Imperial Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Temuchin Khan

Re: Imperial Era

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Happy to see that IE has been updated for 1.18 branch.

However, I was wondering whether some of the new unit ideas I proposed earlier in the thread will be implemented. Anyone know?
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Danwar wrote: March 29th, 2024, 2:49 pm Formation seems to work for me ingame, actually. It's just Auctorias that's nonfunctional.
Great! How do people feel like it works? Is it making the Lavinians more tactically interesting to play?

Version 0.25.7 with correct capitalisation and functioning Auctoritas ability now uploaded. Thanks all for the bug reports.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Temuchin Khan wrote: March 30th, 2024, 11:13 pm I was wondering whether some of the new unit ideas I proposed earlier in the thread will be implemented. Anyone know?
I have no plan to do so in the near future. I remain the father of two kids under two with little free time, so I'm not likely to do any significant updates. If you'd like to run with an idea, though, feel free. If you join the github or add your suggestions here I'll update when I get a chance, but no promises as to when that would be.

If there's someone who really wants to become the maintainer for the IE drop me a PM. I've had a good run of doing nearly nothing for more than a decade now, so if someone wants to take it in another direction, I'm not opposed to taking my hands off the wheel entirely.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

UnwiseOwl wrote: April 1st, 2024, 12:58 pm
Temuchin Khan wrote: March 30th, 2024, 11:13 pm I was wondering whether some of the new unit ideas I proposed earlier in the thread will be implemented. Anyone know?
I have no plan to do so in the near future. I remain the father of two kids under two with little free time, so I'm not likely to do any significant updates. If you'd like to run with an idea, though, feel free. If you join the github or add your suggestions here I'll update when I get a chance, but no promises as to when that would be.

If there's someone who really wants to become the maintainer for the IE drop me a PM. I've had a good run of doing nearly nothing for more than a decade now, so if someone wants to take it in another direction, I'm not opposed to taking my hands off the wheel entirely.
I hear you, and I totally understand. I am currently working two jobs and obviously also no longer have the kind of time for IE that I used to!

As for who might be willing, maybe we could ask Atreides. He recently updated Feudal Era, so he might be willing to also take on IE.

ADDENDUM:

Also, here are the most recent versions of my new units, plus the idea of giving the Cavernei bats. I revised all the files as needed already, so implementing these ideas shouldn't be hard. The hard part will be deciding whether the Arendians should have the diver, the poisonous salamander, or the zombie as their new unit!
Arendian Zombie.zip
(6.68 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Cavernei with Bats.zip
(4.28 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
revised IE files.zip
(31.34 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Septimander files.zip
(15.75 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
There was also one other new unit idea that I had that I have not yet prepared the files for.

Also, if anyone thinks one of these new unit ideas would be a better fit with a different IE faction, please let me know!
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Temuchin Khan wrote: April 1st, 2024, 2:18 pmThere was also one other new unit idea that I had that I have not yet prepared the files for.
And here it is! This unit is based on a creature from Welsh lore, the Llamhigyn Y Dwr or Water Leaper:
https://cryptidz.fandom.com/wiki/Llamhigyn_Y_Dwr
For now, I am using an image of a toad from Era of Magic to represent it, but ideally we would have an image of a legless frog with bat wings and a long tail with a stinger.
Water Leaper files.zip
(16.72 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
As before, I have included all the files necessary to use it.

That rounds out my ideas for new IE units.

The reason I proposed so many new units for the Arendians is because I have never been happy with the idea that the Arendian horses can swim in deep water. I wanted a more immersive option (pun not intended) for an Arendian water unit. The Diver and Septimander could be interesting, but I really like the Hungry Corpse and the Water Leaper.

I would like to see either the Hungry Corpse or the Water Leaper added to the Arendians, the ability to move in deep water removed from the Arendians horse archers, bats added to the Cavernei, and Issaelfr seals upgraded to have the submerge ability.

What does everyone think? Do you like these news ideas and upgrades for the Imperial Era?
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

One more thing. There seems to be a bug with the revised Seal. Submerge only works if you delete the line that says {NOTE_SUBMERGE} from each of the Seal files.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Temuchin Khan wrote: April 1st, 2024, 9:37 pm One more thing. There seems to be a bug with the revised Seal. Submerge only works if you delete the line that says {NOTE_SUBMERGE} from each of the Seal files.
That's interesting. I wonder if that's caused by the recent changes to special notes or not. I'll have a look when I can. In the mean time, please keep those bug reports coming in.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

UnwiseOwl wrote: April 1st, 2024, 10:33 pm
Temuchin Khan wrote: April 1st, 2024, 9:37 pm One more thing. There seems to be a bug with the revised Seal. Submerge only works if you delete the line that says {NOTE_SUBMERGE} from each of the Seal files.
That's interesting. I wonder if that's caused by the recent changes to special notes or not. I'll have a look when I can. In the mean time, please keep those bug reports coming in.
That particular bug is specific to my revised Seal filws that gave them submerge, but if I notice anything else I'll let you know.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Totally out of nowhere but super impressive to still see this being worked on after all these years as someone who was there helping at the very beginning and apparently having helped write a campaign (that I completely forgot I did)!

I randomly remembered this project from twenty years ago when developing my own custom DnD world, which may or may not have been taking ideas from Orbivm into it.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Oreb wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 7:30 am Totally out of nowhere but super impressive to still see this being worked on after all these years as someone who was there helping at the very beginning and apparently having helped write a campaign (that I completely forgot I did)!

I randomly remembered this project from twenty years ago when developing my own custom DnD world, which may or may not have been taking ideas from Orbivm into it.
Thanks! What do you think of my proposed changes & new units? And which would you like to see added to the Arendians (if any)?
IPS

Post by IPS »

Btw, I've seen that there were a recent mention of Arendians ... which basically as a faction was incomplete, and while not making any new units to IE - Arendians in ageless, I've made some rework to certain units to suit better for factional gameplay (considering the no existence of new units) but I'ma explain it.

Hunter stats changes , I'm sure that in recent times Hunter been reworked/adapted to be a viable hybrid fighter featuring ranger skills (60% defense in forests, 2 MP cost in mountains) as well of stronger fire arrows attack. The unit might be somewhat hungry (74 XP) to lv3 , but it's absolutely worth as it has solid hybrid damages and due their description mentioning they hunt dragons well they got fire bonus. Belive me, Aredians were in a under performing to inferior status than default loyalists because units that are resistant to physical damage aren't this common (horse and the heavy fighter).

Warrior in Ageless this unit uses a mace instead of a sword, to be way more different from the swordsmen , and because the faction was leaking impact damage (Despite of the strong lv2 horses) but no infantry at all, and if kept this unit as a blade attacker, belive me, the unit feels terrible. While if their damage value is low, this is an optional advancement with a different damage type which makes the transition of new resistances/attack-damage be more advantageous than just getting an higher level swordsman.

Wanderer in ageless, their melee been decreased from insane 7-5 to 6-5 because considering of the skirmisher special and strong ranged they got (still, they have very low HP , but they're a good swift-foot which are viable in late game as well...)

While in paper all their damages look high in high levels, it's the only advantage they got... as usually they have worse resistances than most lawful human armies, or having lower mobility than chaotic dark-elf/human based factions, which leaves Aredians in a incomfortable position at either being less solid or less mobile than playing as other faction.

New units that could suit well to this faction is as well they mentioned, an aquatic-viable unit, as falcons might not be so great at defending water tiles... and swimming horses are weird XD , and maybe some early impact attacker but no real ideas in here at all. Aredians do right now depend in Blade/Pierce/Fire spam to work, so in certain situations they struggle because of the limitation of their attack types, and as said, more impact damage been added to Ageless variant to try to balance them bit more regards damage types.

