Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Spaghooti

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Spaghooti »

For some reason, waiting for reinforcements to arrive (which ends the scenario) seems to let me continue, while killing the enemy boss brings up the error. Weird, but at least I can continue
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

Spaghooti wrote: January 8th, 2024, 1:10 am
dwarftough wrote: January 8th, 2024, 1:01 am
Spaghooti wrote: January 7th, 2024, 10:59 pm I'm not sure if this is the right place to report this, but I get the error:
"Warning: broken campaign branches", saying that the scenario 05_Umbra is missing. What do I do to fix this?
Which version of Wesnoth and LotI do you have? In which scenario does it appear?
Wesnoth version 1.16.11, LotI version 3.2.7c

It appears in the scenario Darkness Closing In, in Part 1 of the campaign
Can you proceed to the next scenario? I tried opening it myself and didn't see any warning, and proceeding to the next scenario works fine for me
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
Spaghooti

Post by Spaghooti »

dwarftough wrote: January 8th, 2024, 1:24 am
Spaghooti wrote: January 8th, 2024, 1:10 am
dwarftough wrote: January 8th, 2024, 1:01 am
Spaghooti wrote: January 7th, 2024, 10:59 pm I'm not sure if this is the right place to report this, but I get the error:
"Warning: broken campaign branches", saying that the scenario 05_Umbra is missing. What do I do to fix this?
Which version of Wesnoth and LotI do you have? In which scenario does it appear?
Wesnoth version 1.16.11, LotI version 3.2.7c

It appears in the scenario Darkness Closing In, in Part 1 of the campaign
Can you proceed to the next scenario? I tried opening it myself and didn't see any warning, and proceeding to the next scenario works fine for me
I just reloaded my save and killed the enemy leader again and I didn't get the error... weird. Whatever may have caused it seems to have fixed itself.
dabber

Post by dabber »

I decided to try the beta version, so I downloaded Wesnoth 1.17.24 and installed LotI. Among other things, I repeatedly get an error
"wesnoth.fire_event has been deprecated indefinitely.; (Note: You should use wesnoth.game_events.fire instead in new code)."

I got nowhere google searching for what that really means. Can anyone point me to some guidance on what it means, and thus how I (or someone else) can go about fixing it in the github code?
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

It is wesnoth telling dugi that he needs to change one of the function he is using in the lua code of the campaign.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

dabber wrote: January 16th, 2024, 7:17 am I decided to try the beta version, so I downloaded Wesnoth 1.17.24 and installed LotI. Among other things, I repeatedly get an error
"wesnoth.fire_event has been deprecated indefinitely.; (Note: You should use wesnoth.game_events.fire instead in new code)."

I got nowhere google searching for what that really means. Can anyone point me to some guidance on what it means, and thus how I (or someone else) can go about fixing it in the github code?
IIRC, that's a warning, not an error, and wesnoth.game_events.fire isn't available for 1.16.

Turn off debug mode?
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

It's nothing you need to worry about. Either disable debug mode, or disable deprecation logging in the advanced preferences. (I think the logging preferences aren't saved though so you might need to do that every time you open Wesnoth, unless you want to create a shortcut that passes the appropriate logging parameter.)
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

Yeah, I remember it has been tried to start replacing to wesnoth.game_events.fire but it soon turned out that this lua method isn't available on 1.16 so it had to be reverted. Creating a new branch for 1.17 specific changes in the LotI repository might be a solution ofc
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
dabber

Post by dabber »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: January 16th, 2024, 2:07 pmEither disable debug mode, or disable deprecation logging in the advanced preferences. (I think the logging preferences aren't saved though so you might need to do that every time you open Wesnoth, unless you want to create a shortcut that passes the appropriate logging parameter.)
Thanks, that's what I needed to understand.

For a more overt bug, Dugi's Ward and Dugi's Wrath don't appear in my crafting window. If I go into crafting.lua and change the item number limits from 560 to 561 and 600 to 601, they do appear. That's odd, as it sure looks like the for loops there should include the last value, but clearly they don't.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

dabber wrote: January 17th, 2024, 9:05 am That's odd, as it sure looks like the for loops there should include the last value, but clearly they don't.
The numbers_between function is documented as returning a half-open interval. So it includes the first value but not the last value.
dabber

Post by dabber »

gnombat wrote: January 17th, 2024, 10:28 am
dabber wrote: January 17th, 2024, 9:05 amThat's odd, as it sure looks like the for loops there should include the last value, but clearly they don't.
The numbers_between function is documented as returning a half-open interval. So it includes the first value but not the last value.
Thank you for the extremely well explained answer. I had no idea where to start looking. But now I do for next time!
Josh

Post by Josh »

Whew I finished the campaign last night... took me about ~3 months. Not bad for a piece of free entertainment. Thanks very much to Dugi and all the contributors!

On the flip side I'm utterly spoiled now, and want items and extensive AMLA trees for all the scenarios I play. I may just play it all again, now that I understand the systems and story better than I did before - I ended up not using a whole bunch of my cool potions and did very little crafting (other than Dugi's Wrath in the very last chapter, which I'm not sure I could have beat it without) because I kept fearing all my characters and items would get wiped like they do at various times.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Josh wrote: January 20th, 2024, 3:11 am On the flip side I'm utterly spoiled now, and want items and extensive AMLA trees for all the scenarios I play.
Yeah, there's that.

There are three spinoffs, but the 1.16 ports haven't been released yet AFAIK (they're done, if you really want them you can get them from git).

In the meantime, here's some other non-standard campaigns you may enjoy. I left a few out as I can't recall their names. The first on in particular is a little, different.

viewtopic.php?t=31799

viewtopic.php?t=50079

viewtopic.php?t=35400

viewtopic.php?t=57500

viewtopic.php?t=55747

viewtopic.php?t=44930
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Josh wrote: January 20th, 2024, 3:11 am On the flip side I'm utterly spoiled now, and want items and extensive AMLA trees for all the scenarios I play. I may just play it all again, now that I understand the systems and story better than I did before - I ended up not using a whole bunch of my cool potions and did very little crafting (other than Dugi's Wrath in the very last chapter, which I'm not sure I could have beat it without) because I kept fearing all my characters and items would get wiped like they do at various times.
Adding to white_haired_uncles list, there are the campaigns by revansurik, which feature multiple protagonists with their own AMLA trees.
A Song of the Winds
A Song of Fire
War of the Jewel
Soldier of Wesnoth (sadly not on 1.16 :c)
Aria of the Dragon Slayer
Josh

Post by Josh »

Thanks for the suggestions! I've played a few of those, though will note that Aria of the Dragon Slayer currently has a bug in 1.16 that makes it unfinishable (I posted about it in its thread about a bit back, don't think anyone's had the time to fix it yet).

It's honestly incredibly impressive that people put so much work into these games for little more than a few thanks in these forums.