The Dark Master Project

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

white_haired_uncle

Re: The Dark Master Project

Post by white_haired_uncle »

hermestrismi wrote: December 5th, 2023, 8:54 pm It is in the middle because I ranked it 100 so the player will encounter it first when he scroll
If they are anything like me, they'll miss it completely unless they know about it and are searching for it. When I play UMC, I immediately skip down past all the mainline stuff.

Okay, a couple parts in, time for some comments. Generally, I think the items, abilities, and new unit types are pretty cool, and yet largely disappointing. Disappointing? For the first few/several scenarios, I couldn't pick up any items, and those I could I didn't want (+%5 pierce resistance for -5HP, no way!). And the abilities (which I think you describe with the verb "bring", when I suspect you mean "charm", "befriend", or something like that, not sure because) I've yet to have a chance to use one. For awhile I wondered if these things did anything. I would suggest maybe having only a few items/abilities available at first, (mostly) ones that can be used by the available units and on available monsters (if I understand/guess correctly). BTW, these are the kind of things I'd like to see in the tutorial if you don't think that would give away too much.

If you don't plan to let the AI pick up items, it'd be nice if the player could smash the ones he doesn't want. I'm finding often an item I don't want or can't use will be on a tile I use a lot (a village is a good example), so every time I move there I have to click through.

I'm playing on normal, and the difficulty is about right until the last few scenarios of part 2, some of which are just suicidal.

Whait > Wait OR What - not sure
Unfourtenatly, > Unfortunately,
Than what are you > Then what...
assumbling > assembling (probably)
avenge their lose > loss
proced > proceed
vurnurable > vulnerable
settelments > settlements
forgetten > forgotten
If you're going to capitalize Elves and Dwarfs/Dwarves, etc, do it for all races, every time. I don't see any reason to capitalize any of them, but lots of people do, unfortunately very rarely with any consistency.
Sovereins > Sovereigns

Shithen might not be a great race name. If nothing else, Schithen might be a better choice. It's an English thing, Shithen is rather close to another word which is a curse.

Are units supposed to not heal when recalled? Not sure if this happens on every scenario, but more than a few.

survive01 Move WHOM to the bottom? And what PART of the bottom?

survive02 Malri decided they should... Um, thought he was left behind at the end of surv01? Note: I see references to Malri in more than one scenario start.

error config: Config contains invalid attribute name 'deep water', skipping...
error config: Config contains invalid attribute name 'shallow water', skipping..

I got a message that a goblin paid like 30 gold to get +2 ranged damage. Seemed to take the gold, but got no damage (all goblins have 2 ranged damage). Also saw a troll whelp pay 20(?) for +2 ranged damage - ranged? I think these might all be broke for the AI.

Units with gear really need some sort of icon so I can easily identify them. In the beginning, they're mostly low level (die easy). In LotI, I just don't give
items to units until they're experienced enough that I can keep them alive, but here I can't store items, I have to either take them or leave them. The same might apply to some of the other custom abilities they get (so far, I'm not sure if those apply to only one unit or to the team).
Spoiler:
Interesting, at least in the last scenario of Survive, you can move units on the same turn you recruit them.

Speaking of the last scenario, a quick unit came running in out of the fog on turn 3 and I lost. I don't have enough units to cover every entrance against 39 enemies. And even if they were all at least L1 so I could use ZoC, as soon as I lose one it's game over. No thanks, I'll just cheat.

I'm now in the second part (expedition?). The save games are still named survive.

The Crossing: Objectives say cross the river to the south edge, not move to the top of the map.

In at least two scenarios in part 2, Rodd starts the first turn with no movement.

Being lazy, I would change this

Code: Select all

[gold_carryover]
                carryover_percentage=20
            [/gold_carryover]
            {AI_CONTROLLER_NOTE}
            note={EARLY_FINISH_BONUS_FOOTNOTE}
to this

[gold_carryover]
                carryover_percentage=20
                bonus=yes
            [/gold_carryover]
            {AI_CONTROLLER_NOTE}
Looks better, too, IMO.

It looks like the "geared" menu shows the unit type when the unit picked up an item. I have a unit with multiple items, and he shows up once as a knight and a
couple other times as a paladin. He's also carrying two lighter pilums, which makes him a complete monster (38x8 + charge), but it's not very realistic.

Unwanted Guest: This is a bad joke, right?