But a more global point on the era , is the odd lv3 100 AMLA that this era has, which makes units to AMLA too fast (in Ageless I decided to implement "tier" lists of units that get in their lv3 gets AMLA XP values of 126/133/150/166/175 based on how strong are them in ageless ecosystem) ... considering stuff like if the unit has melee+ranged or only melee, unit's resistances or specials as +magical, etc.

But you can have a view on AE - Imperial to see what changes been done to first, adapt it more to default, second, make them feel smoother to use but without just overpowering in HIGH damage values. But in a recent post in ageless, in Ageless modified certain things in imperial/feudal era (and well, lot of random things lol).

Lastly , pls give more units to cavernei dwarves.... they don't even have ulfseker and they abolustely depend in runeplaying and observers... but their dwarves are knalga dwarves but worse magical resistances... I kinda feel Cavernei could of need a rework and more visual/stat changes to really feel as something different than being a mirror of knalga.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

IPS wrote: April 4th, 2024, 3:08 pm Btw, I've seen that there were a recent mention of Arendians ... which basically as a faction was incomplete, and while not making any new units to IE - Arendians in ageless, I've made some rework to certain units to suit better for factional gameplay (considering the no existence of new units) but I'ma explain it.

Hunter stats changes , I'm sure that in recent times Hunter been reworked/adapted to be a viable hybrid fighter featuring ranger skills (60% defense in forests, 2 MP cost in mountains) as well of stronger fire arrows attack. The unit might be somewhat hungry (74 XP) to lv3 , but it's absolutely worth as it has solid hybrid damages and due their description mentioning they hunt dragons well they got fire bonus. Belive me, Aredians were in a under performing to inferior status than default loyalists because units that are resistant to physical damage aren't this common (horse and the heavy fighter).

Warrior in Ageless this unit uses a mace instead of a sword, to be way more different from the swordsmen , and because the faction was leaking impact damage (Despite of the strong lv2 horses) but no infantry at all, and if kept this unit as a blade attacker, belive me, the unit feels terrible. While if their damage value is low, this is an optional advancement with a different damage type which makes the transition of new resistances/attack-damage be more advantageous than just getting an higher level swordsman.

Wanderer in ageless, their melee been decreased from insane 7-5 to 6-5 because considering of the skirmisher special and strong ranged they got (still, they have very low HP , but they're a good swift-foot which are viable in late game as well...)

While in paper all their damages look high in high levels, it's the only advantage they got... as usually they have worse resistances than most lawful human armies, or having lower mobility than chaotic dark-elf/human based factions, which leaves Aredians in a incomfortable position at either being less solid or less mobile than playing as other faction.

New units that could suit well to this faction is as well they mentioned, an aquatic-viable unit, as falcons might not be so great at defending water tiles... and swimming horses are weird XD , and maybe some early impact attacker but no real ideas in here at all. Aredians do right now depend in Blade/Pierce/Fire spam to work, so in certain situations they struggle because of the limitation of their attack types, and as said, more impact damage been added to Ageless variant to try to balance them bit more regards damage types.

But a more global point on the era , is the odd lv3 100 AMLA that this era has, which makes units to AMLA too fast (in Ageless I decided to implement "tier" lists of units that get in their lv3 gets AMLA XP values of 126/133/150/166/175 based on how strong are them in ageless ecosystem) ... considering stuff like if the unit has melee+ranged or only melee, unit's resistances or specials as +magical, etc.

But you can have a view on AE - Imperial to see what changes been done to first, adapt it more to default, second, make them feel smoother to use but without just overpowering in HIGH damage values. But in a recent post in ageless, in Ageless modified certain things in imperial/feudal era (and well, lot of random things lol).

Lastly , pls give more units to cavernei dwarves.... they don't even have ulfseker and they abolustely depend in runeplaying and observers... but their dwarves are knalga dwarves but worse magical resistances... I kinda feel Cavernei could of need a rework and more visual/stat changes to really feel as something different than being a mirror of knalga.
Thank you. Those sound like interesting ideas!