Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dalas120
Developer

Re: Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Post by Dalas120 »

Telchin wrote: May 10th, 2023, 2:40 pm I believe I've found how to implement this - create a variable that persists for the whole campaign and an event that is included in all scenarios and is conditional on that variable (so it won't trigger again after the first time). Can anybody confirm that works?
Yep! I do something similar in Eastern Invasion, Revised, where a message pops up the first time (in any scenario) you recruit undead. Just like you said, I make the event conditional on a variable not being "yes", and as soon as the event fires I set the variable.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

I've come with an idea for a new Globster weapon special that might fit it better than plague while not over-shadowing the rest of its line - a status effect that only rewards units with "swarm" weapon special. This way the Globster supports the rest of the Young Cuttlefish line (and the Fire Squid line) but not other Globsters, so the player should be incentivized to have both Krakens and Globsters.
My current version works thusly: The Globster's melee attack "enchants" the enemy for one turn. When the "enchanted" enemy is attacked by an attack with the "swarm" special, the attack will have 10 strikes regardless of the unit's current health and will also drain life as if it had "drains" special. The drain doesn't work on non-living units, but the former effect does. I've managed to code it in WML, but it's rather hacky:
  • The number of strikes is hard-coded to 10, as that's the maximum number for all attacks with "swarm" in this campaign. If you want to reuse it in a campaign where units have swarm attacks with different number of strikes (e. g the dust devil in UtBS) you need better understanding of WML than I have.
  • The special will display a message on hit, but there is no other graphical indication of the status effect. New status icons in the sidebar require knowledge of lua (which I don't have) and while changing unit's color is possible with WML image paths, I haven't figured how to change them back when the status ends.
  • Due to the above-mentined lack of graphical indicator, I'm not sure if this weapon special should work on defense because if the enemy gets "enchanted" on their turn, the player might miss it or forget it before their turn starts.
  • I need some catchy/flavorful name for this skill. Despite my use of "enchant" above it shouldn't be flavored as blatant magic, more some weird biological function of the Globster that rejuvenates tentacles of other cuttlefish or somesuch (I will expand the Globster's description accordingly if I implement this change).
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Given that I didn't get any new fedback in almost two months, I've decided to implement some previously discussed ideas and publish new version 1.6.2. New features:
  • Globsters get the new weapon special mentioned in my last post. The effect now also has a graphical indication - an overlay of red-black tentacles over the affected unit.
  • Tentacle units now display holes beneath them when outside of water as prewieved earlier in this thread.
  • Giant Clam line now has 40% defense on sand (was 30%).
On the downside I've noticed an issue when translating - few units (Giant Clam, Gargantuan Clam and Saurian Blind Seer) have their names and descriptions untranslated and don't appear in the .pot file. I've looked into their .cfg files but they seem to have the correct textdomain. Does anybody know where the problem is?
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Telchin wrote: July 5th, 2023, 12:57 pm On the downside I've noticed an issue when translating - few units (Giant Clam, Gargantuan Clam and Saurian Blind Seer) have their names and descriptions untranslated and don't appear in the .pot file. I've looked into their .cfg files but they seem to have the correct textdomain. Does anybody know where the problem is?
Missing _ ?
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Looking at the files IQ_Blind_Seer.cfg, IQ_Gargantuan_Clam.cfg, and IQ_Giant_Clam.cfg, I notice they all have a BOM (Byte-Order Mark) - that may be causing issues with wmlxgettext. (Also, _main.cfg has a BOM too.) I would try saving the files without BOM.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

I notice they all have a BOM (Byte-Order Mark) - that may be causing issues with wmlxgettext. (Also, _main.cfg has a BOM too.) I would try saving the files without BOM.
I must admit that I don't know what Byte-Order Mark is and how to find/remove it. :oops:
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Telchin wrote: July 7th, 2023, 3:06 pm I must admit that I don't know what Byte-Order Mark is and how to find/remove it. :oops:
It depends what text editor and operating system you are using...

Some editors make it really easy to diagnose this issue and fix it - for example, if you are using Visual Studio Code on Windows (I think it works on other operating systems too, but I have never tried it anywhere but Windows), your file will look like this:

visual-studio-code.png

Note that it says "UTF-8 with BOM" in the information listed in the bottom right corner. To change this:
  1. Click "UTF-8 with BOM"
  2. The editor will prompt you with a list of actions - select "Save with Encoding"
  3. The editor will prompt you with a list of encodings - the first two are "UTF-8 with BOM" and "UTF-8". You want the one without the BOM, so select "UTF-8".
  4. It's done. Now it should say simply "UTF-8" in the bottom right.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Some editors make it really easy to diagnose this issue and fix it - for example, if you are using Visual Studio Code on Windows (I think it works on other operating systems too, but I have never tried it anywhere but Windows), your file will look like this:
You might be horrified to learn that I edit .cfg files in a regular Windows "Notepad". Fortunately, it turns out that I also have "Notepad++" installed on my computer and it has the functionality you described. :D The Czech translation is now updated and released as version 1.6.3 (no other changes compared to 1.6.2).
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

I've used Notepad back in my Win95/8 days. It's not bad but I too have read that it has this quirk with BOM. Now under Linux though I would not part with my Kate. She's lovely. : )
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

As branch 1.18 of Wesnoth was released earlier this month, I've updated the campaign - released as version 1.7. If you played the last version for the 1.16 branch, it's pretty much the same with only cosmetic differences:
  • Sosarix's sprite is now based on a level 3 saurian unit and he can recruit saurian spearthrowers.
  • The guardian fish in "The Divining Pool" can now recruit the new caribe unit and use the "fish" variant of WC.
If you encounter any bugs or have any ideas for improvement, feel fre to share them. Enjoy.