The Map Editor for OS X.

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

penguin
macOS Packager

The Map Editor for OS X.

Post by penguin »

With Sithrandel's help, I have made a build of the Wesnoth Map Editor, which is now available on SourceForge here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wesn ... g?download

I'm not completely sure, but it should work on 10.2 as well as 10.3.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Thanks! I'm looking forward to using it.
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Cool :) It would be nice if someone could tell me if it does work on 10.2, so I know if my modification/inclusion of iconv really worked. I think it did, but maybe something more has to be done for it to work on 10.2.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I'm using 10.3.7, so I can't say for 10.2.

It's much better than Sithrandel's older map editor. I love that it shows you the transitions of the tiles so you can really see how it would look in-game. And I love that it displays the coordinates of hexes. That is really useful because now when i am writing moveto WML events I don't have to keep opening Wesnoth just to see what the coordinates of a certain hex are. (I know I could manually count characters on the ASCII map, but that's a pain) Flood (or fill) is really useful (I used to have to export the map, open it with a text editor and find/change all the letters to the terrain I wanted). And I love the ability to flip a map and copy/paste sections of a map.

Remind me, how do you select a section of the map to copy it? I see how to select all. But I'm not sure how to cut/copy sections of the map.

Overall it has many of the features of a paint program, and is a huge improvement. It makes it so much eaiser to draw a map quickly and easily and see instantly what it will look like in-game. Not to demean any of sithrandel work, his campaign editor was a lot better than nothing, but CP, you have done mac campaign developers a huge service. Thanks!
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Yeah, I thought erl and whoever else who made it did a good job :) They did have the advantage of it being part of the same project though - using the same sources for the map and all, so when the transitions and stuff change, it automatically changes in the editor. I don't know how Sithrandel made his editor though, or how much of the code he copied from the game, if any.

I really don't know - I'm not a map maker. I just made this because a few people requested it and I figured it was something I could do for Wesnoth :)

I couldn't have done it without the help of Sithrandel, and the #macdev channel :) By the way, the help I got in #macdev may make it so Sithrandel's builds can work on 10.2 without getting iconv (They told me how to modify iconv so it could be included in a program.) So, hopefully it really does work on 10.2.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Thanks!
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Attila

damn

Post by Attila »

I'm running OS 10.3 and I copied both the editor and the copy_data.pl, and then ran the copy_data.pl. But every time I try opening the editor it quits immeditly
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

OK, I've had an opportunity to test out the newly functional map editor, and it's definitely impressive. The ability to see transitions and terrain variations is particularly helpful - maybe someday I'll actually whip up a campaign of my own. Well done Penguin! And thanks Sithrandel, too.

Unfortunately, there are major glitches in the save dialog, at least on my system (10.3.7). The graphical glitches I can live with; unfortunately there seems to be some memory leak or CPU trap as well which can come into play when moving from folder to folder.

When moving from ~/Games/ on my system to ~/Games/Wesnoth 0.8.10/, the editor took a full five minutes to figure it out and show the new location in the save dialog box.

I'm not sure what causes this glitch, but it would be nice if a programmer could isolate it and kill it.

Again - thanks for getting the editor up and running!
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Becuase my computer is a bit slower (400MHz G3) the only problem with the editor is that I pay a cost for the beautiful automatic transitions. Every hex I paint takes 3 seconds to draw the transitions. That means I click, wait, click, wait, click, wait, read 100 times. The maps are beautiful but is a bit slower than I'd like. In a perfect world I'd love an perferences option where it doesn't draw the transitions. I'm not complaining becuase it's a beautiful versitile editor, but it is a bit slow on older machines.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

If you click and drag, the transitions will only update after you release the mouse-button. Just a tip in case you missed it.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Sangel wrote:If you click and drag, the transitions will only update after you release the mouse-button. Just a tip in case you missed it.
Thanks, I didn't realize that. Because drawing a tunnel a fifty hexes long was taking a while. This will make it a lot easier to paint adjacent tiles of the same type much quicker.
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Attilla: You say it quits right away - does it open a window and then quit, or does it not even start? Also, if you changed the name of either programs (the editor or the game), copy_data.pl won't work. You can of course copy it yourself, by ctrl+clicking on each program, Show package contents, go to Resources in each, and copy data, images and fonts from the game to the editor.

Sangel: I noticed that too. I reported the glitch one, the other one seemed kinda random and I figured maybe when someone fixed the graphics part they'd fix the other one too... Ok, the real reason I didn't report it is I was too lazy - you can though :) To get around that though, you can just type in the path. It does kinda spoil the point of having a dialog like that, but, it does work. I think erl is too busy at the moment to work on the editor :?
Attila

Post by Attila »

niether of the programs were renamed, but I was using 8.9 so that might be the problem

Edit: I downloaded 8.10 and it works great
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Ok, great :) I actually built it from cvs slightly more recent than 0.8.10, but I figured it'd be ok since it wasn't much newer, the editor hasn't changed for a long time, and, it doesn't matter so much for the editor anyway. But I didn't test it with old data.
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

while this is (relatively) on topic, the map editor that comes with Wesnoth 8.7 doesn't work on my mac x. Anybody know why?