Campaign: Saving Elensefar

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mellor

Clearwater Port

Post by Mellor »

It is The Ruined Port scenario that loads oddly. I have found that the "vaguely elvish isle" loads with the newer version. That island is the site of The Deadly Alliance that so far has proven true to its name.

This may sound very stupid, but I'll ask anyway. I think that I've cleared every island except for the one in The Deadly Alliance. Where are Black the Red's allies?

(I tried to send a replay of The Ruined Port as an attachment to this, but it wouldn't take.)

Bugs aside, this is a really great campaign. Probably my favourite.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I have no idea what the f*** happened. I had a really good map for "The Ruined Port", but apparently it got replaced by the map for "The High Seas". I guess I'll have to remake it.

For now, just don't go to that island...

[edit]
Phew! False alarm. I had a .swp file somewhere, which vim immediately alerted me to the presence of. It works correctly now, and an updated version (0.7.2) is on the server.

(Also, Deadly Alliance was pseudo-balanced (meaning I didn't actually playtest it, but I changed some stuff based on what people have been saying).)
[/edit]

@Mellor: What version of the campaign do you have? There are allies on the furthest-west island in 0.7.1.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

Code: Select all

cat ~/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Saving_Elensefar/scenarios/Traitor.cfg | grep 'Seafarer'
        type=Elvish Seafarer
What should this be? Mariner/ Admiral/ or something?

Edit: I switched it to Elvish Mariner and it works!
Bear, as in Fozzy,Bare, as in Arms,Beer, as in Free.
Distro | Browser
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Breeblebox wrote:

Code: Select all

cat ~/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Saving_Elensefar/scenarios/Traitor.cfg | grep 'Seafarer'
        type=Elvish Seafarer
What should this be? Mariner/ Admiral/ or something?

Edit: I switched it to Elvish Mariner and it works!
*shrug*

was not in my version of the campaign, nor, AFAICT, in the one I released on the server... might it be a problem with files being accidentally retained on your computer?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Mellor

Loading The Ruined Port and finding Black's friends

Post by Mellor »

I was running 0.7.1 but loaded 0.7.2 and found that the map with two orcs at each other's throats comes up.

I'm still having problems finding Black's friends. Do they appear at The Swampland? That is the westernmost land, it appears on the map in 0.7.2. Or might it be another island after The Deadly Alliance? This might be the easiest way to see whether I can find it: What are the High Seas coordinates for the island with Black's friends?

The omission of villages in The Ruined Port is brilliant. Well done!
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Loading The Ruined Port and finding Black's friends

Post by turin »

Mellor wrote:I was running 0.7.1 but loaded 0.7.2 and found that the map with two orcs at each other's throats comes up.
Good. :)
Mellor wrote:I'm still having problems finding Black's friends. Do they appear at The Swampland? That is the westernmost land, it appears on the map in 0.7.2.
No, the swampland is the easternmost land. In all of the maps I make, up=north.
Mellor wrote: Or might it be another island after The Deadly Alliance? This might be the easiest way to see whether I can find it: What are the High Seas coordinates for the island with Black's friends?
Yes, its another island after "Deadly Alliance". The coordinates are {6,12}. They are on the same island as "the ruined port", just further north on it.
Mellor wrote:The omission of villages in The Ruined Port is brilliant. Well done!
Thanks! I still have to see how unbalancing it is, though. Do you think I should add a few villages near the orcs, and none anywhere else, or leave it with none?
The World of Orbivm
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

I finally beat Deadly Alliance (Saving Elensefar Version 0.7.0, 2-9-05; BfW version 0.8.10) on medium difficulty, but it cost me most of my troops, and bankrupted me. IMHO, if it hasn't been already, it should perhaps be toned down a touch - having to stave off that many L2's is... painful. I've attached a replay; there are places that could've been done better, and times I was really lucky (such as the Avenger's one-man stand on the west flank on turns 5 and 6). No saveloading, except two times when I lost a 'hero', in which case I went back a turn or two and tried a different strategy.

Actually, I just went to update the campaign, and noticed that the version string in the .cfg file is still 0.7.0; now I'm not positive which version the replay is from...
Author of Wercator
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It was a new version, I've just been forgetting to update the .cfg file along with the .pbl.
The World of Orbivm
Mellor

Villages in The Ruined Port and Elensefar

Post by Mellor »

I don't think that villages around the orc fortresses in The Ruined Port would be necessary, although it is possible to wait for the orcs to reduce themselves to the two leaders, who are unable to call reinforcements, and then go in with M, M, B, and a marksman or sharpshooter to finish off the leaders. I noticed in the status table a fourth entry besides Meneldur, the Orc warrior, and the Orc warlord. Is there a surprise in the scenario? If so, I couldn't find it, although I sent units to all corners of the map.

Congratulations to Quensel on winning Deadly Alliance! I still can't on medium. What if Black would be promoted to a dark lord? That would certainly help. Perhaps WML doesn't allow it.

I did find Black's brother, but, upon returning to Elensefar, only Meneldur showed up. Black and Madru were nowhere to be found. And the orcs, humans, and elves who supposedly were allied against Meneldur fought amongst each other.

This is a complicated campaign (and my favourite) due to the variety of alliances, and I applaud Turin for it.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Thanks. :)

Yeah, I'm still working on the last scenario... unfortunately, I'm stuck on "The Desert Island". (its annoying when you can't beat your own campaign but others can ;( ). It will be really easy to fix the three enemies in the final scenario not being allied, the thing with black and madru... less so.
The World of Orbivm
Big Bad Joe

Post by Big Bad Joe »

In first TX to Turin for this campaign :) .
And now the bitter things - WHERE ARE MY UNDEAD???? Fight for them, let my soldiers spill their blood for them and now - the final battle comes and all my allies are nowhere to found :P .
The campaign is maybe a little bit long for units you receive - have nothing to level up in last four or five islands, and it began to bore me - so play assasinate strategy with four assasins - No big deal.
Are there any mages somewhere ( just addicted :) )???
TX
Just bored..
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Big Bad Joe wrote:In first TX to Turin for this campaign :) .
Your welcome. :)
Big Bad Joe wrote:And now the bitter things - WHERE ARE MY UNDEAD???? Fight for them, let my soldiers spill their blood for them and now - the final battle comes and all my allies are nowhere to found :P .
Um... yeah, uh, I'm getting to that soon... right now I'm rebalancing the Elvish island.

The fix is coming soon, but don't hold your breath.
Big Bad Joe wrote:The campaign is maybe a little bit long for units you receive - have nothing to level up in last four or five islands, and it began to bore me - so play assasinate strategy with four assasins - No big deal.
Recently I changed it so you can recruit elves on the second scenario of the elvish island, and men on the third scenario of the wesnothian isle. And you've always been able to recruit dwarves on the northern isle that's covered in snow. Tell me if any of these are not working.
Big Bad Joe wrote:Are there any mages somewhere ( just addicted :) )???
TX
Not yet.
The World of Orbivm
Dwarvish Bard

Bugs in latest...

Post by Dwarvish Bard »

I started a thread about this in the user's forum, but Quensul said I should post it here, so here it is again -

Wesnoth 0.8.11, latest version of Saving Elensefar (just downloaded it couple of days ago). I've encountered two bugs so far:

1) In one scenario named I think "Blackmoor the Black", the island where you meet both Orcs and Undead, the scenario objective says "survive until end of turns", but if you run out the clock you are defeated.

2) On a different island, occupied by Elves IIRC, the campaign barfs with a message something like "Can't find _Elvish Navigator_". (Sorry; I can't remember the details very well.)

BTW, it's really a fun campaign.
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Bugs in latest...

Post by turin »

Dwarvish Bard wrote:1) In one scenario named I think "Blackmoor the Black", the island where you meet both Orcs and Undead, the scenario objective says "survive until end of turns", but if you run out the clock you are defeated.
That is not a problem of faulty WML, its a problem of faulty scenario objectives. You are supposed to have to defeat all enemies.
I'll just go change the objectives....
Dwarvish Bard wrote:2) On a different island, occupied by Elves IIRC, the campaign barfs with a message something like "Can't find _Elvish Navigator_". (Sorry; I can't remember the details very well.)
This sounds a lot like a bug I've already fixed. :
Dwarvish Bard wrote:w version that fixes the first bug, can you get it and tell me if the second one also appears there?
Dwarvish Bard wrote:BTW, it's really a fun campaign.
Thanks! ;]
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Version 0.7.7.

Features:
* Gives you gold at the end of Traitors
* New map for Deadly Alliance (don't know if its more balanced, but more interesting)
* I'm probably forgetting something...

Any bugfixes are welcome.

And FYI, i'm approaching 1.0, and will probably have reached it once I've playtested through all the scenarios. I'm on Deadly Alliance right now. So 1.0 is set for the beginning of may, but maybe earlier.
The World of Orbivm