LordBob's random stuff : Nagas and more

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Pewskeepski

Re: LordBob's random stuff : trolls !

Post by Pewskeepski »

There's a white outline surrounding him. It's probably there because my board style is Acidtech.
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
em3

Post by em3 »

Yep, it's there. Tested against black background.
ride on shooting star
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

The troll has fangs? Is this intentional? Well I guess it must be intentional.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

He does, and so do other existing troll portraits, which is why I included this - arguably cheesy - feature in the beginning. I agree that there's hardly any cultural or biological facts to support this in the lore, but it's either live with it or change the troll & troll whelp portraits as well. Which can easily be achived - we just need to agree on something.

The white outline was a side effect of 8 bit PNG format. I wanted to give 8 bit a shot as it cuts down file size by two thirds, but it turns out Photoshop automatically adds this outline when mapping transparency. Unless I can find how to get rid of it, we'll have to do with a larger 24 bit file. Which is attached hereafter, along with the small portrait.
Attachments
trolls-great_troll.png
trolls-great_troll.png (271 KiB) Viewed 4530 times
trolls-great_troll_small.png
trolls-great_troll_small.png (18.79 KiB) Viewed 4530 times
em3

Post by em3 »

The topic of fangs/tusks was discussed here.
Jetrel wrote: - Some barely-there tusks are cool, but full-on warcraft style stuff is a bad idea.
So, yeah. Tusks are here because of the rule of cool, but one shouldn't go over the top with them. I'd say LordBob didn't.
ride on shooting star
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

em3 wrote: So, yeah. Tusks are here because of the rule of cool, but one shouldn't go over the top with them. I'd say LordBob didn't.
Considering that I never even noticed them until they were pointed out, yeah, definitely not.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

8-bit PNG's can't have semi-transparent pixels, so there can't be any anti-aliasing of the transparency. That's why Photoshop had to add a background color.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
boru

Post by boru »

I'm using Photoshop CS2. You can open your image in ImageReady and in the optimize pallet you specify Matte as "none." See attachment.

By the way, I really hope you will do a rocklobber troll portrait as well as the others you're planning.

EDIT: Also, a technique I haven't tried, that might be worth investigating.
Attachments
trolls-great_troll8bit.png
trolls-great_troll8bit.png (87.52 KiB) Viewed 4392 times
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Aaah, jaggies. The original was better (and not having semi-transparent pixels is an absolute killer for any technique to be used on portraits). Optipng can save the rest.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

thespaceinvader wrote:Aaah, jaggies. The original was better
Are you refering to 8bit vs 24 bit, or is there something I should change in the latest version of the troll ? :hmm:

Boru: rocklobber is planned as well, I simply forgot to mention him.

Now back to my regular trolling of the forums ( :mrgreen: ): WIP for the warrior sketch. I've taken some liberty compared to the sprite, since it is very similar to the great troll/troll hero line. Instead, I'm following the unit description which mentions makeshift armour crafted with whatever gobelins could gather. In this case, a mix of human/dwarvish steel plates, chainmail, shields, some drakish bronze, leather, rope, ...And a cooking pot for a helm ! :D
I'm hoping the result will be fearsome enough. Just let me know if I'm overdoing the "armoured troll" bit.
Attachments
trolls-trollwarrior.jpg
trolls-trollwarrior.jpg (20.43 KiB) Viewed 4315 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

To the one boru posted.

Keep using 24-bit =)

The Warrior looks cool to me. I'd probably tone down the armour a little though - and it's worth considering that to find knee armour to fit, it would have to be custom-designed, Troll limbs would be much, much bigger than any of the other humanoid species.

I'd suggest, however, that in light of it, you make the Great Troll, above, into the Troll Hero, and do a similarly-themed portrait to the Warrior for the Great Troll - the Great should definitely look more powerful both socially and physically, than the Warrior.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

The knee armour I thought he would have plundered from a drake, but this might be far-fetched since I don't have a clear idea of trolls' & drakes' relative scale.

What you suggest for the great troll would be quite challenging - short of a tank, can there be anything more powerfull than both the Hero & Warrior that still looks trollish ? :p
I'll start with toning down the Warrior's armour, then try and come up with some distinctive feature for the Great.
em3

Post by em3 »

Maybe he could use human pauldrons for knee armor? :hmm:
ride on shooting star
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Trolls and drakes have similar scale, but radically different anatomy...
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

I forgot to say this earlier, but a few months back, we converted all indexed images to 24 bit RGB/32 bit RGBA. With optipng, the size doesn't increase much, and it can sometimes choke on indexed things.