Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
bera
Art Contributor

Re: goblin portraits

Post by bera »

Valkier: Noted, and you're right, form needs to be mapped to screen :) As you can see I'm learning shading still.

Bad_Dog: For the rouser, I had tried to have his lower lips elevated over his upper lips to make him appear thoughtful.. Now when I look at it again though, I agree with you, he looks like a goblin with plastic surgery over his chin - I guess, I'll go back to it.

Jacques: Thanks, you're so kind :) And no, I haven't forgotten. Actually one reason I started another goblin was for your campaign, the said greedy rouser. He turned to be an impaler, and hmm, I should be done with these goblins, then we'll talk.

So, I played with it a bit keeping the comments in mind, shading, changing the hue of the gloves and etc. It may be that right arm needs some work on anatomical grounds, but besides that, I'm kinda happy of the outcome :) That's, kitty, yes I'm afraid I don't see what's wrong with hands, all I can say is they're not holding the spear in the most comfortable way maybe, but they are holding it.. Maybe I'll see your point later or I need longer times by the mirror, can't say :)

Oh and, this is not exactly Mongolian armour, because if you look closer there're some tattered remains of a chain shirt he's wearing :) Joke aside, I just wished to have some reference and I used some of it for the protective hardened leather bits. Actually it hurts me to see goblins and all that chaotic (evil?) guys depicted with eastern dressings + weapons while the good guys end up in their knightly suits or western european garments - this is so for many fantasy settings and I wish it could be reversed for a change :D
Attachments
uoi10.png
uoi10.png (129.67 KiB) Viewed 9680 times
comics, comics
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

bera wrote:So, I played with it a bit keeping the comments in mind, shading, changing the hue of the gloves and etc. It may be that right arm needs some work on anatomical grounds, but besides that, I'm kinda happy of the outcome That's, kitty, yes I'm afraid I don't see what's wrong with hands, all I can say is they're not holding the spear in the most comfortable way maybe, but they are holding it.. Maybe I'll see your point later or I need longer times by the mirror, can't say
Kitty's point about the hand placement being strange is something you touched on yourself just now. The position of the right arm is physically impossible, as the direction of the upper arm and it's placement along with that of the forearm would make sense if the spear was braced in the crook of his elbow. However, his elbow goes over the spear, so his arm seems to be pointed forward, rise up to peak at the elbow, and then slant back down the length of the spear to grip it at the hand, which is not physically possible.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Turuk wrote:Kitty's point about the hand placement being strange is something you touched on yourself just now. The position of the right arm is physically impossible, as the direction of the upper arm and it's placement along with that of the forearm would make sense if the spear was braced in the crook of his elbow. However, his elbow goes over the spear, so his arm seems to be pointed forward, rise up to peak at the elbow, and then slant back down the length of the spear to grip it at the hand, which is not physically possible.
Yeah, you've actually created an Escherism.

Don't worry, though, even experienced artists like myself create those all the time (if you've watched kitty's work on the portraits, you'll have see people catching a number of those she's made by accident). The best solution for these is to have lots of friends looking at your work and helping spot them.

Drawing is hard. :|
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

bera wrote:Jacques: Thanks, you're so kind :) And no, I haven't forgotten. Actually one reason I started another goblin was for your campaign, the said greedy rouser. He turned to be an impaler, and hmm, I should be done with these goblins, then we'll talk.
Just kudos given where kudos are deserved. Excellent news, otherwise, and I'm of course perfectly content to wait for you to finish these first.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

So, I played with it a bit keeping the comments in mind, shading, changing the hue of the gloves and etc. It may be that right arm needs some work on anatomical grounds, but besides that, I'm kinda happy of the outcome :) That's, kitty, yes I'm afraid I don't see what's wrong with hands, all I can say is they're not holding the spear in the most comfortable way maybe, but they are holding it.. Maybe I'll see your point later or I need longer times by the mirror, can't say :)
Those evil arms... I did a quick paintover to explain the points that seem problematic to me. For the rear hand (his right one): he has to little of an upper arm, you need to bend it a bit more to be able to put the hand in such a position and if you see the thumb in such a position you'll also see part of the knuckles on the underside. For his left arm: It is simply too short, your other gobbos had generally rather short upper arms but very elongated forearms - that needs to stay consistent. And I am not able to flex my hand in the direction you drew it, I think it needs to bend exactly the other way, backwards.
file-1.png
file-1.png (133.89 KiB) Viewed 9564 times
And the face still doesn't look like the other gobbos, their faces have much more of a muzzle, while this guy has a very, very small jaw but distinct jawbones. And his eyes are way bigger and way more slanted.
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

Revised one of the impalers: reworked the arms, played with shading, and messed with his face a bit. I made him look somewhat old - I guess I did that just for aesthetic reasons. However, I'm not sure if the anatomy + face matches any of kitty's goblin riders, or maybe it's the way I shade, can't say... :|
Attachments
uoi13.png
uoi13.png (138.87 KiB) Viewed 9245 times
comics, comics
kitty

Post by kitty »

However, I'm not sure if the anatomy + face matches any of kitty's goblin riders, or maybe it's the way I shade, can't say... :|
Oh, I don't think it has anything to do with the way of shading but rather with the underlying structure. I attatch a quick paintover (your version to the right, my suggestion to the left):
I made the face less elongated, gave him a round-ish muzzle instead of the long chin, shortened and scaled down the nose and changed its shape a bit and accentuated the cheekbones and eyesockets.
Attachments
file.png
file.png (74.99 KiB) Viewed 9058 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

The arm still seems to be suffering from the same anatomical issue. The placement/shading of the elbow is rising to a higher point than it should be compared to the angle of the arm coming off the shoulder. Given the folds of the cloth on the arm and the lines, the elbow might actually sit a bit lower on the spear shaft then it does currently.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

I don't agree Turuk, but looking at it now I believe the problem now is his right forearm, it's simply too short - also the folds of his left upper arm needs a retouch; and of course the face needs to be reworked. Anyways, he's not going for mainline, so I'll play with it for Jacques' ARL campaign. For mainline we have (reminder: thanks to the spear the base image is 400x500).
Attachments
imp_trans.png
imp110small.png
imp110small.png (39.52 KiB) Viewed 8353 times
comics, comics
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

also for the rouser... :
Attachments
rouser109_trans.png
rouser109_trans.png (154.1 KiB) Viewed 8337 times
rouser109_small.png
rouser109_small.png (37.46 KiB) Viewed 8327 times
comics, comics
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Anyways, he's not going for mainline
But Kitty indicated that they were very nearly almost ready for mainline. It seems silly to give up on that goal when you are already so close.
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

But Kitty indicated that they were very nearly almost ready for mainline. It seems silly to give up on that goal when you are already so close.
My bad. With that I was referring the 6 post earlier one that was aimed for the impaler unit. For these two I posted, I see them as finished, though I should add, I'm not so very happy - especially considering how great the wolf riders turned out to be :oops: . But I rather spend my time working on new portraits instead of engineering these towards that end. That said I will just leave them as they are, to the judgement of the community :)
comics, comics
kitty

Post by kitty »

Jep. These are both fine to go in. Please commit Rouser and Impaler.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Committed.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

Retake on a goblin rouser with the flats, for the Legend of Wesmere campaign, to be used after the big battle. I may have something funny going on there with the horn, but rest seems ok to me, any CC?
Attachments
LRWrouser.png
LRWrouser.png (93.89 KiB) Viewed 7352 times
comics, comics