My first try

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

cobretti

Post by cobretti »

scott wrote:MP3 is a patented format and they want you to pay to license their encoding technology. I always thought MP3 was free, and on our end it may be. However, for people using MP3 in a product they produce it costs money. OGG is free and better than MIDI I guess. We're all about free around here.

http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp
MIDI -> Partiture-like file. Sound depends on what instruments you use to play them. Unless you are using professional hardware, you get discrete results (like many mobile phones that use them)

OGG/MP3 -> Compressed sound recording. Sound is always the same, unless using very poor/very expensive hardware :D
kakingho

Post by kakingho »

oic...........

but why music in the game is worse than that in Winamp.

Winamp seem professional.

If the music of this game can play like what Winamp can play,
it is good for all of us.
scott

Post by scott »

Again, I don't know the full answer. One issue might be that the game music is of lower quality to save disk space. But if you mean that the same wesnoth .ogg sounds better in Winamp than in the game, then it might be an issue with SDL, the software library that plays music in the game. SDL is far from perfect.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
capitol

Post by capitol »

I don't see any reson to include technology that might open us up to attacks from patent owners. There is a free alternativ that works just as well (ogg) so why include stuff that have the dark cloud of software patents hanging over them.
Industriebrot

Post by Industriebrot »

Finished the mp3 version, and i will send it to capitol today, he will host it.
Thanks a lot.8)

I know, it should be an ogg file, but i can make wavs, which can be easily converted. That shouldn't be a problem.

I think it sounds beautiful, but a little synthetic. I hope you will get it ASAP. :P
egallager

Re: My first try

Post by egallager »

So, I've been messing around with uploading the oggs from the various Wesnoth UMC Music books to the WMG Discord, and the ogg version of this that's currently in UMC Book 06 came out sounding all glitched, so I went and tried re-exporting the original MIDI myself as a new ogg using MuseScore, and it came out sounding a lot better, IMO. I'm attaching my re-exported copy in case that's of use to anyone.
Wesn.ogg
(3.72 MiB) Downloaded 51 times
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: My first try

Post by Pentarctagon »

I've uploaded it.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code