Meaning of Friendship: Rodd had a decent army, now he just has one recall?
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Since I didn't get much feedback, I did except a long list of comments and notes. I am surprised that the list contains only this. I will work on them one by one.
white_haired_uncle wrote: December 6th, 2023, 1:05 am
hermestrismi wrote: December 5th, 2023, 8:54 pm It is in the middle because I ranked it 100 so the player will encounter it first when he scroll
If they are anything like me, they'll miss it completely unless they know about it and are searching for it. When I play UMC, I immediately skip down past all the mainline stuff.
Then, I should make the rank even lower or change the first letter of the title 🤔
Okay, a couple parts in, time for some comments. Generally, I think the items, abilities, and new unit types are pretty cool, and yet largely disappointing. Disappointing? For the first few/several scenarios, I couldn't pick up any items, and those I could I didn't want (+%5 pierce resistance for -5HP, no way!). And the abilities (which I think you describe with the verb "bring", when I suspect you mean "charm", "befriend", or something like that, not sure because) I've yet to have a chance to use one. For awhile I wondered if these things did anything. I would suggest maybe having only a few items/abilities available at first, (mostly) ones that can be used by the available units and on available monsters (if I understand/guess correctly). BTW, these are the kind of things I'd like to see in the tutorial if you don't think that would give away too much.
Good idea. I will add a fake battle in the tutorial to make the items system more clear. it s hard for me but I must try.
If you don't plan to let the AI pick up items, it'd be nice if the player could smash the ones he doesn't want. I'm finding often an item I don't want or can't use will be on a tile I use a lot (a village is a good example), so every time I move there I have to click through.
logical suggestion. I will try to make a new option of smashing unwanted items.
I'm playing on normal, and the difficulty is about right until the last few scenarios of part 2, some of which are just suicidal.
I intended to make them hard but playable not suicidal. there is a Right-click menu of walkthroughs. however, if an experienced player said they are hard then no reason to argue. I will lower the difficulty.
avenge their lose > loss
proced > proceed
vurnurable > vulnerable
forgetten > forgotten
If you're going to capitalize Elves and Dwarfs/Dwarves, etc, do it for all races, every time. I don't see any reason to capitalize any of them, but lots of people do, unfortunately very rarely with any consistency.
Sovereins > Sovereigns
Thank you. I intended to capitalize every race name to make the new races' names noticeable. I will check again for forgotten names.
Shithen might not be a great race name. If nothing else, Schithen might be a better choice. It's an English thing, Shithen is rather close to another word which is a curse.
😄 I didn't notice that. That look really wiered when I look to the name after you mention it. I will change it surely.
Are units supposed to not heal when recalled? Not sure if this happens on every scenario, but more than a few.
they are supposed to do so. I guess I forget to store-reset-unstore before auto recalling.

survive02 Malri decided they should... Um, thought he was left behind at the end of surv01? Note: I see references to Malri in more than one scenario start.
I will fix that.
error config: Config contains invalid attribute name 'shallow water', skipping..
I have the same error. I think it is related to wesnoth only not to the campaign itself.
I got a message that a goblin paid like 30 gold to get +2 ranged damage. Seemed to take the gold, but got no damage (all goblins have 2 ranged damage). Also saw a troll whelp pay 20(?) for +2 ranged damage - ranged? I think these might all be broke for the AI.
good note. I shall catch this by myself. I will add a filter of have_attack.
Units with gear really need some sort of icon so I can easily identify them. In the beginning, they're mostly low level (die easy). In LotI, I just don't give
items to units until they're experienced enough that I can keep them alive, but here I can't store items, I have to either take them or leave them. The same might apply to some of the other custom abilities they get (so far, I'm not sure if those apply to only one unit or to the team).
This need an experienced lua developer. Lua is not my domain of expertise. I m good at modifying existed lua files and bad on creating new ones. if someone experienced with lua wants to help, it will be a pleasure.
Spoiler:
the taming system apply to the whole team. every unit will be able to do the same. I should add a menu about the list of taming. one may ask if this system is useful but there is too many scenarios and the chance of encountering monsters is very high.
Interesting, at least in the last scenario of Survive, you can move units on the same turn you recruit them.
thanks to the original author of this part.
Speaking of the last scenario, a quick unit came running in out of the fog on turn 3 and I lost. I don't have enough units to cover every entrance against 39 enemies. And even if they were all at least L1 so I could use ZoC, as soon as I lose one it's game over. No thanks, I'll just cheat.
I should make it easier then.
I'm now in the second part (expedition?). The save games are still named survive.
if you continue from a campaign to the next one, the game will take it as it is the same campaign. That or I can use a lot of set_global_variable and finish the game so the player have to quite and search for the next chapter. this solution will make the game slightly slower. I choice the first option.
The Crossing: Objectives say cross the river to the south edge, not move to the top of the map.

In at least two scenarios in part 2, Rodd starts the first turn with no movement.

[gold_carryover]
                carryover_percentage=20
            [/gold_carryover]
            {AI_CONTROLLER_NOTE}
to this

[gold_carryover]
                carryover_percentage=20
                bonus=yes
            [/gold_carryover]
            {AI_CONTROLLER_NOTE}
Looks better, too, IMO.
good catch. I will fix that as soon as possible.
It looks like the "geared" menu shows the unit type when the unit picked up an item. I have a unit with multiple items, and he shows up once as a knight and a
couple other times as a paladin. He's also carrying two lighter pilums, which makes him a complete monster (38x8 + charge), but it's not very realistic.
hmmmm I need to advance my knowledge with lua, really. I used simple (relatively) wml codes for this menu. I need to add a way to update the stat and another to prevent a unit from taking the same kind of weapons again. in fact, I was about to add moooore items but I considered the possibility of creating some overpowered units.

I will review this.
thank you very much for this review. I am really glad that you play, test and comment the game. I will be waiting for more comments.
white_haired_uncle

Crystal bow: says increase attacks=-6, actually 6. Seems like this should be in a macro so it's automatic and always correct.

The big torch lights up the area around the unit, but doesn't illuminate. This is really misleading. Same for dark torch, only it doesn't darken.

Depths of Earth: objectives say no gold carryover, but I got some (I killed all enemies if that matters). Not sure if this matters since it all gets wiped out from the next scenario, but it's weird.

Shining Darkness: objectives say no gold carryover, but I got some.

controle > control
yyou > you
commun > common
muteny > mutiny
choosed > chose

The First Attack: Not sure what's going on here, my recall list includes only loyals (prisoners?) and walking dead. I thought maybe the rest went with Rodd, but it appears they're just gone? And what is up with these elves? They do over 3x their normal damage - I don't have a single unit that can come anywhere near them.

Into the Light: objs say 20%, carryover=0
Spoiler:
Inferno's Door: I got a carryover message at victory, though the objective says 00%

Chasm of Doom: Either my royal guard got hit by the Infernal Vortex (which has only defend-only weapons), or its damage aura is much stronger than advertised, or his recruits were able to attack on their first turn.

In the AMLA selection for Telch, "lead allies better" shows charging twice.

Argan's AMLA for immune to poison doesn't show any trait. Is he immune?

Through the Void: Move a unit to the signpost. There's no signpost. Maybe because an item was dropped on it?

Defending the Portal: Objectives say signpost, but it's really defeat all enemies, which I suspect is utterly impossible in 20 turns (especially since most of my army barely moves through the terrain, and anything that does get to a boss is going to die in one turn).
Spoiler:
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 6th, 2023, 1:05 am If they are anything like me, they'll miss it completely unless they know about it and are searching for it. When I play UMC, I immediately skip down past all the mainline stuff.
the campaign introduction shows right after the mainline: done.
more events and explanations in the tutorial: done.
items gives special abilities: done.
geared units have icons: partially done.
option to smash items into gold: done
smashing is a gamble. you give money than you win more or you lose it: to do.
decrease difficulty for some scenarios: done (to re-test)
avenge their lose > loss
proced > proceed
vurnurable > vulnerable
forgetten > forgotten
Sovereins > Sovereigns
typos+capitalize all races: partially done (I didn't found 'Sovereins')
rename race Shithen to Schithen: absolutely
store-reset-unstore before auto recalling: not done (todo)
Malri/Adon typo: done
error config: not done (maybe a wesnoth bug?)
a filter of have_attack to wiered villages: not done (todo)
Units with gear really need some sort of icon so I can easily identify them. In the beginning, they're mostly low level (die easy). In LotI, I just don't give items to units until they're experienced enough that I can keep them alive, but here I can't store items, I have to either take them or leave them. The same might apply to some of the other custom abilities they get (so far, I'm not sure if those apply to only one unit or to the team).
store-modify gears: not done (need lua or insert_tag expert or time and lot of work)
Spoiler:
more explanations for the taming system: done
maps more balancing: not done (to do)
abbreviation changing between campaigns: not done (maybe a wesnoth bug?)

[gold_carryover]
                carryover_percentage=20
            [/gold_carryover]
            {AI_CONTROLLER_NOTE}
to this

[gold_carryover]
                carryover_percentage=20
                bonus=yes
            [/gold_carryover]
            {AI_CONTROLLER_NOTE}
correcting The Crossing' Objectives: done
store-reset-unstore before auto recalling: not done (todo)

to

bonus=yes
: done
It looks like the "geared" menu shows the unit type when the unit picked up an item. I have a unit with multiple items, and he shows up once as a knight and a couple other times as a paladin. He's also carrying two lighter pilums, which makes him a complete monster (38x8 + charge), but it's not very realistic.
store-modify units in gears: not done (need lua or insert_tag expert)
weapons type filter to take_only_once : not done (todo)
Rodd full army to the last scenario: not done (to do)
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

I also added a new mini campaign (8 scenarios) : War-Torn 01 because why not? :v
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

thank you for the new report
white_haired_uncle wrote: December 7th, 2023, 5:40 pm Crystal bow: says increase attacks=-6, actually 6. Seems like this should be in a macro so it's automatic and always correct.

The big torch lights up the area around the unit, but doesn't illuminate. This is really misleading. Same for dark torch, only it doesn't darken.
I shall review this (I already added the illumination and the darkens ability to the torchs)
Depths of Earth: objectives say no gold carryover, but I got some (I killed all enemies if that matters). Not sure if this matters since it all gets wiped out from the next scenario, but it's weird.

Shining Darkness: objectives say no gold carryover, but I got some.

controle > control
yyou > you
commun > common
muteny > mutiny
choosed > chose

The First Attack: Not sure what's going on here, my recall list includes only loyals (prisoners?) and walking dead. I thought maybe the rest went with Rodd, but it appears they're just gone? And what is up with these elves? They do over 3x their normal damage - I don't have a single unit that can come anywhere near them.

Into the Light: objs say 20%, carryover=0
Spoiler:
Inferno's Door: I got a carryover message at victory, though the objective says 00%

Chasm of Doom: Either my royal guard got hit by the Infernal Vortex (which has only defend-only weapons), or its damage aura is much stronger than advertised, or his recruits were able to attack on their first turn.
I am working on balancing those scenarios and the next ones along with the gold carryover mentioned in this comment.
yes, the army from the first chapters are gone. there is a note about that in the objectives of the scenario before prison along with the walkthroughs section. (did I forget it?).
for the items list, it is a bug. I must work on it but I imagine it need some good inspiration to found a solution and fix it.
between
Spoiler:
In the AMLA selection for Telch, "lead allies better" shows charging twice.
I hope this was already fixed. it was cause by the double ID inside the ability tag
Argan's AMLA for immune to poison doesn't show any trait. Is he immune?
yes he is but I should add an ability note for that.
Through the Void: Move a unit to the signpost. There's no signpost. Maybe because an item was dropped on it?
I need a save_file for that if possible. It should not happen.
Defending the Portal: Objectives say signpost, but it's really defeat all enemies, which I suspect is utterly impossible in 20 turns (especially since most of my army barely moves through the terrain, and anything that does get to a boss is going to die in one turn).
I will work on it. it supposed to be hard but not nightmarish.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Finally, I hope you enjoyed the campaign although those faults. I am awaiting for more comments while I am working on those ones
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

I was working on the items system again. I created a way to smash unwanted items but I found a bug into this and unfortunately I couldn't update a new version to fix it (internet slowed down today).
Also, I found a simpler way to prevent a unit from taking the same kind of weapon twice but I hit a wall while trying to solve a problem with filtering objects so 😅 😄 I am sorry.
I will update the next version (along with the fixes based on the above comments, I hope) as soon as possible
white_haired_uncle

Version 1.0.3g will not start. Add this to _main.cfg

{~add-ons/The_Dark_Master_Project_Resources_beta/macros/utils_00}

Gust, Ember: I have to click through the same dialog twice.

Revolution Begins: Might be enough turns if you know exactly what to do ahead of time.

Real Heroes: check the objectives, I think they're just copied from the last scenario.

Conspiracy: check the objectives

The Return: Elynia has two lightwave attacks, and AMLA gives the same improvement twice (two choices at same time that do the same thing).

Everytime Argan or Elynia kills someone a message like "+1 cold resistance" (don't quote me, they go by too fast to read), but nothing actually changes.

not to totally > not totally
I member of > I am a member of
potected > protected
hurted her > hurt her
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 9th, 2023, 1:40 am Version 1.0.3g will not start. Add this to _main.cfg

Revolution Begins: Might be enough turns if you know exactly what to do ahead of time.

