The Isle of Alduin, a short story by Hushpuppy, in parts

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hushpuppy

The Isle of Alduin, a short story by Hushpuppy, in parts

Post by Hushpuppy »

Here is another story of Wesnoth. My intention as a writer and a fan is to write a short story about each battle of HTTT, to give the game "atmosphere". As I think of the campaign, I wonder: What kind of person is each one? Konrad? Delfador? Asheviere? What motivates them? How would they act in a certain situation?

Here, I use the Isle of Alduin as the backdrop in which to meet Asheviere. The cool part of writing, I think, is to have a certain idea about how something will go, and to have the character's personality dictate otherwise. This story did not turn out exactly as I'd planned. That's why it is fun.

This story is praiseware (my wife tells me I have a big ego, and she's right). If you like it, let me know. As long as I get some attention I'll keep uploading. Constructive criticism accepted as well, but remember you need to include something like "...all that said, I still really like it (or I'm just curious) so send more!" :P Thanks.

The story is Copyright me, Michael Anthony Schwager (aka Hushpuppy), and released under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License License. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by- ... %20License . Other components of the story are under copyright of their respective owners (the characters Konrad, Delfador, and Asheviere, for example). I understand that those components are under the GNU General Public License.

Read it here :arrow:
httt isle of alduin part1.txt
Part 1. If you like it, I'll send part 2. If you like that, I'll write part 3, then I'll send it!
(7.41 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
Don't forget to read "Escape from Aethenwood, a Short Story by Hushpuppy" too (elsewhere in this forum). ...I still have some corrections to make on that one, apologize for the clumsiness of that story.

In the meantime, enjoy!

P.S. I write in "vi" so if the line spacing vexes you, you have my apologies. It's easy enough to adjust the TextEdit window on my Mac... if you have a PC and are having trouble, let me know.
AI
Developer

Re: The Isle of Alduin, a short story by Hushpuppy, in parts

Post by AI »

The speech pattern you use for the orcs is quite similar to the dwarvish one from mainline. Also, the queen seems to imply that Konrad is an elf.
Hushpuppy

Post by Hushpuppy »

Thanks for the reply.

Well I guess silence is golden, and I can take the hint. :roll: That said, in what way might you ("you" meaning "anyone") suggest I attempt to contribute to the world of Wesnoth?

If my writing sucks, I'll accept a "Don't quit your day job, 'Puppy!" :oops: Otherwise, maybe I just bit off more than I should attempt to chew, and I should work on something a little less ambitious?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

*Shrug* honestly, I doubt many people read it. The zip format is a barrier to doing something which would take a decent amount of time anyway. If you want people to read and comment, you're better off posting plain text in the forum (maybe inside spoiler tags, for ease of scrolling...)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Yeah. It's not that you suck, it's just that no one cares enough to download it (it happens to everyone, not just you). What thespaceinvader said is right: post it directly on the forums and more people will read it, or at least skim it. Operate under the assumption that most people are too lazy/apathetic/busy and make it easy for them.

Its kind of similar to what some people do with maps: if you have the greatest map in the world available for download, but you don't have a screenshot to show people that it's worth downloading, they'll probably never check.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Agreed. I would most likely have read it by now if it was just posted on the forum.

Does that make me lazy? Possibly. :|
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf