Winds of Fate

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: Winds of Fate

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Antro wrote: November 5th, 2023, 9:05 pm P.S: AFAIK, ancient latin should be "draco". There was a discussion between italian translators if use this one, but we choose to stay with "drago"
The word "draco" didn't originally mean a dragon, especially not one like the modern conception of a Western dragon. It comes originally from Greek, where it referred to a large snake such as a python. In Ancient Latin it still retained that meaning, so I wouldn't consider it a good translation for "drake" or "dragon" if translating to Ancient Latin. The word did shift over time though, so it's probably appropriate if translating to Vulgar or Ecclesiastical Latin.

It's also true though that you likely won't really find an appropriate word for "dragon" in Ancient Latin. If I were doing it I'd probably use "draco" as a base and add an adjective or (if that exists in Latin) an augmentative to adjust the meaning.
name wrote: November 5th, 2023, 7:54 pm Hmm, I suppose we might do the same thing for all drake units that is currently done for most naga units: gender=male,femaie Do you see any problems with how the Naga Fighter was translated into Italian?
The code gender=male,female means that recruited units will have their gender randomized. While it's fine to do that, I'm pretty sure it won't solve the translation problem. For that I think all that's needed is female_name=_"female^Drake"? The only thing I'm not quite sure of is, does setting gender=female on a unit that has no female variation and no gender=male,female actually set the gender to female, or is it ignored on the grounds that the unit doesn't support a female gender?
name wrote: November 5th, 2023, 7:54 pm Would Classical Latin drake unit names look and sound any good to a (modern) Italian audience? Or just really strange?
This seems like a terrible idea to me…
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
name

Post by name »

Antro wrote: November 5th, 2023, 9:05 pm For italian, manage with the "naga approach" (or saurian) is fine.
I can try this approach first and see if it does not spark a controversy or technical limitation of some kind.
Antro wrote: November 5th, 2023, 9:05 pm We could change,, of course, but it will involve a full review of almost all campaigns and I'm not so sure the italian community will be ... happy.
I believe I can give you exact details of each place where drakes are mentioned in the campaigns, since drakes make so few appearances. Would that help much?

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: November 5th, 2023, 10:44 pm If I were doing it I'd probably use "draco" as a base and add an adjective or (if that exists in Latin) an augmentative to adjust the meaning.
The project's Latin translation team chose "Draculus" (which I think means "little dragon" or "dragonlet").
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: November 5th, 2023, 10:44 pm For that I think all that's needed is female_name=_"female^Drake"?
This is the syntax currently used by the naga units:

Code: Select all

[female]
    name= _ "Nagini Fighter"
    gender=female
[/female]
Is it out of date? There is a bug where the naga sprite appears duplicated, side by side, in the help. I believe it is trying to show the sprite for each gender but since they both use the same sprite, it just shows this one sprite twice.
Antro
Translator

Post by Antro »

name wrote: November 7th, 2023, 1:46 am
Antro wrote: November 5th, 2023, 9:05 pm We could change,, of course, but it will involve a full review of almost all campaigns and I'm not so sure the italian community will be ... happy.
I believe I can give you exact details of each place where drakes are mentioned in the campaigns, since drakes make so few appearances. Would that help much?
Frankly speaking, "drake" has no meaning in Italian, and, to be purist, italian alphabet has no K,J,W,X,Y letters...
I'm quite confident that "drago" is the most correct and accepted translation. If we could have the unit names with female transcription, I'll transate, otherwise, we'll play with she-drakes with male ranks. We could also use the approach that in drake army there is no distinction between male and female, so the ranks are the same for all the units.

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: November 5th, 2023, 10:44 pm For that I think all that's needed is female_name=_"female^Drake"?
Not only for Drake, but also for unit names
female^Drake Arbiter
female^Armageddon Drake
Burner
Clasher
Enforcer
:
:
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: November 5th, 2023, 10:44 pm If I were doing it I'd probably use "draco" as a base and add an adjective or (if that exists in Latin) an augmentative to adjust the meaning.
The project's Latin translation team chose "Draculus" (which I think means "little dragon" or "dragonlet").
Yeah… applying a diminutive makes sense for "drake".
This is the syntax currently used by the naga units:

Code: Select all

[female]
    name= _ "Nagini Fighter"
    gender=female
[/female]
Is it out of date? There is a bug where the naga sprite appears duplicated, side by side, in the help. I believe it is trying to show the sprite for each gender but since they both use the same sprite, it just shows this one sprite twice.
Hmm, but doesn't that make random recruits also be potentially female? Or is that the goal anyway? The translation issue doesn't necessarily require allowing recruits to be female.

Oh, and you do need female_name as well, but that goes in the race definition.
qubodup

Post by qubodup »

name wrote: October 18th, 2023, 4:01 pm
qubodup wrote: October 17th, 2023, 3:28 pm What does "of the far side" mean here? Simply "far away" or "on the enemy side" (a spy)?
A bit of both... the "faerie world" is a transcendental realm like the "land of the dead" in Delfador's Memoirs. At some point in the past, the faerie world split into two sides, with each having a will of its own to some extent

Its "near side" is a beautiful and perplexing "dreamscape" which normally has the most influence over "faerie creatures" like elves, woses, forest spirits, wisps and others. So from the perspective of these creatures it is "nearer" to them.

Whereas its nightmarish far side is intentionally obscured by the near side so that its influence is usually weaker. But in the case of the ambitious elf who wrote this journal, she managed to overcome this barrier and greatly strengthen her connection to the far side of the faerie world.
Thank you, name, that helped me finalizing the relevant translations.
name

Post by name »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: November 7th, 2023, 6:48 pm Hmm, but doesn't that make random recruits also be potentially female? Or is that the goal anyway? The translation issue doesn't necessarily require allowing recruits to be female.
My guess is recruit gender randomization would still need gender=male,female in order to work. Which is not really the goal but it can be a goal.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: November 7th, 2023, 6:48 pm Oh, and you do need female_name as well, but that goes in the race definition.
I think that already exists? Interestingly, there is also a name list and a name generator specifically for female drakes.
qubodup wrote: November 10th, 2023, 2:51 pm Thank you, name, that helped me finalizing the relevant translations.
No problem, and thank you for helping us with the translations.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

name wrote: November 10th, 2023, 6:10 pm
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: November 7th, 2023, 6:48 pm Hmm, but doesn't that make random recruits also be potentially female? Or is that the goal anyway? The translation issue doesn't necessarily require allowing recruits to be female.
My guess is recruit gender randomization would still need gender=male,female in order to work. Which is not really the goal but it can be a goal.
I'm pretty sure that's the key that enables recruit gender randomization. My point is that we can skip probably define a female variation but not enable recruit randomization if we want. I'm just not 100% sure it works.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

I'm puzzled by Karron's part in the epilogue.
Spoiler: