Server stability?

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Server stability?

Post by Dave »

Could users please give me feedback on how stable the multiplayer server has been for the last week or so?

I have been testing a new code base, and while it looks very stable to me, I want to hear it from users themselves. :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
ShrinK

Post by ShrinK »

I tried getting on this morning around 5:30 A.m and couldn't, eastern time..
Big Bad Joe

Post by Big Bad Joe »

It is as bad as it was ever - at least for me.
Just bored..
Hieronymus

Post by Hieronymus »

I have had no problems yet this week, while I could not get in some times in the last few weeks.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

last times i dont have any prolems with MP serv :D
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Big Bad Joe wrote:It is as bad as it was ever - at least for me.
Okay. What specific problems do you have? Do you have trouble connecting to the server? If so, what error message or what specifically happens when you try to connect?

Does the server disconnect you sometimes? Does it say you are disconnected, or does it simply stop responding?

Do you experience out of sync bugs?

Basically I need to know very specifically what the problems are to be able to fix them, because personally the server has worked flawlessly for me -- I am able to connect every time, and don't get booted, though I have only occasionally played a full game there. And this isn't because the server is co-located with me -- it's hosted an ocean away from where I am.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Big Bad Joe

Post by Big Bad Joe »

I will be very happy to tell you my sad story,
so I am using Win Pro...
I am experiencing nearly all type of things you have mentioned above..
1) Sometimes I am just waiting for oponent to end turn, but he is waiting for me to do the same, we are still in my turn from his point of view - OUT OF SYNC??
2) Regularly - DISCONNECTION FROM SERVER OCCURED and I am back in the main menu of the game, without a chance to get back with the same nick, so I change my nick, come back as observer - see the whole replay and play till the next disconnect. Or in the worse case - the disconnection is reported in the replay too as OUT OF SYNC ERROR and I am not even able to excuse myself, cause I do not get to the same turn as oponent. Today, after my rejoining, server somehow chose a turn 7 as turn for me and turn 4 for my opo.
3) Connecting to the MP server is without problem, but I am experiencing problems with campaign one - sometimes waiting 5 minutes for getting there in the waiting for response - sometimes connection times out , Staying on the MP server is much harder than getting there because I am experiencing out of sync, or not reported disconnectios even in the lodge - so I am responding to players that are not there anymore and nobody, i presume, is able to see my painful writings there like " Am I Here please?" :)). I hope that nobody is so cruel to let these cries be without saying "yes" at least :)).
I add my todays really great 20 out of sync error replay..
Thanks really for even trying to improve it, but it can be just my con :(( ..
Attachments
saves.zip
(31.15 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
Just bored..
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

I'm not able to connect online for about one week :( All the time connection timed out... I don't know what is wrong :/ All other sites/torrents/servers work fine...
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Big Bad Joe

Post by Big Bad Joe »

I was quite surprised to not see you in MP... Hope it will get better..
Just bored..
DoT

Post by DoT »

I'm having trouble getting on.. as of 2:24 PM eastern time... "connection time out"
And who's to care
If I grow my hair to the sky
I'll take a wish and a prayer
Cross my fingers
Cause I always get by
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

I get random connection timed out errors, but mostly I get in easily.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

I can usually get on; even though I usually prefer the AI(until my skills significantly improve!)
Sorry for the meaningless post
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

romnajin wrote:I can usually get on; even though I usually prefer the AI(until my skills significantly improve!)
I improved mine a lot with multiplayer against other humans...
Dr Cyp

Post by Dr Cyp »

I can't connecting today, i receive this message : "Could not connect to host"
I have the 0.8.11 version
Darkmoon

Post by Darkmoon »

Lately,... tho it might have been fault of my putor, I had problems with server disconnecting games when I was hosting. What was bad about it, is that game was listed for a long time afterwords, and I could not log in with my usual nickname.