Galactic Empires (Wesnoth in Space)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Re: Galactic Empires (Wesnoth in Space)

Post by Computer_Player »

NIce! I am always drawn back whenever a new update for this comes around. Thanks once again Bob and my fellow players.

Quickly tried a 1 v 1 vs the AI (a boon now that wesnoth is entering more lean times in terms of multiplayer base)

The concept of the hero is quite interesting and an inspired bolt out of the blue. Its a very quick way to incentivize invasions and make them very effective in the early game - an invasion with a hero vs one without is almost guaranteed to be a success. They could single handle mow through enemy lvl 0 units ( which are likely to be few as they a trade off vs economic growth) and I imagine games could be won just through hero maneuver. I do feel they are a bit too strong (especially with the AMLA options- which admitedly are very fun) and could use with a reduction in HP of 5-10 so lvl 0 units can still be effective and make it so they would need to rest somehow between planet conquests.

I love that the survival map has been updated as well - with new intro text and ability in the middle.

I also love the change to stasis - this makes it so just stasis locking entire sections of the map indefinitely is not possible now. The rng factor to balance it is clever. I want some more games to try this out (preferably with a human)

My only game so far was in 2p Ion Nova and I attach here some screenshots on the VP win condition not working properly at 18 and at 19. Also the game doesn't end even when I killed the enemy HQ (and flagship and hero). I didn't go so far as to blow up the enemy planet though. I do think for this map at least the VP is set too low. control of 2 of the enemy outer planets means 18 points = game ending very early (especially given Hero invasions). 21 points for VP seem reasonable. I would also add killing enemy Hero as a VP target given how powerful it is and to add a VP point with regards to planet side combat.

All in all very good work and look forward to more games.

Edit: I like the idea of scientists contributing to the planetary defences. Makes them more than just RP farmers.

I would however sound caution on balancing exclusively vs the AI which as we know is quite deficient as a player of regular wesnoth, not to mention GE. Should still be useful ofcourse, but more tests and observation is needed. Full scientist + lab is powerful ofcourse, but ideally you are being pressured to use resources to buy fighting ships intead or to get soldiers to recapture units ... depending on the situation.

BTW I saw that you are open for LORE texts on the units. Do you have any vision or lore that you have so writers can have a guideline on what you will accept?

Edit2: I forgot to add, planet labels are a very happy and welcome QOL feature. Glad that its here!
Attachments
2p - GE Ion Nova replay 20240209-151936.gz
(68.17 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
GE 2.png
GE 1.png
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

PSA: Some guy posted in reddit needing help on making custom maps for GE

https://www.reddit.com/r/wesnoth/commen ... res_addon/

I can't help them, but maybe somebody reading can :)
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Thanks for the feedback, very useful as always. I've identified the victory point bug and I'm tempted to change the following:
- Give a default gold or income bonus to any side controlled by the AI (in case players expect an even challenge)
- Reduce HP of heroes or nerf them in some other way
- Make the Ildari stasis generator work in defence as well
- Possibly award victory points for killing flagships/heroes (+1VP)
- Make planetary defences even cheaper?
Computer_Player wrote: February 9th, 2024, 7:53 amPSA: Some guy posted in reddit needing help on making custom maps for GE

https://www.reddit.com/r/wesnoth/commen ... res_addon/

I can't help them, but maybe somebody reading can :)
Tell them to check in here. CMG or Mabuse once made a 6p map which is still in the map folder. It has no scenario file though (the time-consuming part of making new maps is inputting the beaming co-ordinates for the different planets).
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: February 10th, 2024, 1:16 am (the time-consuming part of making new maps is inputting the beaming co-ordinates for the different planets).
Isn't it possible to calculate them automatically if coordinates of the centre of a planet are given? All planets I've seen in the era so far are just hexagonal
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

First time GE players read this

Post by Atreides »

Played my first 2 MP matches of GE and here's some important advice for first timers:

Like all 4X type games production is KING. Thing is production is actually in the HQ. Some of you might, like me, have assumed that upgrades to the HQ are not important to defending it at start. Alas, no, the production techs are there and not in the planets tech branch. (which is where I was looking for them) All 4 branches are important but start with the HQ ones.
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

That was me. I was the ally in the 2 v 2 vs Bob and mmmax XD

Epic battle on Gallotron (only the 2nd time I've ever played it with a full multiplayer set) and I needed to learn the ins and outs of the map.

Narration of the replay:
Spoiler:
Observation:
I think adding Heroes and FG to the VP would be nice and provide some more impact to them and help steer the game to a conclusion. However, I would like in general to make it so a VP equivalent of controlling 2 enemy forward planets + 1 Heroe/FG Kill would be the default For the VP Win condition to give games a natural conclusion based on trend. In this case, I feel the default VP is too early (just getting Gal2 = controlling 1 enemy planet was enough to give Bob's side shy of 1 VP from winning the match)

The 5 HP reduction for the heroes feels good though it needs more testing.

Virus maker FG for Steelhive felt very weak. I had thought that unit had repair+4, but apparently it just removes virus which is only usuable in a mirror. Perhaps a repair+4 on this unit (even at level 1) would make it more worth the cost and as a FG.

For Gallotron specifically - I would suggest reducing Pirate mp by 1 or place them towards 1 side each so as to reduce the likelhood of wormhole vision causing them to both attack a side. Instead they would attack those who naturally comes near. Alternatively, remove LOS from wormholes (but that would be less fun IMO :P)

Thanks for the game!
Attachments
4p - GE Temples Of Gallatron replay 20240210-153311.gz
(112.22 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Hmmm I think there may be a problem with the AI. It runs fine for a few turns and in the 2 games vs the AI I've started it simply stops after a while. I tried a game of Gallatron (same as the MP match I played but vs AI) and by turn 12 only the pirates still move. The other 3 AI (my ally and 2 enemy) just sit there and do nothing. Before that though they were doing awesome mind you. Enemy AI was invading my ally's planets!

In any case I'll include the save so you can see for yourselves. Only 1 mod used (cancel goto if attacked) because I was worried something was interfering and only that 1 is useful anyways. I'll try it w/o that now but I hope that's not it. Super simple mod, 1 event, can't really be it.

Voila:
Attachments
4p - GE Temples Of Gallatron-Autospeichern12.gz
autosave, definitely not working since a few turns
(165.75 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
4p - GE Temples Of Gallatron Runde 7.gz
turn 7, might still be working here
(166.16 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

1v1 me vs Calandrl on Ion Nova

I didn't see any option to change victory conditions, nor vp set amount, nor whether heroes are on or off. I haven't tested on other maps, but on this one I definitely didn't since I was trying to look out for it.

At anyrate, this is a nightmare match up of Terran vs Dwartha with Interceptor Flagship vs the Dwartha Steadfast flagship. I was able to invade the southern ice planet with my hero due to 1st turn advantage (I think p2 would have to play defensively and intercept that from the start to stop it). However, when retreating, I left the hero on the planet to die. :P

Meanwhile my ships are getting aggroed in a space battle by the superior Dwartha ships ... it was only luck and some maneuvering that allowed me to trade the 1 FG and 2 Terran scouts vs 1 FG and 1 Dwartha scout / leaving me with 1 scout near to level but at 4 hp.

A moot point since I am unable to defend invasions from the ascendant ground forces in the south.. not sure if I could have mounted a defence even should I went war footing planetside.

The VP was set at 21 however, and even with 2 planets they are not able to win at 19. So I gave over another small planet to test out the VP conditions, which put him on 21 and gave him the win. I think 21 is ok especially once Heroes / FG are given 1 VP (this would have given them a win as soon as they conquered their 2nd planet).

Game ended on turn 8ish - Fastest GE game a experienced haha.
Attachments
2p - GE Ion Nova replay 20240211-192135.gz
(65.86 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Computer_Player wrote: February 10th, 2024, 11:26 pmEpic battle on Gallotron (only the 2nd time I've ever played it with a full multiplayer set) and I needed to learn the ins and outs of the map.
Thanks for posting the replay, it was a fun game (I never realised you could see players' secret chatlog in a replay - very interesting!). However, I feel that it should have ended when we gained control of both Gallatron giants (of course, you would have played differently had the VP limit been set to 24). In general I would like to keep the default VP targets on the lower side to encourage quicker games.

- I’m happy to give the Steelhive Corruptor a bonus ability of +4 Repair
- Awarding 1VP for killing Hero/Flagship is a good idea
- I’ll also try moving the Gallatron pirates
Atreides wrote: February 11th, 2024, 1:13 am Hmmm I think there may be a problem with the AI. It runs fine for a few turns and in the 2 games vs the AI I've started it simply stops after a while...
Only 1 mod used (cancel goto if attacked).
I loaded your games and they both seemed fine to me, the AI continued as normal. Would you mind uninstalling that mod and reloading the save to see what happens? It could be that the GEAI relies on goto code.
Atreides wrote: February 10th, 2024, 7:10 pmLike all 4X type games production is KING. Thing is production is actually in the HQ… All 4 branches are important but start with the HQ ones.
Do you think this is a balance problem? Should there be more economic upgrades in the planet tech, for instance? (You get Academy and Trade Hub, but there is nothing related to income in tier #1). On a related note, I’m tempted to make all higher level ships a bit cheaper to make ship tech a more viable rush strategy. What do you think?
Computer_Player wrote: February 11th, 2024, 11:43 am I didn't see any option to change victory conditions, nor vp set amount, nor whether heroes are on or off. I haven't tested on other maps, but on this one I definitely didn't since I was trying to look out for it.
Here's a screenshot showing where the custom options are located.
The options can be changed before you set up the game...
The options can be changed before you set up the game...
My current projects:
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Computer_Player wrote: February 9th, 2024, 7:26 amBTW I saw that you are open for LORE texts on the units. Do you have any vision or lore that you have so writers can have a guideline on what you will accept?
Yes, here is an outline of the concepts I’ve used to develop the factions. Some of the Vendeeni troops already have unit descriptions which I’ll post here for reference, but I’d be happy to accept submissions for more LORE.

Vendeeni texts
Spoiler:
Terran
Attributes: Inquisitive, resourceful, collaborative
Origin: Descendants of planet Earth
Government: Bureaucratic Council
Focus: Exploration, training, diplomacy
- Prepared: units often have two attacks with different ranges
- Cautious: lots of healing/repair (plus Probes)
- Adaptable: lower XP requirements (plus Institute)

Vendeeni
Attributes: Insectoid, populous, ritualistic
Origin: Evolved from crossbreeding insect colonies?
Government: Matriarchal Hive / Caste System
Focus: Reproducing, combat prowess, serving the hive queen
- Brute Strength: high HP, strong attacks, focus on melee
- Aggressive: prefer invasions (Genepod & Carrier)
- Instinctive: vulnerable to psionic damage

Dwartha
Attributes: Proud, industrious, bearded
Origin: A planet with unusually strong gravity
Government: Monarchy
Focus: Mining, recycling, salvaging
- Functional: poor movement and bulky ships
- Tough: good HP and resistances
- Geology: lots of antimatter attacks (plus Terraformer & Driller)

Iildari
Attributes: Evasive, isolationist, experimental
Origin: Robot army built by dying breed of inventors
Government: Confederation
Focus: Research, technology, travel
- Advanced: lots of fancy gadgets (Jammer, Flightlab, Conceal, Stasis)
- Fragile: low HP, vulnerable to electric damage
- Fast: ships have great movement (plus Teleporter)

Steelhive
Attributes: Self-replicating, relentless, unthinking
Origin: Ancient superweapon gone rogue?
Government: AI
Focus: Expansion, consumption, assimilation
- Expendable: cheap ships, low HP (plus no upkeep for Drones)
- Surveillance: good vision (Analyser, Sensors, Scanner, Veil)
- Electronic: vulnerable to electric damage (plus Recharge & Virus)
My current projects:
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: February 11th, 2024, 3:02 pm
Computer_Player wrote: February 10th, 2024, 11:26 pmEpic battle on Gallotron (only the 2nd time I've ever played it with a full multiplayer set) and I needed to learn the ins and outs of the map.
Thanks for posting the replay, it was a fun game (I never realised you could see players' secret chatlog in a replay - very interesting!). However, I feel that it should have ended when we gained control of both Gallatron giants (of course, you would have
Oh no, all our vile calumnies CP and I were spreading about you two are now exposed! ; )

I also felt that 24 VP would have been fair. When you guys took full control of both Gal's I felt we had lost. OTOH our surprise attack in the south would not have been possible. No idea if that would have worked since we had to call it.
Atreides wrote: February 11th, 2024, 1:13 am Hmmm I think there may be a problem with the AI. It runs fine for a few turns and in the 2 games vs the AI I've started it simply stops after a while...
Only 1 mod used (cancel goto if attacked).
I loaded your games and they both seemed fine to me, the AI continued as normal. Would you mind uninstalling that mod and reloading the save to see what happens? It could be that the GEAI relies on goto code.
I have started a couple without any mods and so far so good. Hard to believe that it was one of the mods. I also had unit stats (brand new mod) on as well. Guess I should also try each singly. But tentatively it seems that it might be one or both mods. BTW uninstalling wouldn't change it since the mod is saved in the file. You can edit them out or in actually.
Atreides wrote: February 10th, 2024, 7:10 pmLike all 4X type games production is KING. Thing is production is actually in the HQ… All 4 branches are important but start with the HQ ones.
Do you think this is a balance problem? Should there be more economic upgrades in the planet tech, for instance? (You get Academy and Trade Hub, but there is nothing related to income in tier #1). On a related note, I’m tempted to make all higher level ships a bit cheaper to make ship tech a more viable rush strategy. What do you think?
No no nothing at all with the balance. I was just alerting others who might think like me that HQ upgrades weren't that important based on their name. For me "HQ" makes me think of pure military aspects since I'm an old wargamer. Planet was where I expected production aspects to be located!

=====================
Instead of a new post I'll append a new topic that has occurred to me while practicing vs AI.
Transporter Beam killing of units at the vertice hexes of a planet.
It feels... cheesy. I know that something has to happen to prevent people from just blocking a planet but as it is now it is a horrid compromise between using valuable terrain or avoiding it to save a worker.
Hmm that gives me an idea. Probably dumb but how about planets have waste hexes in the 6 corners? I guess that would need redrawing every map?
The other idea I had earlier was to make it a 50/50 gamble when beaming down. That'd be harsh on the attackers though to risk losing a soldier vs a "mere" worker.
Having them shift to a free space also occurred but I'm sure that'll lead to blocked planets full to the brim... although I noticed there is a pop limit. I guess it can be exceeded by beaming in more units?
Hmmm another crazy idea... HP cancelling? Beamer and victim are compared on HP and greater survives minus the losers HP's. So a 19 HP soldier beams onto a 12 HP worker means the soldier lands with 7 HP left. The plus to this is that at least there is a "fair" fight instead of a magic instakill (which is what feels so cheesy).

Anyways that's a start to a discussion I hope.

P.S.
I just tried the survival. : (
Was exterminated on easy. Utterly obliterated.
I wonder, if you play solo does it not reduce the enemy by 2/3? I set P2/3 to nobody not computer. If it is intended to be computer that would have been good to know beforehand. I'll give it another shot like that.

P.P.S.
Found a bug in easy survival
it unlocks ships for sides 4,2,3 not 1,2,3

P.P.P.S.
AI stops working even without any mods active.
I think I found what it might be though. It seems if you save and then load the game again later the AI dies.

CONFIRMED! Bug found. Might be a Wesnoth bug. The "Keep saved ai" does NOT work with the GE AI. If you load the file from the MP screen you can change all computer players from keep saved ai to GE AI and it works properly. If you load from the main screen using CONTROL-O it will bypass the screen where you can see the players and change the AI's so you have to do it the hard way (from the MP screen). That's the workaround.

P.P.P.P.S.
Little glitch in anim when dust giant homeworld in survival defends.
20240212 13:12:06 error display: could not open image '200'
Oh and yeah survival needs 3 players to work. With 2 AI & 1 human (sort of) it is quite tough so truly for easy it needs 3 humans. But I won w/o cheating. Oh yeah terran ships seem to suck. Steelhive also. Those brown boxy ships are too good.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Just uploaded another update. Galactic Empires 5.7 includes lots of little bug fixes, balancing tweaks and some new animations. Here's the list of what's changed since the big 5.0 update...
Spoiler:
Atreides wrote: February 11th, 2024, 7:57 pmCONFIRMED! Bug found. Might be a Wesnoth bug. The "Keep saved ai" does NOT work with the GE AI. If you load the file from the MP screen you can change all computer players from keep saved ai to GE AI and it works properly. If you load from the main screen using CONTROL-O it will bypass the screen where you can see the players and change the AI's so you have to do it the hard way (from the MP screen). That's the workaround.
Thanks for looking into this. I'm guessing the era (and the GEAI) isn't active prior to loading the save game through the main screen. Maybe mattsc might be able to help? In any case, it always makes sense to load multiplayer games through the MP set-up screen.
My current projects:
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Neat! That's a lot more updates than I expected - just as I finished a game with Calandryl on Alpha 1v1 Dwartha vs Iildari. I suppose this means that its my last on the 5.6 version.

Always intense fighting Dwartha as an Iildari - you want to get the 1st ship upgrade ASAP to stand a chance against their starting ship. Fortunately, their starting leader is on the slow side which allowed for some maneuvering.

A big turn was Turn 14-16 in which most of the traps I prepared both space-side and planet-side were sprung which started the decisive slide towards the end - I was also able to sneak through a cloaked transport containing my main invasion force which catapulted my VP to 26, enough to score the win once I ended turn and my enemy started theirs. Just on time too as I was about to lose a planet to their invasion.

I used Jammer as a tech here, though I am unsure how helpful it was. Might have to load a replay to see how it works.

Thanks for the game and updates!
Attachments
2p - GE Alpha Quadrant replay 20240214-003306.gz
(86.59 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: February 13th, 2024, 3:54 pm Thanks for looking into this. I'm guessing the era (and the GEAI) isn't active prior to loading the save game through the main screen. Maybe mattsc might be able to help? In any case, it always makes sense to load multiplayer games through the MP set-up screen.
I've inquired into whether it makes any difference to load a MP game from the main screen load button, using the CONTROL-O or through the MP screen load button and it appears that it does not matter. There is a small difference from the players POV though (convenience aside) to loading via CONTROL-O/main screen LOAD in that when you are playing a new scenario it does not spoil the fog of war by displaying all your enemy sides, their leaders and so on. For those two reasons I always use CONTROL-O to load MP saved games.

But it's not too big a deal to remember to load GE games from the MP screen instead and switch the AI every time. The maps are not that large and could be easily played in one sitting (likely why so few people have noticed this - although I read some old posts and apparently it was known a year ago and mattsc's last post referred to it) if one was so inclined. Myself I usually save when I need to run off and watch a TV show (what's TV I hear you cry? It's something old fogies like me watch) or more importantly when I get a bad combat result and the red mist descends on me and I go mad with rage and need to berserkly attack all the enemy ships suicidally... (so I've trained myself to save before that happens 8 -) )

Addendum: I just found out that in fact you don't need to switch the AI from Keep to GE everytime you load. All you need is to load it from MP screen. Keep AI is NOT bugged. It is as Bob states the fact that if you don't go into the MP scope first the GEAI doesn't get loaded. Makes me wonder if there are any other addons that might be affected similarly by being loaded from the main screen. Funny, whenever I ask if it is OK to load MP from main screen I hear, sure sure, it's fine. : ) Most of the time I suppose it is. Sigh.

Balance notes:
a) I'm still exploring the new game (which GE kind of is) but I wonder if it might be good to have HQ's lose some of their upgrades when they change hands? That is standard in all 4X games. Civ cities lose half pop. and many buildings. Just wondering, perhaps it works best as is.
b) Should planets have ZOC's? Seems realistic to slow a ship in the gravity field. Also it would make the cheesy tactic of using a transport ship to beam down troops up and down on various sides of an enemy planet less viable.

P.S. Found another teeny bug. founder-moving.png does not exist so the move anim likely fails. Was AI side so I didn't notice but it is in the log.

Epsilon Quadrant makes for a cracker of a game, replay below. BTW did have a bunch of lua errors when I tried to continue a 5.6 game with 5.7 so I started this one. I'd set the last one to elimination which is pretty dull, Domination is the way to go!
BTW the newsflash when you sink a hero is kewl. I guess Terran ships aren't so bad after all. And their groundpounders are pretty nifty keen. AI steelhivers too gave the AI Dwarfs a good fight so same for them. (Some fun loving artist ought to make bearded versions of the ships...)
Attachments
4p - GE Epsilon Quadrant Aufzeichnung 20240213-214301.gz
(149.66 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Some interesting games with Calandryl Particularly this match set in Beta Quadrant with unconventional planet invasion choices for both players near the start - with a surprise finish!

Game 2 is a similar game with Mmmax, this time Dwartha vs Steelhive with me on player 2. This one features another interaction.
Attachments
2p - GE Beta Quadrant replay 20240218-135457.gz
(70.85 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
2p - GE Beta Quadrant replay 20240217-165710.gz
(71.04 KiB) Downloaded 12 times