thespaceinvader sprites: current, animals

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Darker_Dreams

Re: thespaceinvader sprites: current, animals

Post by Darker_Dreams »

it took me a second to realize the bull hadn't suddenly grown a tumor on its head...you might want to look at that back horn.

Great work on these, btw, it looks like ol'mc-spaceinvader's getting himself a farm...
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

I like them so much! :D
I can't wait to see these in the game. :)
They looks so angry! Like the cow would have been bitten in the things the small cows eat. :lol:
(yes, my english isn't really good, but I'm too lazy to use translating thingys. :lol:)
Check out my sprites!
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Give more abdomen to the cow, it's a ruminant mammal with lots of intestines and four stomachs. Not a cheetah.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Mefisto wrote:Give more abdomen to the cow, it's a ruminant mammal with lots of intestines and four stomachs. Not a cheetah.
Right, well if you look at the reference he is using for his bovines...
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Bull is all right. It's a cow which looks too slim to me.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I think that comes from the line of the belly going up to accommodate the udder instead of straight back with the udder under that.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Indeed. i might bring it down a little further, though. I'll be animating this weekend, probably.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

What do you have in mind for attacks to go with the animations? Hoof stomp? Bite? Gore?
JW

Post by JW »

Turuk wrote:What do you have in mind for attacks to go with the animations? Hoof stomp? Bite? Gore?
If we're talking about the pigs with many horns, I imagine they'd use them for goring.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

JW wrote:If we're talking about the pigs with many horns, I imagine they'd use them for goring.
Yeah, I talked with TSI on IRC about the attacks, and they will have gore with charge most likely, though a small initial damage. I meant the cows, and was only half-serious, as I was trying to think of a cow attacking someone effectively.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

The pigs have, respectively, the tusklet: 4-3 blade bite attack, the tusker: 6-3 blade bite attack, 10-2 charge pierce tusks attack. The Gorer, 8-3 blade bite attack, 13-2 charge pierce tusks attack.

The cows will be level 1, so i'd pitch them at say... 5-3 charge pierce.

JW: the pigs are completely animated and ready for mainline - they're only not committed because of the string freeze. they're up on the UMC Dev SVN, and i'll be putting them on the campaign server along with the cows when i've efinished the latter.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

thespaceinvader wrote:The cows will be level 1, so i'd pitch them at say... 5-3 charge pierce.
My only thought on this would be the fact that the horns may not come forward far enough to effectively pierce...

5-3 charge impact? Headbutt. :P
JW

Post by JW »

thespaceinvader wrote:JW: the pigs are completely animated and ready for mainline - they're only not committed because of the string freeze. they're up on the UMC Dev SVN, and i'll be putting them on the campaign server along with the cows when i've efinished the latter.
Sry, haven't followed the thread all the way.

I mentioned to Turuk on irc that the only way I can imagine a cow attacking is by kicking its hind legs. ....unfortunately I doubt this would work for animations, and it wouldn't be believable to see a cow run up, turn around, kick, then turn back around. So yeah, headbutting is probably the way to go for them.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Meh, they'll do. It's what I'd expect from a cow, particularly a bull.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Hey, quick comments about cows and attacks...

first we are talking of wild cow like animals here, not the type we have in europ that have been selected to be as fat as possible for centuries, so the african gnu or zebu (which are quite muscular and fit) is the way to go.

TSI, don't listent to all the ones that tell you taht your cow is not fat enough...

about the attacks, cows can kick with their hind leg, but their natural attack is a charge (think of corridas)

when cows are in a pack, they defend themselves by forming an circle facing outside with the calf in the center... so charge is the way to go, probably with impact since the horns are pretty small
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim