The Reign of the Lords

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Verbatov

Re: The Reign of the Lords

Post by Verbatov »

Verbatov wrote: ↑November 28th, 2023, 6:19 pm
- improvement or removal of the "bone pirate" unit (in its current state it is completely pointless)
May I ask what is wrong with the current Bone Pirate?
What do you think? Who is responsible for the changes now?
I really like these changes. Balance I think is important and something I have not had time for. No one has volunteered to take over so for now I will continue. If you DM me a specific list of the changes you'd like to see (ex: Lich XXX HP reduced -> 125, Damage Melee reduced -> 12x5.) I will implement them over the Christmas holidays. :D
Sorry I'm so late but I didn't have much time. I think all liches can have their attacks reduced by 2. All spear rides that have charges can be slowed by 1 and their attack reduced by 2. The bone pirate is weak compared to the dread hunter. It can be improved or removed for now because it is unprofitable and bland. When it comes to Excetutioner, you can add the first hit on the halberd and an additional ranged attack to make it 2. Adding another level of the unit takes a lot of time, so I understand that you won't be developing units in the near future?

That's it for now. I will gradually add what can be improved.
Thank you and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :D :D :D
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Bug fix for 1.17
Thank you newfrenchy83 for patching fixing the deprecated "special= has been deprecated and may be removed at any time". 8)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Verbatov wrote: December 25th, 2023, 6:51 pm Sorry I'm so late but I didn't have much time. I think all liches can have their attacks reduced by 2. All spear rides that have charges can be slowed by 1 and their attack reduced by 2. The bone pirate is weak compared to the dread hunter. It can be improved or removed for now because it is unprofitable and bland. When it comes to Excetutioner, you can add the first hit on the halberd and an additional ranged attack to make it 2. Adding another level of the unit takes a lot of time, so I understand that you won't be developing units in the near future?
No worries at all Verbatov.

So changes would be:

Charge units:
- Elephant Cataphract (15-3 > 14-3, 10mp -> 9mp) NOTE: Cataphract has Greater Charger weapon special instead of normal hence no dmg increase
- Jouster (15-3 > 14-3, 10mp -> 9mp) NOTE: for jouster and cataphract this would mean they lose MP as they advance (as lancer has 10mp) is this good?
- Apocalypse Rider (22-2 > 21-2) NOTE: MP is already only 7 should it be reduced to 6?
- Equestrian Supreme (non-campaign unit, 25-2 > 24-2) NOTE: MP is already only 7 should it be reduced to 6?
- Dragon Rider (22-2 > 21-2, 9mp -> 8mp)
- Light Rider (17-2 > 16-2, 9mp -> 8mp)
- Arcane Rider (16-2 > 15-2, 8mp -> 7mp?) NOTE: if we reduce dmg to 15 and movement to 7 this unit will just be a downgrade on the Paladin which does 15-2 and has 8mp. To be honest I think if anything, the issue may be the lvl 3 units are too power? Let me know your thoughts.
- Grand Horsemarshal/Equestrian Supreme (Campaign units, 15-3 > 14-3 dmg)

Skeletons:
- The issue with the liches is that the Ancient Lich (base game unit) is too powerful with its 12-5, 12-3 attacks. Would you like me to nerf the lvl 4 ancient lich to 10-5, 10-3)
- Dread Lich, the fact this unit has slows on its ranged attack is a bit broken. I could give it a weaker ranged attack with slows and then increase damage of its primary to 12-4?
- Bone Pirate. I was shooting for a mixed melee-ranged unit, but if it isnt good enough happy to buff it. Or if its too boring could look at adding a third attack or some special ability such as skirmish. Perhaps it could have a single-shot ranged attack like the Dwarvish Thunderer?

TBC

Alternatively for the above units Greater Charge could be removed, as it is a large multiplier.

Here is a link for all unit trees: https://units.wesnoth.org/1.16/Reign_of ... eroes.html
Verbatov

Post by Verbatov »

The_Gnat wrote: January 5th, 2024, 8:03 pm
Verbatov wrote: December 25th, 2023, 6:51 pm Sorry I'm so late but I didn't have much time. I think all liches can have their attacks reduced by 2. All spear rides that have charges can be slowed by 1 and their attack reduced by 2. The bone pirate is weak compared to the dread hunter. It can be improved or removed for now because it is unprofitable and bland. When it comes to Excetutioner, you can add the first hit on the halberd and an additional ranged attack to make it 2. Adding another level of the unit takes a lot of time, so I understand that you won't be developing units in the near future?
No worries at all Verbatov.

So changes would be:

Charge units:
- Elephant Cataphract (15-3 > 14-3, 10mp -> 9mp) NOTE: Cataphract has Greater Charger weapon special instead of normal hence no dmg increase
- Jouster (15-3 > 14-3, 10mp -> 9mp) NOTE: for jouster and cataphract this would mean they lose MP as they advance (as lancer has 10mp) is this good?
- Apocalypse Rider (22-2 > 21-2) NOTE: MP is already only 7 should it be reduced to 6?
- Equestrian Supreme (non-campaign unit, 25-2 > 24-2) NOTE: MP is already only 7 should it be reduced to 6?
- Dragon Rider (22-2 > 21-2, 9mp -> 8mp)
- Light Rider (17-2 > 16-2, 9mp -> 8mp)
- Arcane Rider (16-2 > 15-2, 8mp -> 7mp?) NOTE: if we reduce dmg to 15 and movement to 7 this unit will just be a downgrade on the Paladin which does 15-2 and has 8mp. To be honest I think if anything, the issue may be the lvl 3 units are too power? Let me know your thoughts.
- Grand Horsemarshal/Equestrian Supreme (Campaign units, 15-3 > 14-3 dmg)

Skeletons:
- The issue with the liches is that the Ancient Lich (base game unit) is too powerful with its 12-5, 12-3 attacks. Would you like me to nerf the lvl 4 ancient lich to 10-5, 10-3)
- Dread Lich, the fact this unit has slows on its ranged attack is a bit broken. I could give it a weaker ranged attack with slows and then increase damage of its primary to 12-4?
- Bone Pirate. I was shooting for a mixed melee-ranged unit, but if it isnt good enough happy to buff it. Or if its too boring could look at adding a third attack or some special ability such as skirmish. Perhaps it could have a single-shot ranged attack like the Dwarvish Thunderer?

TBC

Alternatively for the above units Greater Charge could be removed, as it is a large multiplier.

Here is a link for all unit trees: https://units.wesnoth.org/1.16/Reign_of ... eroes.html
To balance the speed, when it comes to the rider (level 1) who has 8 MP, we can reduce the MP to 7 and each subsequent level increase the speed by 1, i.e. lancer 8 MP, jouster 9 MP, cataphract 10 MP.
I think that slow units such as Apocalypse Rider, Equestrian Supreme, Dragon Rider, Light Rider, Arcane Rider should not reduce their speed.

When it comes to charging, do not touch the first levels because the rider only has 9x2. But the Lancer is already 12x3, it's a big leap, I think it can easily be done in 10x3. Jouster 12x3. Cataphract 14x3.

As for the lich, you can weaken it from the beginning, i.e. the first lich level 3: touch 5x3, chill tempest 9x3, shadow wave 6x3.
Dread Lich: Must be slightly better than Ancient Lich but worse than Eternal Lich. I think you can leave it, the slow attack isn't broken in my opinion.
Ancient lich: touch 6x3, chill tempest 9x4, shadow wave 6x4.
Eternal Lich: touch 7x4, chill tempest 10x5, shadow wave 7x5.

For me, the bone pirate is a strange unit from the very beginning. Maybe convert it completely into some other unit and give up the pirate in favor of a warrior?

You could still improve this Executioner as I wrote.

From what I understand, during a great charge, the opponent counterattacks and deals only 50% damage, not 100% doubled as in the case of a regular charge, right?

Of course, later I will look at other units to see if they balance after weakening these units. It will be quite a long process, but not all at once. I will gradually add any changes you could make. It would be nice if you had time to develop some development paths that stopped at level 3 or 4.

What do you think about it?
newfrenchy83
Code Contributor

Post by newfrenchy83 »

Reign_of_the_Lords.zip
quenoth Youth updated
(549.46 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Qenoth Youth updated, same advancements what in 1.17 with adjustement for level 4
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Verbatov wrote: January 12th, 2024, 5:23 pm What do you think about it?
These ideas all sound good! Back at work now but will try and find some free time and update this and newfrenchy's update soon! :D

Only concern I have is if we nerf the mainline units (ex. Lancer and Lich level 3) than if you advance from a mainline unit to a RoTL unit will it feel too nerfed?
Verbatov

Post by Verbatov »

The_Gnat wrote: January 24th, 2024, 10:10 am
Verbatov wrote: January 12th, 2024, 5:23 pm What do you think about it?
These ideas all sound good! Back at work now but will try and find some free time and update this and newfrenchy's update soon! :D

Only concern I have is if we nerf the mainline units (ex. Lancer and Lich level 3) than if you advance from a mainline unit to a RoTL unit will it feel too nerfed?
These are just suggestions. If you have an idea that something could be done better, do it. I will test this solution and let you know if it is ok :)
newfrenchy83
Code Contributor

Post by newfrenchy83 »

Reign_of_the_Lords.zip
last update of Rol
quenoth Youth updated, level 4 updated with increase of hitpoints and attacks damage
(549.51 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
The last update of Reign of the Lord with last modification of Quenoth Youth in 1.17 branch implemented
newfrenchy83
Code Contributor

Post by newfrenchy83 »

Reign_of_the_Lords.zip
The last update of Reign of the Lord with last modification of Quenoth Youth in 1.17 branch implemented
(549.67 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Verbatov wrote: January 31st, 2024, 11:33 pm These are just suggestions. If you have an idea that something could be done better, do it. I will test this solution and let you know if it is ok :)
I think they are good suggestions! :D I will try and make them over the next few weeks and then publish a balance fix. I just need to find my password to push updates to 1.14 ;)
Verbatov

Post by Verbatov »

The_Gnat wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 9:25 pm
Verbatov wrote: January 31st, 2024, 11:33 pm These are just suggestions. If you have an idea that something could be done better, do it. I will test this solution and let you know if it is ok :)
I think they are good suggestions! :D I will try and make them over the next few weeks and then publish a balance fix. I just need to find my password to push updates to 1.14 ;)
Cool! So we are waiting for changes :)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

- Quenoth Youth has been updated to have the new 1.17 AMLA advancement tree alongside the ROTL additional options. :D Thanks to newfrency83 for their help with this!
Clipboard_02-05-2024_01.jpg
newfrenchy83
Code Contributor

Post by newfrenchy83 »

i understand what if quenoth Youth pass to level 4 without chooseROL QUENOTH ADVANCE1.17, then if couldn't choose that anymore.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

newfrenchy83 wrote: February 5th, 2024, 5:06 pm i understand what if quenoth Youth pass to level 4 without chooseROL QUENOTH ADVANCE1.17, then if couldn't choose that anymore.
I actually did that on purpose. But it maybe is bad idea? The thought I had was the player has to choose to do the mainline advancement options OR the new advancement options but can't do both.

Do you think I should let them do both? (or just give a better information so they know they can't choose both?)
newfrenchy83
Code Contributor

Post by newfrenchy83 »

give a better information so they know what they can't choose both then