1 question

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nuti-naguti

1 question

Post by nuti-naguti »

Why "Elvish fighter" called - "Elvish fighter". May be better use simple word - "fighter", without race prefix?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: 1 question

Post by Velensk »

Because there are more than one type of figher. There are drake fighters, dwarven fighters, ect. The suffix also ensures that all units of the same race appear near each other when listed alphabeticaly.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
nuti-naguti

Post by nuti-naguti »

Yes, but dwarven, drake, merman fighters also can called as «fighter». Difference is on the picture of unit. Why not?
teddy
Translator

Post by teddy »

Velensk wrote: The suffix also ensures that all units of the same race appear near each other when listed alphabeticaly.
No. There are such units as Sky Drake, Hurricane Drake and some other Drake units - they have race name as the second word, not first. And humans - they have no race name at all (Spearman, Mage and Iron Mauler not Human Spearman, Human Mage or Human Iron Mauler). If I were, for example, Elf, I would say it is a kind of racism!
Gauteamus
Translator

Post by Gauteamus »

In the norwegian translation (1.6.x) we have made a unit-tree with unique names - no doppelgangers such as "XY fighter" or "YZ assassin" - we also have kicked the racial distinctions out of the unit-names.
teddy
Translator

Post by teddy »

Gauteamus wrote:In the norwegian translation (1.6.x) we have made a unit-tree with unique names - no doppelgangers such as "XY fighter" or "YZ assassin" - we also have kicked the racial distinctions out of the unit-names.
In the Russian translation we did the similar thing. The only difference that we didn't made unique names for all units, because some units (such as archers) from different races naturally has the same name. I think it shouldn't confuse players - for example, at the game screen race of unit is placed just under his or her type.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Inertia, basically. I cut out the racial prefixes for all IE units and it looks much cleaner.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm