Saurian sprites

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Talentless

Re: Saurian sprites

Post by Talentless »

I've attached the WIP animations in a recent post, I haven't touched the unit since. I'm the in process of animating units for a pull request to core, but admittedly it's going pretty slow (busy and out of practice). :(
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

Talentless wrote: February 19th, 2023, 5:02 pm I've attached the WIP animations in a recent post, I haven't touched the unit since. I'm the in process of animating units for a pull request to core, but admittedly it's going pretty slow (busy and out of practice). :(
I saw this pull request. I'm looking forward for the new skirmisher advancements.
Your suggestions,
Suggestion.jpg
Suggestion.jpg (7.45 KiB) Viewed 32702 times
event it isn't final, is great.

I'm experimentating with some scale colors. Because I read that Saurians live in inhospitable areas.
Deep Saurians, with darkstone speartip and shield, mushroom stick, fireant chitin armour and darker scales like the old drake sprites.
deep-flanker.png
deep-flanker.png (14.11 KiB) Viewed 32702 times
ambusher.png
ambusher.png (1.28 KiB) Viewed 32702 times
Desert Saurians, maybe change to a more brownish color
experiments.png
experiments.png (11.63 KiB) Viewed 32702 times
Tattooed colored (from Saurian lore)
skirmisher-with-tattoo.png
skirmisher-with-tattoo.png (12.13 KiB) Viewed 32702 times
Talentless

Post by Talentless »

I have a script that allows to quickly recolor saurians, if that's what you'd like to do. Here's a pack with purple (arcane) and red (fire) saurians that I've made as an example. I had this idea of creating a campaign where you have to unite various saurian tribes, but it's not playable yet.
Attachments
skirmisher.png
skirmisher.png (1.64 KiB) Viewed 32690 times
augur.png
augur.png (774 Bytes) Viewed 32690 times
saurian-recolors.zip
(3.8 MiB) Downloaded 124 times
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

Oh thats pretty need. I'm interested in the script. I do that by hand.

I got this Sprite, Artist is SkyOne (I'm not sure about that)
craftsman.png
craftsman.png (1.83 KiB) Viewed 32669 times
I like the model, but I can't used it. For me, it makes no sense, no offense on the original creator.
But maybe with an Subterrean Tribe, it could be usable. I'm still unsure about the eyes.
deep-craftsman.png
deep-craftsman.png (12.07 KiB) Viewed 32669 times
Talentless

Post by Talentless »

The problem with many UMC saurians is that they were created by editing animation frames of the existing sprites while they're in motion. I think these guys were based on the skirmisher's defend frame, and that's why they look off. If you're looking for sprites to animate, I'd suggest taking on ones that were created from scratch or with the idle frame in mind, like Amorphous' Flare for example.
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

The sprite is already animated. The problem I got with the model is the cannon on his back. As I got the lore correctly, the technologie for gunpowder is a secret of the dwarfs.
Sadly, I'm no great graphic artist, I just managed to animate some UMC old sprites with the help of already animated skirmisher or augur sprites.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

The problem I got with the model is the cannon on his back. As I got the lore correctly, the technologie for gunpowder is a secret of the dwarfs.
It is the secret of dwarves, but whose stopping saurians from raiding and snatching a few for themselves and utlising it?
Heck, even kidnap a dwarf, torture him enough with enough curses and he will let them know how to use that mounted thunderstick.

2200th Post yo
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Talentless

Post by Talentless »

Thoughts?
Attachments
bob-se.gif
bob-se.gif (4.44 KiB) Viewed 32461 times
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

Talentless wrote: February 24th, 2023, 5:39 pm Thoughts?
The saurian looks great. Would integrate it in my campaign. I would replace him with my guard/peltast upgrade. It is more a defensive unit with poisonous javelin.

The question would be, what is the intended purpose?

I read in the bfw pr that it should be a defensive type of saurian.
Talentless

Post by Talentless »

New sprite for the current Spearwoman unit that you can find in 1.16 Saurian Pack. Doofus said the sprite has to be redesigned for a chance to make it into the mainline, so that's basically the new look. The goal was to add a more versatile upgrade for the skirmisher tree, so that they can be more useful when a drake player is forced to go down the saurians route. It's mostly based on the Loyalist Javelineer. With the first strike ability and more balanced attacks, it can play a more defensive role. It does sacrifice the skirmisher ability though.

I've noticed that her left arm (holding the weapon) is a bit too thin, but I'll upload the updated frames when I'm done with a bit more animations.
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

That makes sense, thanks for elaboration. I'm not used to read the rp properly.
Yes, her left arm is kinda small.

What about the disengage ability from UtBs? That could be useful for an defensive unit to attack first and then move. I know that disengage isn't a mainline wesnoth ability. It is just a thought.

The spear she is holding, is not the same spear she throws right?
Maybe we could use a similar animation as the merman hunter. Pushing the mainweapon into the ground, then grapping the javelins.
Talentless

Post by Talentless »

Is it a fixed 1 tile movement in the opposite direction of the target after an attack, or the ability to use leftover movement points after an engagement? Either way, it does seem like it could fit a skirmisher upgrade, but I'm a bit worried about adding too much bonuses at once - first strike combined with better stats overall is quite good in the first place.

Yes, she has smaller javelins on the back that she'll throw. I haven't done the ranged animation yet, so thanks for the suggestion in terms of how it can be tackled. Still, I'd probably try to make quite similar to the existing skirmisher animation for consistency and to speed things up.
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

Talentless wrote: March 1st, 2023, 6:28 am Is it a fixed 1 tile movement in the opposite direction of the target after an attack, or the ability to use leftover movement points after an engagement? Either way, it does seem like it could fit a skirmisher upgrade, but I'm a bit worried about adding too much bonuses at once - first strike combined with better stats overall is quite good in the first place.
Using leftover movement points and it is important, that the character did't move before that.
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

I'm considering now to think about a saurian with the feed ability. We now from saurian lore that they are cannibals, if they have to. We also know that saurians got strong jaws to bite, that will help too.

So why not a feeding saurian unit? Something like, if they eat their enemies, they will get their strength, lorewise.

I also got some advancements ideas, maybe a idea with less work overall.
Imagine a saurian who transforms slowly into a drake.
Level 1 unit is a saurian.
Level 2 unit is a saurian/drake mix. Little wings, stronger body.
Level 3 unit is a full grown drake unit.

We could go further level 5 dragon? Haha, that's too much.

What do you guys think about that idea?
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

interesting... however i would expect some special magic ritual to be required to start such a process. drakes and saurians have alot of canonical lore in the wesnothian world and none of it mentions species crosovers or compatibility