Ideas for some ways to make the wesnoth world more real

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zigg

Ideas for some ways to make the wesnoth world more real

Post by Zigg »

To make Irdya seem more real and less empty, maybe there should be an 'writing and art' section with all kinds of things. I'll list a few below as an example.

Mage/Noble/Merchant Diaries
Detailed Historic Records (e.g. Characters born, Battles, Raids, Small Famines, Small Droughts, Settlements built etc.)
Instructions (Fencing, Fishing, Archery, Cooking, Riding, maybe written by a traveling group of writers with the help of masters of the art)
Art
Poems
Last edited by Zigg on November 8th, 2009, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGreatRings

Re: Ideas for some ways to make the wesnoth world more real

Post by TheGreatRings »

That's more or less what this forum is, I think. A writing forum. I'm sure no one would object if you wanted to post some mage's diary here.

Getting it accepted as a part of mainline continuity though... its easy to write fanfiction, but very hard to write canon contributions.

Though I've been thinking for a while about writing a "book" on the history of Wesnoth, written from the point of view of someone living in that world, with speculation on the societies, politics, tactics, etc. Would that be the kind of thing you're talking about? Maybe I'll get around to actually writing it now that you've reminded me.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

Sort of like that, but in lots of different forms from lots of different writers.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Zigg wrote:Sort of like that, but in lots of different forms from lots of different writers.
Oh yes, anyone who has some writing to contribute to Wesnoth should absolutely go ahead and do so.

There's some examples in this forum of this sort of thing I think, but not as many as their should be.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

If this is what you're talking about, please no. The guide doesn't even mention mudcrawlers, gryphons, and wolves. It doesn't tell you how to prepare for an orcish raid or a run-in with outlaws. It doesn't even reference the hazards of Undead deep in the woods that every woodsman has to deal with! (After all, when hunting a creature you need to make sure a bored -- or environmentalist -- necromancer isn't nearby to make its corpse a demonic hellspawn aiming for revenge.) It just talks about hunting in a way that isn't unique to Wesnoth's game world at all. It's not even full of funny Wesnoth in-jokes. Even fan fiction generally references the work it's based on. The only thing you did was use the Welsh-style names.

In my opinion, that thread, this, and any other not-that-related-to-Wesnoth fiction should be in the Off Topic forum.

Just because someone's amateur work claims to take place in the world of Wesnoth, doesn't mean that it should go in this forum, or that a forum should exist to store those works. There needs to be some kind of line drawn.
Last edited by Aethaeryn on November 8th, 2009, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

Well that's C&C, and I'm just adding it.