Temuchin Khan's maps

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps

Post by Atreides »

Temuchin Khan wrote: October 26th, 2023, 2:07 pm
Lord-Knightmare wrote: October 26th, 2023, 7:15 am
Atreides wrote: October 25th, 2023, 8:24 pm Boy, I just realized I gotta download them here. Silly me, waiting for the add-on. Will try them out ASAP.
I think such intricately designed maps would be more accessible and get more play counts if downloaded as a published addon. Making a map pack should not take long.
That's probably true. Unfortunately, so far I have not figured out how to do that!
Since they needed to be placed in an addon to work I made one quickly. Might as well upload that. Just copied another map pack and used the scenario file from merkwuerdigeliebe. So it's got the same teams as that. : )

P.S. I just learned quite by accident that map files can be run if placed in the maps dir of the editor, no scenario/addon required at all! It uses all the defaults plus it sets a 90 turn limit interestingly. In any case I update my post so as not to spread the wrong info. You do not need a scenario file to play any map, they can all be played with just the .map file.
Attachments
Khan_Maps.tar.gz
uncompress in addons dir
(13.13 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Last edited by Atreides on December 15th, 2023, 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Atreides wrote: October 26th, 2023, 7:30 pm
Atreides wrote: October 25th, 2023, 8:24 pm Boy, I just realized I gotta download them here. Silly me, waiting for the add-on. Will try them out ASAP.
I think such intricately designed maps would be more accessible and get more play counts if downloaded as a published addon. Making a map pack should not take long.
That's probably true. Unfortunately, so far I have not figured out how to do that!
Since they needed to be placed in an addon to work I made one quickly. Might as well upload that. Just copied another map pack and used the scenario file from merkwuerdigeliebe. So it's got the same teams as that. : )
Thank you. And I have sometimes tried to imitate some other people's work in order to make something of my own. A few weeks ago, for example, I tried to modify A Neverending Era. But somehow, I always end up breaking things instead. One of these days I'll probably figure it out, but I don't have the kind of time I used to, so we'll see.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Temuchin Khan wrote: October 28th, 2023, 1:36 am

Thank you. And I have sometimes tried to imitate some other people's work in order to make something of my own. A few weeks ago, for example, I tried to modify A Neverending Era. But somehow, I always end up breaking things instead. One of these days I'll probably figure it out, but I don't have the kind of time I used to, so we'll see.
Your welcome.

I might be able to help you with the Neverending Era modification if you want. I am the author of that and maybe it would be an improvement to the add-on I could make "official". : )
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Atreides wrote: October 28th, 2023, 5:11 pm
Your welcome.

I might be able to help you with the Neverending Era modification if you want. I am the author of that and maybe it would be an improvement to the add-on I could make "official". : )
Actually, my modified version worked at first.

What happened was that I added Imperial Era. And like I said, it was working. But then I used my modified Neverending Era with Custom Campaign, and the Imperial Era factions got erased from the lineup. And I couldn't get them back.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Temuchin Khan wrote: October 29th, 2023, 6:44 pm
Atreides wrote: October 28th, 2023, 5:11 pm

Your welcome.

Actually, my modified version worked at first.

What happened was that I added Imperial Era. And like I said, it was working. But then I used my modified Neverending Era with Custom Campaign, and the Imperial Era factions got erased from the lineup. And I couldn't get them back.
Fascinating. I'm a big fan of Custom campaign but I have not yet had a chance (or the idea) to try it with the ANE. I hope there isn't some conflict. I'll try it out!

P.S. Tried it, made a custom faction and tried to load it but the side ends up with no units. Also tried it with 1.14 and it works fine there. I suspect it is 1.16's compartmentalization of eras that is the cause. Custom Campaign was unfortunately limited by that change to only working with the currently loaded era. The problem with Neverending is that it isn't exactly an era. More of a "meta era". It uses the resource tags to load the stand alone eras it is made of and my guess is that when CC tries to substitute the custom saved faction it is not seen by Wesnoth.
This is a tricky one. I'm not sure yet what can be done to make them work together.
Oh and many thanks for finding this!

P.P.S. Weird. Now it works beautifully in 1.16. I think I must have used CC wrong last time and saved a "defective" faction somehow. I was clicking on everything to try and figure out what was what and I might have messed up CC somehow. CC is really neat, from reading the really old forum posts about it I learned you can have secondary leaders and heroes. The main problem with CC for me has been the lack of a manual/documentation... I've gotten spoilt in expecting that as I got older. : ) As a youngster all my software came w/o docs... Anyways! Alas now I'm none the wiser as for what went wrong with your attempt. What I can do is try and recreate what you did. Adding the IE to it. Unofficially of course.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Temuchin Khan wrote: October 24th, 2023, 6:49 pm Plus, I wanted to take advatage of some of the new terrains in 1.17 branch.
Funny thing. When I said that, the new terrains I was interested in were bluff and gulch and ruined cave wall. But the new terrain I've actually been getting the most use out of is rocky sands. Very helpful for improving desert regions!

I now have new versions of 6 maps. Sooner or later, I hope to post them--maybe even to the server instead of just the forums!