My first MP map!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

romnajin

My first MP map!

Post by romnajin »

I hope you enjoy my first MP map for BfW! The idea is, each player starts on a small island with few villages, there is a 5 hex or so bridge leading to a main island highly plentiful in villages, running down the center of the main island is a large mountain range with one path through it. It is a fairly small map for 2 players. It might be unbalancing if mermen are used, and it could possibly be used with scott's high seas, but there are few villages in the water. Village gold should be set to only 1, because villages are quite plentiful on this map, and if they were set to two, each player could easily get upwards of 200 gold early on! Hope you enjoy, and realize that this is my first map! Thanks! Just remove the .txt, and it should work.
Attachments
islands.txt
(1.6 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
Last edited by romnajin on March 26th, 2005, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for the meaningless post
aelius

Post by aelius »

Files must have a certain extension to be uploaded. Tack a .txt onto the end and you're fine. Zipping or tarballing it also work. I will refrain from ranting about how the decision to put the file type metadata in the same string as the file name metadata is one of the most foolish in the history of computing.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
psyklops

Feedback

Post by psyklops »

The middle island looks like it would make for a nice fight. There is a hint of inbalance in the large clumps, but I think it may be fair enough, since the clumps only influence 1-2 villages apiece, and no village is totally enclosed in a single terrain. Decently balanced and its not symmetrical, more maps need to be like this (very difficult to prove balance without symmetry). There is a lot more forest to the south/east than there is for the other keep, this might be a bad thing, might not, it applies both on attack and defense. Biggest problem I can see is the keep islands. After the battle on the large island is won, assaulting the keep would be difficult for most factions (water units and drakes may have the easiest time) so it becomes a war of attrition with the defender taking positions of high defense in the villages, forest, and keep, and the attacker standing in sand or water. This should lead the defender to push back when the attacker has weakened himself on the defenses, then the battle could start all over again. I haven't actually played it to test, but I imagine this is how it would go. Pros outweigh the cons, good map.

Edit: I've tested. The water villages have a little too much influence on the game. Cut a couple of them out on the right side, water units have enough power just by being able to surprise attack the enemy leader or block the bridge. I've confirmed my prediction, indeed it is very difficult to cross the bridge and finish your enemy after you've won mainland fight, especially if you don't have water units (or he does). The mountain range in the middle forms a wall when knalgans are playing, perhaps break it up a little. The map played great as is, but was unbalanced a little.