Translations

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

skovbaer

Translations

Post by skovbaer »

Does all the text from Wesnoth come in txt files in the game tarball?
'Cause I was thinking about doing some Danish translations,
if I have the time for it...
- dk_skovbaer -
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

See the thread at http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... ic.php?t=6 for details on how to internationalize (but get the latest version, not the version quoted in that thread).

Any version in any other language would be welcome. In short answer to your question, a translation may be made by making a single text file, danish.cfg

David
lohari

Post by lohari »

Any version in any other language would be welcome. In short answer to your question, a translation may be made by making a single text file, danish.cfg
I tried to do a file called finnish.cfg and included it in game.cfg (or what the main config-file was called), but that didn't work at all... should the main config-file contain both english and translated cfgs? or should the english.cfg be replaced by the translation-file? (when I tried it, main-file contained both)

Are there any clearer instructions for the translating (like "translating wesnoth --- for dummies)? :wink: (I did read the Internationalization-thread, but that helped only a little)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

At the current time, you'll have to edit game.cpp and where it says "English" (it says it in one location) change it to whatever language you translated into (according to the name= in your translation.cfg file), and recompile.

I'm going to do a system that allows you to switch languages from the title screen, and tries to load the language of your current locale by default, though.

EDIT: oh, and with the next version, I'll try to do a 'sample_translation.cfg' which will be a complete 'translation' in English, that'll let people just go through the one file changing strings to translate everything (including dialogs etc)

David