Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Dave
Founding Developer

We Need More Artists!

Post by Dave »

We are in desperate need of more artists. We are in dire need of people willing to work on,

- animating units. We have many units that are unanimated or partly animated.
- drawing new units
- drawing terrain
- drawing large images for storyline sequences, the title screen, and other purposes.

If you're an artist, and you're interested in helping in any of these areas, please let us know! We'd love to have you help!

David
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

I know a guy who does a nice fantasy web comic and draws images for a small fee.
He's cheap (10-15$ per character image, original in paper) and way better than me.
I'll post a url later (I'm not at home now)
Maybe I could check/tease him, just because he could sell the original after he sends us a digital copy we could get better price or I could exchange sprites per images or just convince him to draw for free. :-)

oh.. I'll pay him :-) if the amount is low.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

fmunoz wrote: oh.. I'll pay him :-) if the amount is low.
That is a generous offer. However fmunoz, you have spent many hours contributing many high quality graphics (and other things) to the game. I wish that we could pay you.

Asking you to pay someone else is asking too much. If one or more generous users were to donate money to the game, we could consider using some of it for a purpose such as this. But I don't think it's fair for any of the developers to have to pay money out of their own pockets for anything.

In fact, even if we were to have users donating money, I would much rather pay you to draw more images for us, fmunoz - you who have already devoted many hours to developing the game without promise of financial reward - than give it to someone else whose primary motivation is money, regardless of whether you think they are more talented or skilled than you.

Of course, if this guy would be willing to do it for free, or in exchange for some of our artwork being licensed to him [1], that'd be fine :)

This does bring us to another topic though: currently we don't solicit donations from users. Should we? Comments or concerns on this are welcome.

David

[1] I think we'd be happy to license our game artwork to people under licenses other than the GPL, although of course you'd have to get approval from the artist, but in most cases this is you, of course :)
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave wrote: This does bring us to another topic though: currently we don't solicit donations from users. Should we? Comments or concerns on this are welcome.
I would wait until more than one user is asking how they can donate to project.

- Miyo
methinks

Post by methinks »

miyo wrote: I would wait until more than one user is asking how they can donate to project.
Agreed.
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

We also need icons/buttons/menus in order to improve the user interface.
More info.
Lithorien

Post by Lithorien »

miyo wrote:
Dave wrote: This does bring us to another topic though: currently we don't solicit donations from users. Should we? Comments or concerns on this are welcome.
I would wait until more than one user is asking how they can donate to project.

- Miyo
I'd donate if you had some form of mailing address to send money to (don't use or trust things like paypal).
Know your Allies Well, Know your Enemies Better. -Sun Tzu, The Art of War.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

If there are no one working on the title screen yet, I have a friend who is a very good artist which is willing to have a go at it.

What size should it be?

Do you have any preference as to motif?

Cartoonish or life-like? (He can make a life-like drawing of the main characters based on existing gfx for example)

frame
methinks

Post by methinks »

Wow, this would ROCK!
I, personally, would prefer lifelike drawings, hardfntasy themed. Tough warriors n shining plates,skilled elvish bowmasters dressed in brown-greeenish leather mages in togas...
This game really lacks good splash screen.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

IIRC the title screen is 1024x768.
For best blend with sprites and actual image .. why not try a blend of cartoon and lige-like, detailed cartonish characters with a nice background....
Also a more "neutral" stuff could be used .. like some landscape with cities and troops at the background.
freim

Post by freim »

fmunoz wrote: IIRC the title screen is 1024x768.
So it should cover the entire screen?

I was thinking about maybe a smaller image because of the menu and logo. The logo and menu could also be incorporated into the picture somehow.

Does the lands of Wesnoth have any famous landmark or something btw? (I'm not sure how much work on the history and geography that has been done)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

frame wrote: So it should cover the entire screen?
Well, it can cover up to the entire screen, with buttons and logo on top. The artist can choose what they think is best. The display size to aim at is 1024x768 (we will have to work something out to scale to different resolutions)
frame wrote: Does the lands of Wesnoth have any famous landmark or something btw? (I'm not sure how much work on the history and geography that has been done)
There is the Ford of Abez. The easiest way to cross the Great River between the wild North Lands and Wesnoth. Many battles have been fought over the ford.

You can suggest a landmark if you'd like :)

David
freim

Post by freim »

He won't have time until january because of exams and holidays, I guess there will be a lot of good ideas before that time :)

I should get back to my studies myself... :shock: :)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Lithorien wrote: I'd donate if you had some form of mailing address to send money to (don't use or trust things like paypal).
We could provide a PO Box.

That's one user. Any other users who'd be willing to donate? :)

David
poundsmack

Post by poundsmack »

what abotu using pay pall?