New: Merc/Outlaw Campaign

Post by hurleybird »

I just checked out Wesnoth's scenario editor, and the campaign scripting, and I was surprised how simple and straight forward everything seemed.

I have decided that I would like to attempt to make a campaign for wesnoth.

Of course I wanted an original idea, and after a while I thought about making a campaign where you controlled theives and bandits, as a sort of outlaw group.

I'm still thinking about the story line, but im thinking along the lines that you ambush a caraven, stumble upon some sort of very valuable item, and then pretty much everyone wants you to be dead because of it.

One Idea that I had was to have your character start so that hes not in control, and cannot recruit units, and sort of pretend that hes a recruit himself, assigned tasks by an NPC who is the leader of the outlaws. Later on in the campaign this NPC could somehow die, and you might take his place. Or even branch it off so that you can play different roles in his death.
Rothrorn

Post by Rothrorn »

Maybe you could have so that you challenge him for leadership....
Rothrorn the Wise
Viliam
Translator

Re: New: Merc/Outlaw Campaign

Post by Viliam »

hurleybird wrote:One Idea that I had was to have your character start so that hes not in control, and cannot recruit units, and sort of pretend that hes a recruit himself, assigned tasks by an NPC who is the leader of the outlaws.
Controlling only one unit would IMHO be not enough. But I like the idea of not being the leader.

How about controlling more than one unit? One would be the hero, others would be his friends... but they would all be a small part of mostly NPC army. Perhaps the leader could recruit hero first, then the others in following turns. Or like... in first turn recruit 6 units - hero, 2 friends, 3 NPC; second turn 6 more units - 3 friends, 3 NPC - and then only NPC units. So that player gets total 6 units to make a mission.

For example, the NPC army fights against the enemy army; player has to walk around the enemy, and get an artefact.
hurleybird

Post by hurleybird »

Controlling only one unit would IMHO be not enough. But I like the idea of not being the leader.
I was thinking that as well. So in the first Campaign, the leader NPC guy might say that. you (the hero) and three-four other units go do a goal, while he focuses on another goal.

Ok, how about this for a basic plot:

You and your people have struck a deal with one of the factions (maybe orcs... but do they hire mercs?). you capture a precious object in a caravan which is being transported to some sort of mage keep (are there any of these in the wesnoth universe?) After you get the item, your employers dont live up to their end of the bargain and try to kill your group instead. Your leader ends up dying one way or another (perhaps hes killed by the enemy, or you are able to kill him yourself durring the confusion) and you and a small group of men are the only ones able to escape from the slaughter. Then you become leader, and everyone wants you dead because of this item that you are carrying.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

hurleybird wrote:
I was thinking that as well. So in the first Campaign, the leader NPC guy might say that. you (the hero) and three-four other units go do a goal, while he focuses on another goal.

Ok, how about this for a basic plot:

You and your people have struck a deal with one of the factions (maybe orcs... but do they hire mercs?). you capture a precious object in a caravan which is being transported to some sort of mage keep (are there any of these in the wesnoth universe?) After you get the item, your employers dont live up to their end of the bargain and try to kill your group instead. Your leader ends up dying one way or another (perhaps hes killed by the enemy, or you are able to kill him yourself durring the confusion) and you and a small group of men are the only ones able to escape from the slaughter. Then you become leader, and everyone wants you dead because of this item that you are carrying.
Hmmm.... Make it a weapon so you can survive better.

A similar idea: You're an orcish assassin working for an orcish leader. Your goal in one scenario is to kill the enemy leader, probably by poisoning him, waiting, and going back to kill him. (If you don't, the enemy should be enough to kill your leader.) Another scenario's goal is to kill your leader, and become leader. Then you turn into a 'Warlord wannabe', a unit that looks like an assassin in warlord armor. It can level up into a real warlord.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.