Real Heroes: check the objectives, I think they're just copied from the last scenario.

The Return: Elynia has two lightwave attacks, and AMLA gives the same improvement twice (two choices at same time that do the same thing).

Everytime Argan or Elynia kills someone a message like "+1 cold resistance" (don't quote me, they go by too fast to read), but nothing actually changes.

potected > protected
hurted her > hurt her
Good morning. I am going to work right now but I will work on this, too.
For the ability, I know the cause and it is easy to fix (checking if she already have that attack before adding it)
For the floating message, it is the abilities soul absorbing and mind raid. When they kill a unit, they have a point added to a score. For example: 1/5 resistance to fire. When they reach the goal (5/5 resistance to fire), they have got 1% resistance added and the score became higher
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 9th, 2023, 1:40 am Version 1.0.3g will not start. Add this to _main.cfg

potected > protected
hurted her > hurt her
Update
Version 1.0.3g
Typos and language correction: done
Reliable system to smash unwanted items into gold (gambling): done
Rebalancing (gold/quantity of enemies): done
Rebalancing (maps/quality): not done
Review of objectives and gold carryover with note about bonus cases of optional objectives: done
More explanation for certain scenarios: done
Check for double attack for Elynia: not done
Note1 : this applies only for what White_haired_uncle mentioned. Further modifications will be applied later.
Note2: I wanted to add a macro to prevent a unit from taking a kind of items (Sword, spear, ..) twice but I am struggling to found a way to filter into the modifications.object tag ...
white_haired_uncle

hermestrismi wrote: December 10th, 2023, 11:55 am

Note2: I wanted to add a macro to prevent a unit from taking a kind of items (Sword, spear, ..) twice but I am struggling to found a way to filter into the modifications.object tag ...
Looks like you added utils_00, but 1.0.3h won't start for me again. Same issue, missing CAMP_VILLAGE macro. ? I just commented out the part that includes the tutorial so my save would start.

Re: Note2: Saw your thread on the WML forum, but I wasn't sure quite what you were going for (iron vs magic). I figured you'd just add something like

unit.modifications.object[$i].sort=sword

And then if you found a sort=sword the unit couldn't pick up another (or better yet, you had to drop the one you had if you want to take the new one).

BTW, I'm into the Dunjon levels. They seem nearly impossible. Like on the first one the enemy gets over 3,000 gold, while I had maybe 300? Yes, my units are pretty darn powerful, but they still take damage. Even if they lived through an attack, which isn't likely with those berserk attackers, I don't have enough units to rotate some out to heal. I don't think I'd have any chance if I couldn't pick up several weapons. Then again, maybe that's my problem, I kill just about everyone that attacks me, so I get attacked by a ton of units -- if some enemies survived they'd block others from attacking me that turn. I'm also missing some of the weapon specials (they weren't implemented when I picked them up), but I don't think that'll help enough.

Actually, I got as far as Donjon of Evil: Level one, where I start with 282 gold and the enemies have about 5,000. I'm just not feeling like it's worth even trying.
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 11th, 2023, 1:40 am
hermestrismi wrote: December 10th, 2023, 11:55 am

Looks like you added utils_00, but 1.0.3h won't start for me again. Same issue, missing CAMP_VILLAGE macro. ? I just commented out the part that includes the tutorial so my save would start.

Re: Note2: Saw your thread on the WML forum, but I wasn't sure quite what you were going for (iron vs magic). I figured you'd just add something like

unit.modifications.object[$i].sort=sword

And then if you found a sort=sword the unit couldn't pick up another (or better yet, you had to drop the one you had if you want to take the new one).

BTW, I'm into the Dunjon levels. They seem nearly impossible. Like on the first one the enemy gets over 3,000 gold, while I had maybe 300? Yes, my units are pretty darn powerful, but they still take damage. Even if they lived through an attack, which isn't likely with those berserk attackers, I don't have enough units to rotate some out to heal. I don't think I'd have any chance if I couldn't pick up several weapons. Then again, maybe that's my problem, I kill just about everyone that attacks me, so I get attacked by a ton of units -- if some enemies survived they'd block others from attacking me that turn. I'm also missing some of the weapon specials (they weren't implemented when I picked them up), but I don't think that'll help enough.

Actually, I got as far as Donjon of Evil: Level one, where I start with 282 gold and the enemies have about 5,000. I'm just not feeling like it's worth even trying.
Sorry about the start over issue. Unfortunately, some changes needs that the game will be start from the beginning :/
For Dojon of evil, the lvl have to be hard. The player should have at least some lvl 4 and 5 units along with tons of AMLAs and weapons. Also, there is a lot of corridors where I enjoyed use them. I also made a walkthroughs and the game is full of monsters with taming key along the campaigns.. If I made this particular part easier, it will be very easy. Try again, if you really considered it unbeatable, I will make it easier.
By the way, what ability did you found not functional?
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

What do you think is better? (Asking for advise)
1) items with no penalties but every unit have right on one type of items only without possibility to change the item (one type not one sort. For example: only one sword and one spear)
2) unlimited items to take but with penalties for each item and a chance that the unit turned against the player if she becomes overpowerful
white_haired_uncle

I have four level 4 and two level 5 units with a lot of advances (that's pretty much all the units that can advance to level 4, besides maybe elf shamans, and I concentrated mostly on advancing my loyal units and getting lots of AMLAs). A few have 100 HP, the rest around 70.

Using corridors would of course be nice, but I can't get to them. The enemy is close enough (especially with outriders with 13MP and skirmisher!) that the fight begins on turn 2, so at that point I haven't even moved any recalls yet. My units simply can't get to all the gaps on turn 1, and I don't have enough units to cover them all anyway.

And even if I could, my best units have like 100HP. An outrider does around 20x4. I'll survive the first attacker, probably killing him, but I'll take at least 20 damage. Then the next unit will attack him, doing at least 20 more damage, etc. In one turn, one of my best units is either dead, or if I get lucky and enough attackers survive so that only a few can get to me on that turn, he's still hurt very badly, needing several turns to heal. So he retreats and I replace him with another unit, who is lucky enough to survive, but again needs several turns to heal. Now who do I put in the front line? Everyone is healing. All my advanced units are now crippled, and I have no gold or turns to recruit fodder.

I tamed my first monster a couple scenarios ago. I see a couple monsters each scenario, but they are either far away or engaged with the enemy, and on the rare chance I actually encounter one, I probably don't have the ability to tame it (and does that work on defense?). Taming simply hasn't been part of the game.

Abilities: I've seen items that give shield and anti-magic, and they work -- now, but I don't remember even seeing those abilities listed when I picked the items up originally (I assume you've just added these). Also you mentioned illuminate, not sure if that works since I haven't picked up any of those since early on.
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 11th, 2023, 9:29 am I have four level 4 and two level 5 units with a lot of advances (that's pretty much all the units that can advance to level 4, besides maybe elf shamans, and I concentrated mostly on advancing my loyal units and getting lots of AMLAs). A few have 100 HP, the rest around 70.

Using corridors would of course be nice, but I can't get to them. The enemy is close enough (especially with outriders with 13MP and skirmisher!) that the fight begins on turn 2, so at that point I haven't even moved any recalls yet. My units simply can't get to all the gaps on turn 1, and I don't have enough units to cover them all anyway.

And even if I could, my best units have like 100HP. An outrider does around 20x4. I'll survive the first attacker, probably killing him, but I'll take at least 20 damage. Then the next unit will attack him, doing at least 20 more damage, etc. In one turn, one of my best units is either dead, or if I get lucky and enough attackers survive so that only a few can get to me on that turn, he's still hurt very badly, needing several turns to heal. So he retreats and I replace him with another unit, who is lucky enough to survive, but again needs several turns to heal. Now who do I put in the front line? Everyone is healing. All my advanced units are now crippled, and I have no gold or turns to recruit fodder.

I tamed my first monster a couple scenarios ago. I see a couple monsters each scenario, but they are either far away or engaged with the enemy, and on the rare chance I actually encounter one, I probably don't have the ability to tame it (and does that work on defense?). Taming simply hasn't been part of the game.

Abilities: I've seen items that give shield and anti-magic, and they work -- now, but I don't remember even seeing those abilities listed when I picked the items up originally (I assume you've just added these). Also you mentioned illuminate, not sure if that works since I haven't picked up any of those since early on.
Seems logical
Spoiler:
Well, there is some options here: reducing the gold and the power of fastest enemies but as I said this will make the demonic invasion looks easier. Well, I will reduce the gold only.
For the items. To be honest, I didn't dedicate too much time for developing more items (I use only old umc and mainline images for items. This was my choice). But, I added an ability for each item including illuminating and darkening. You may found a bug in this (when a unit take both illuminating and darkening abilities), it is a temporal bug until I decide in which path I will go: limited type of items for each unit or unlimited but with penalties (as I mentioned above)