The Ulfserker.

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

The Ulfserker.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I've been getting Knalgans a lot recently (I almost always pick random factions) and I've been trying out the 'Outlaws/'serker' strategy. It's similar to the Thugs and Ulfsekers that someone else was saying were great against Undead, but I also get a Poacher and a Thief.

It's an extremely powerful strategy. You can use perfectly normal strategy to fight, but if anything gets in your way --- or if your enemies are Mages --- then you bring in an Ulfserker to nuke them.

It's not like it's not a guaranteed kill either. Either you win, or you lose and bring in another Ulfserker.

The advantages of breaking enemy ranks fully outweigh the disadvantages of spending 18 gold to the enemy's ~15. What's more, if the 'serker meets an opposing unit in a one-on-one encounter, it's very likely to win, and then it can just heal up in a village and go on to kill more.

Since advocating the complete removal of Ulfserkers at this point would likely be ineffectual, I'll propose a more normal balancing change:

Increase the Ulfserker's cost to 22 gold.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Big Bad Joe

Post by Big Bad Joe »

I really do not understand, why to change it.. Ulf is powerful as it is, but not extremely overpowered. Why do you want to tone down Knalgs at all?? They are underpowered, or do you change your opinion?
Just bored..
Manson

Post by Manson »

Big Bad Joe they arn't' toning down knaglans they are making them better.. and in my opinion they are a great faction.

Elvish Pillager try theives and ulfserkers vs rebels. It is really hard to beat for the rebels (i know that woses could counter this but woses are expensive and easily avoided).

(my first post how'd i do?)
._.
Elvish_Pillager

Big Bad Joe wrote:I really do not understand, why to change it.. Ulf is powerful as it is, but not extremely overpowered.
That's an opinion, and one I disagree with. My reason for wanting to tone it down is because I think it is extremely overpowered; you can't just categorically state that they're not and use that as a reason that they shouldn't be.
Big Bad Joe wrote:Why do you want to tone down Knalgs at all?? They are underpowered, or do you change your opinion?
They are, but just one really overpowered unit can ruin the whole faction. Their weakness is not gone, only hidden behind their too-great strength.

In any case, the Fighter will have more HP and the Thunderer way more melee damage in the next version, which will help my other concern quite a bit.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Well other than bad grammer and a spelling/typo mistake, not bad but back on topic.

Knalgans still need a lot, i thought Shadow's ideas/graphics were great but the devs don't agree.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Elvish_Pillager

Disto wrote:Knalgans still need a lot, i thought Shadow's ideas/graphics were great but the devs don't agree.
Too many 'special' units is a bad thing. I think giving fire damage to the Thunderer would, at this point, suffice to make the Knalgans a decently powerful faction.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Ulferkers rule.
One of my favorite units along with some high level elvish archers.
Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

Disto wrote:Well other than bad grammer and a spelling/typo mistake, not bad but back on topic.
*cough*

That's grammar Mr Spelling Mistakes...

;]
Bear, as in Fozzy,Bare, as in Arms,Beer, as in Free.
Distro | Browser
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I think that Ulfserkers should have their resistances removed, so that they suffer more damage than other dwarves. They are practically naked, after all.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Darkmoon

Post by Darkmoon »

Sangel wrote:I think that Ulfserkers should have their resistances removed, so that they suffer more damage than other dwarves. They are practically naked, after all.
I dont think so... they already have decreased def compared to other dwarves... they are easier to hit on most terrains than,.. for example.... FIghter or Thunderer.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

I think ulf from 8.11 is a "don't touch that" type of unit (read: let it stay as he is now). Berserk ability is VERY powerful (like many people said befor it is probably best lvl1 special unit in game), but weak def and ulf at def (!!) makes him les powerful.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Elvish_Pillager

Dragonking wrote:I think ulf from 8.11 is a "don't touch that" type of unit
Where did you get this belief? It seems very biased and unbalancing.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Dragonking wrote:I think ulf from 8.11 is a "don't touch that" type of unit
Where did you get this belief? It seems very biased and unbalancing.
I get this belief on MP. You seems to be rare guest there...
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Elvish_Pillager

Dragonking wrote:I get this belief on MP. You seems to be rare guest there...
:irritated: I've been on almost every day for the last week. I was on almost every other day before that. I am not such a rare guest.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Dragonking wrote:I get this belief on MP. You seems to be rare guest there...
:irritated: I've been on almost every day for the last week. I was on almost every other day before that. I am not such a rare guest.
If so - then sorry. I'm not able to play more on MP now (and it makes me feel really bad). I have my beliefs and opinions after houndrets of MP games, and in Developers Discussion forum you should find all about what I think about ulfserker (Some balancing changes topic).
I think you can talk about this with other good MP players online (list of them was mentioned in the same topic) and play with them to check yours beliefs/theories.