The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hulavuta

Re: Hulavuta's Rants

Post by Hulavuta »

Next Rant. This is a rant on racism.

Before I begin, let me say that this rant is [NOT going to be about how racism is wrong, because everyone already knows that racism is wrong. Rather, this rant will be about how people falsely identify something as "racist."

You all know it. When someone says something as little as, "no, the black stapler doesn't work. go get the white one." they say it's racist. When somebody says: "Which one were you referring to?" and the reply is "The black one," they say it's racist. This is NOT ANYWHERE NEAR racist. That's simply identifying them by something about them that is different from the other options. If the reply was instead "The one in the Led Zeppelin T-Shirt," people wouldn't say "Oh, you're a Led Zeppelin hater."

That's not racism. Even saying "that Hispanic man over there is a friggin' moron" isn't racist in the least, as long as it's true. If the person saying it has talked to him and knows him well and knows that he is stupid, then the person saying it has every right to say that he's stupid. It's only racist if the person saying it has NEVER met the person and has never talked to him, etc.

Making generalizations or stereotypes about entire races IS racist, as like I stated before, you can only say something about someone if you know them, and I would bet everything I own that no one has met EVERY single person of a race that has EVER lived.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

In fact in saying that something is racist that isn't, that person is being racist, because they're implying the fact that it's racist and shouldn't be said.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Beware of reverse-racism, too. Favor treatment, even tough perhaps less hurtful, are still pretty racist. That guy hiring for some compagny who would say "Hey, let's hire more black people than white ones to show we're not racists" would actually be racist. It's not really better in the long run and fixes nothing.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Oh yeah, this reminds me of a quote from Community, which is kind of hard to explain but makes sense:

"I think that not being racist is the new racist."
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
oberon

Post by oberon »

@HUlavata and @Dixie, I have never actually come across either of these, and find it very hard to believe they are anything like as common as actual racism.

Incidentally, positive discrimination over race is illegal in the UK, but it is (sort of) legal over sex. Not quite sure what the logic behind that is.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Are you talking about my rant or the quote?

The quote, somewhat loosely explained is something like this: "Don't get fried chicken for the party, because black people might be offended that we are getting fried chicken."

It's kind of hard to explain, but hopefully this can wrap a mind around it.
~Sierra
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Next Rant: This rant is rather long, so I'll put it in a section collapser.

This is a rant about people who say that Dr. Pepper is the same as Root Beer.

It isn't.
~Sierra
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

I lol'd.
*has nothing else to say*

Necromancy most foul! - Doc Paterson

All hail my new campaign, Lords of the North! Now on the add-ons server!
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

:lol2:

Although I actually didn't know anyone thought that.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote::lol2:

Although I actually didn't know anyone thought that.
They do.
~Sierra
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

WHAT? People insult root beer by saying it's the same as a friking energy drink? mad.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

What's with all this agression? why do you have to alwasy be so <urinated>off? why can't you post a happy thread :lol2:

I've never had Dr Pepper, I don't know what it tastes like, but I've been drinking a lot of home-brewed rose-beer lately. Take some rose syrup, chuck it in a contianrer with a bit of sugar and some water, then throw in some brewer's yeast and leave it in the dark for a while. Alchahol content: pretty low,
Spoiler:
Taste: great!
Cost: very little, the yeast was the most expensive thing.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Captain_Wrathbow

Frogger5 wrote:WHAT? People insult root beer by saying it's the same as a friking energy drink? mad.
Dr. Pepper's not an energy drink- it's just another type of soda.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Vault is an energy drink. I'm guessing Frogger has never had Dr. Pepper either.

By the way, I love Dr. Pepper. However I like Root Beer more and it tastes nothing the same.
~Sierra
Captain_Wrathbow

DP is my favorite soda. I don't like most energy drinks. Pepsi is waaaay better than coke. So there.

:wink: