Re: Swamplings - v1.1.7 - for 1.8 and 1.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Hunter

Re: Swamplings - v0.5 - 11 of 16 scenarios

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

I noticed a bug in your Giant Rat and Bosavi units: for every image, you inserted

Code: Select all

image="data/campaigns/Descent_Into_Darkness/images/units/giant-rat-die-(what else).png"
Not everyone here has Descent into Darkness installed: I'm talking about Linux users that install Wesnoth from repositories, like Debian and Ubuntu users, and can choose which mainline campaigns install. So, those users won't see the unit images. How to fix this: copy the rat images from DiD in your campaign folder, and modify your .cfg files to point to them. :)
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
boru

Post by boru »

Thanks, Elvish_Hunter, I was not aware of that. Anyone who doesn't have DiD is missing out on a great one.

I'll fix this in the next update.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

I finished playing Swampling. Apart the Giant Rat bug, I also found these other bugs:
  • Ronry in Healer and Slayer doesn't have the silver crown
  • The two loyal bats and the loyal goblin in Exodus are missing the bronze ring
  • In At Death's Door, on Easy, I didn't get any Mosquito. Here there is my replay. This happens because the area where Clammie finds the healing fruits and the Mosquito is a little too small, due also to his increased swamp movement - but, apart from this, it works fine.
    's_Door_replay2.gz
    (15.45 KiB) Downloaded 449 times
  • From It Takes A Swampling onwards, Clammie has a silver crown that, as leader, he should't have.
  • When meeting again Eeep, in Rogues' Reward, Clammie doesn't recover his recall list - except for the rat Greta. Is this intentional?
  • In Riding the Wolf, stderr.txt gives me this error:

20100605 19:34:54 error engine: could not de-serialize unit: 'game_error: invalid side(4) found in unit definition'
    This is due to macro

{MODIFY_UNIT (id=Misris) side 4}
  • In Clammie the Healer, Eeep is a Wolf Rider, but still has all the Goblin features (requires 180 XP to advance, has 5 MP, dim trait, Impaler Goblin spear attacks and 26 HP).
  • Again, in Clammie the Healer, the two loyal bats are missing the bronze ring.
  • Not a bug - but I'm too curious to see what the Unknown potion will do... :mrgreen: And thanks for this campaign! 8)
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
boru

Post by boru »

Elvish_Hunter, thanks for these :)

I am going to be away for the next week, so I'm not entirely sure when the next update of Swamplings will be available, but I will address all of your points as soon as possible. I was relying on the {MODIFY_UNIT } macro when I should have been using {ADVANCE_UNIT} to transform units, which is why Eeep is not fully a wolf rider currently, and I think it explains Clammie's silver crown. The trouble with the recall list is definitely not intentional, so I'll have to look into that. You should be getting a mosquito, so that is definitely a bug.

I'm not sure I want to give Ronry a silver crown because
Spoiler:
Thanks for taking the time to give a bug report :)

====================================

UPDATE:

Elvish_Hunter wrote:I finished playing Swampling. Apart the Giant Rat bug, I also found these other bugs:
All Giant Rat art is now copied in the Swamplings folder, so anyone who doesn't have DiD on their hard drive will still see Stern's great animation of the Giant Rat.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:
  • Ronry in Healer and Slayer doesn't have the silver crown
See above for the reason why he doesn't get the hero crown.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:[*]The two loyal bats and the loyal goblin in Exodus are missing the bronze ring
Fixed.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:[*]In At Death's Door, on Easy, I didn't get any Mosquito. Here there is my replay. This happens because the area where Clammie finds the healing fruits and the Mosquito is a little too small, due also to his increased swamp movement - but, apart from this, it works fine.
Fixed.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:[*]From It Takes A Swampling onwards, Clammie has a silver crown that, as leader, he should't have.
Fixed. (Crown enthusiasts, rejoice!)
Elvish_Hunter wrote:[*]When meeting again Eeep, in Rogues' Reward, Clammie doesn't recover his recall list - except for the rat Greta. Is this intentional?
No, it was a bug. It was happening in Thunderstruck too. Fixed, and fixed again.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:[*]In Riding the Wolf, stderr.txt gives me this error:

20100605 19:34:54 error engine: could not de-serialize unit: 'game_error: invalid side(4) found in unit definition'
This is due to macro

{MODIFY_UNIT (id=Misris) side 4}
I wanted to switch her to side 4 so she could be a team leader in Thunderstruck. It took a few more steps than I thought. Fixed.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:[*]In Clammie the Healer, Eeep is a Wolf Rider, but still has all the Goblin features (requires 180 XP to advance, has 5 MP, dim trait, Impaler Goblin spear attacks and 26 HP).
Fixed. Except for the dim part. What can I say, Eeep is a pretty dim guy. Also fixed a pretty bad bug with experience points, so now the XP earned while they are non-wolf riders will carry over when they become wolf riders.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:[*]Again, in Clammie the Healer, the two loyal bats are missing the bronze ring.
Fixed.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:[*]Not a bug - but I'm too curious to see what the Unknown potion will do... :mrgreen: And thanks for this campaign! 8) [/list]
Not sure what that potion will do .. I suppose I'll come up with something good. Thanks again for your comments.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

boru wrote:Thanks again for your comments.
Thanks to you for listening my comments. In another thread you wrote, about the Thundergobo unit
boru wrote:No custom art (yet), I'm just using the standard goblin spearman sprite for now.
I'm not an artist, the most that I can do are recolouring and frankensteining, and eventually throwing the occasional pixel in. What I did is, basically, a frankenstein of the Spearman Goblin, removing his weapon, and replacing it with the Dwarvish Thunderer's thunderstick. I'm attaching the result, hoping that this will be useful, at least until you can find a real artist. :wink:
thundergobo.png
thundergobo.png (1.54 KiB) Viewed 5950 times
thundergobo.zip
All the attack frames.
(9.8 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
About having more Goblin units, I checked the Ageless Era to find what's available, and here there is a list of what units I found:
- Taken from Auxiliary Era: Demolitionist, Grenadier, Spearmaster
- Taken from Era of Magic: Archer, Assassins, Hunter, Kamikaze, Rouser (alternative), Sniper, Spearman (alternative), Warbanner, Warrior, Roc Rider, Roc Master.
Some of these units are Level 2, so for example you can make Clammie able to advance to Goblin Warbanner or Goblin Spearmaster. Just an idea :)
boru

Post by boru »

Wow! You even did a northeast attack frame! And NE and N facing ... thanks! :D You just earned your name in the credits.

There is going to be some kind of upgrade path for Clammie ... I was originally going to make him a wolfrider too, but since Eeep's a wolfrider and Misris is too, that's really too much of a good thing. Some brainstorming is necessary.

I'll take a look at the units in the eras you mentioned and see if anything seems right. I've seen enough Kurosawa movies to understand the concept of the warbanner, but in spite of that, the concept of some guy walking around with a big sign always reminds me of someone like this. What can I say? I grew up in a big city in a time when there was a lot more advertising than warfare. I love most of the samurai stuff and think it's really cool, but the warbanner doesn't do it for me.

By the way, I finished work on scenario 12 last night. Expect an update later today.

JuCFruit

Post by JuCFruit »

I really like your campaign, but I was wondering how and when do you get the rat? I have made it to the level with the thundergobos, but I still haven't got the rat. Please help, if you don't mind.
If you're going downhill, you might as well ride.
boru

Post by boru »

@ JuCFruit:

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it!

The rat is hidden in a village in the sewer in scenario 5 (It Takes A Swampling). If you don't go into the village, you don't get the rat.

Sorry, but it is a very minor character, so I wouldn't replay just for that. Wait until I get around to giving Clammie an upgrade path, then you can play it again if you like.

Come to think of it, you also miss out on a battle, which must make your trip thru the sewer rather boring. Maybe I'll find a way to trigger the battle, even if you don't get Greta.

JuCFruit

Re: Swamplings - v0.6 - 12 of 16 scenarios

Post by JuCFruit »

KK, Thank you for the tip. I just played through the new level and really liked it. One thing I noticed though that when I recalled Kennison, He was a level 1 bowman! Other than that, It was rather fun. Keep up the good work.
If you're going downhill, you might as well ride.
boru

Post by boru »

I'll look into this. I think it's because I did some revisions at the end of Thunderstruck that might not trigger if you're playing from a saved game that is not version 0.6. It's tricky getting all the characters from 3 different sides onto the recall list. But, since Kennison's not in Thunderstruck, it might be something I overlooked ...

Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

I found some other small problems:

- Thundergobo unit: your comment to the unit says:

thunderstick damage 15 instead of 18 
and later in the cfg...

[attack]
        name=thunderstick
        description=_"thunderstick"
        type=pierce
        range=ranged
        damage=18
        number=1
    [/attack]
The damage apparently is still 18...

- Wolves: you have two unit types with the same id (id=Swamp Wolf), in SWolf.cfg and in Wolf.cfg. In Wolf.cfg there is advances_to=null. This may create problems, because you have a unit that can advance and one that cannot with the same id. Fix: remove Wolf.cfg.

I fixed some strange pixels on the weapons of two Thundergobo sprites.
Fixed some pixels
Fixed some pixels
new-thundergobo-attack-ne2.png (1.44 KiB) Viewed 5887 times
Fixed some pixels
Fixed some pixels
new-thundergobo-attack-se2.png (1.53 KiB) Viewed 5887 times
I also wmllinted and wmlscoped the campaign for you, so you will spot errors easier. Here there are the logs. Two notes:
1) Most "unit speaks in his/her death event" errors can be fixed by replacing the die event with a last breath event.
2) The wmlscope "unresolved reference" errors are all pointing to the UMC Music tracks. So, you can safely ignore them.
Wmllint log:
Spoiler:
Wmlscope log:
Spoiler:
Stern
Art Contributor

Post by Stern »

I played through the campaign and had a lot of fun with the thunder gobos. The only major thing out of place was the lack of mosquito graphics. Should I continue developing this one?

*Edit* - The mosquito is now being developed further in the "Art Workshop" forum under the thread titled "Stern's Art: Mosquito."
Attachments
mosquito-animation.gif
mosquito-animation.gif (3.39 KiB) Viewed 5877 times
Last edited by Stern on June 21st, 2010, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doing things one step at a time. Current Project: Speckles the Toad!
boru

Post by boru »

Elvish_Hunter, thanks again for another very helpful bugfix report, and the Thundergobo updates.

Stern, that mosquito is totally awesome!

Only criticism I'd have, is my mosquito has a 1-1 attack and 1 hitpoint. I know that scale is very very relative in a game where a goblin is the same size as a mountain (and the same size as a village), still I think I'd expect a beast that large to have a bit more of a bite to him.

I'd like to use him in other battles, though, for random attacks.

If you'd like to do a smaller one, that would be terrific.

There's also a whole lot of other sprite art and portraits I will eventually need for this campaign. Here is a list .. Stern, please let me know if you're interested in doing the art on any of these (especially perhaps the first one on the list). I'm in absolutely no rush for art, by the way.

There are definite spoilers on this list, by which I mean, characters that have not yet appeared in the game, so don't read if you don't like spoilers!

Spoiler:
EDIT: I just uploaded version 0.8 to the add-ons server.

jearrr

Small critique

Post by jearrr »

Hello all,

I just registered to this forum to give You a little feedback for Your campaign: It is an excellent, most likely the most entertaining storyline in the game which wraps up some very good missions. Drama, irony, surprising u-turns, jokes, and glory: Your campaign has it all. This should go into the main package!

The only trouble I currently have is the last mission with the Augur.
Spoiler:
More praise and suggestions:
Spoiler:
My regards,

jearrr

ps How much effort/time was the creation of the pixel art? How long does it take to make a unit? Where does one start?
Dixie

Re: Swamplings - v0.8 - 14 of 16 scenarios

Post by Dixie »

@ jearrr, about creating art:

You could start by taking a look at this: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Create_Art
You can also browse that forum a plenty: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewforum.php?f=23 You might want to pay special attention to the Francken-Pack sticky.
Other than that, just try a software and take a stab at it :)

Now, about the time it takes... I think it really depends on your skill/your quality standard, but I couldn't tell you, really...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth