The Dark Master Project

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

hermestrismi

Re: The Dark Master Project

Post by hermestrismi »

By the way
Spoiler:
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Version 1.0.3i
The music file is no longer mandatory (but recommended): done,
Decreasing enemies gold in DoV by 100g: done,
Only one type of items is allowed for each unit: done but buggy (I don't know how to fix this, really. I need help)
Further modifications may follow
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

hermestrismi wrote: December 11th, 2023, 8:52 am What do you think is better? (Asking for advise)
1) items with no penalties but every unit have right on one type of items only without possibility to change the item (one type not one sort. For example: only one sword and one spear)
2) unlimited items to take but with penalties for each item and a chance that the unit turned against the player if she becomes overpowerful
1) I'm not sure what you mean by type vs sort, but... If a unit can carry a sword and a spear, IMO they should be able to carry a magic sword and a magic spear at the same time, unless perhaps that's too much magic. But carrying more than one sword at a time, or more than one spear, that just doesn't make sense.

2) I like penalties, especially for otherwise really good items. That way you have to choose if you think the item is right for that unit, not just pick up everything automatically. And I don't mind having overpowerful units rebel, it's a chance you take, but many players will hate you for that.

P.S.

In the list of geared units, it says "image=images/bfh.jpg". I suspect you want to show the image?

Did you mean to leave in the "spring begins turn ..." type messages?

Elynia: AMLA "better with magic" - fairie fire is not magic?

Cave of Magic: where did all my great undead units go? I can recruit, but my recalls are gone. Also, you don't need to defeat ALL enemy leaders.

leadrs > leaders
ultimat > ultimate
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 11th, 2023, 11:57 am
hermestrismi wrote: December 11th, 2023, 8:52 am What do you think is better? (Asking for advise)
1) items with no penalties but every unit have right on one type of items only without possibility to change the item (one type not one sort. For example: only one sword and one spear)
2) unlimited items to take but with penalties for each item and a chance that the unit turned against the player if she becomes overpowerful
1) I'm not sure what you mean by type vs sort, but... If a unit can carry a sword and a spear, IMO they should be able to carry a magic sword and a magic spear at the same time, unless perhaps that's too much magic. But carrying more than one sword at a time, or more than one spear, that just doesn't make sense.

2) I like penalties, especially for otherwise really good items. That way you have to choose if you think the item is right for that unit, not just pick up everything automatically. And I don't mind having overpowerful units rebel, it's a chance you take, but many players will hate you for that.

P.S.

In the list of geared units, it says "image=images/bfh.jpg". I suspect you want to show the image?

Did you mean to leave in the "spring begins turn ..." type messages?

Elynia: AMLA "better with magic" - fairie fire is not magic?

Cave of Magic: where did all my great undead units go? I can recruit, but my recalls are gone. Also, you don't need to defeat ALL enemy leaders.

leadrs > leaders
ultimat > ultimate
I mean a unit will be able to carry one sword, one spear.. but not two spears. (I already implemented the first choice but I was stopped by a bug that I don't know how to fix),
The image is for the item tracking. I want to add multiple ways to present the list (by name of units, by name of units,... but that need advanced lua interface working),
The spring begins... is for the change of season?
Elynia AMLA might be a bug because it supposed to enhance all her ranged attacks (I fixed the double attack and the wrong ranged attack in villages but that need to begin from zero),
CoM? No, I will check that...
white_haired_uncle

hermestrismi wrote: December 11th, 2023, 4:20 pm
I mean a unit will be able to carry one sword, one spear.. but not two spears. (I already implemented the first choice but I was stopped by a bug that I don't know how to fix),
I could take a look if you like.
hermestrismi wrote: December 11th, 2023, 4:20 pm The image is for the item tracking. I want to add multiple ways to present the list (by name of units, by name of units,... but that need advanced lua interface working),
I can make a copy of the menu item you have current but written in lua with comments that should get you started if you like. I hate to do too much since LotI already has a great item interface, but if you just need something to start from...
hermestrismi wrote: December 11th, 2023, 4:20 pm The spring begins... is for the change of season?
Yes. Maybe it means something I missed, but it just looks to me like it was put in for debugging and never turned off.
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 11th, 2023, 6:27 pm
hermestrismi wrote: December 11th, 2023, 4:20 pm
I could take a look if you like.
hermestrismi wrote: December 11th, 2023, 4:20 pm The image is for the item tracking. I want to add multiple ways to present the list (by name of units, by name of units,... but that need advanced lua interface working),
I can make a copy of the menu item you have current but written in lua with comments that should get you started if you like. I hate to do too much since LotI already has a great item interface, but if you just need something to start from...
hermestrismi wrote: December 11th, 2023, 4:20 pm The spring begins... is for the change of season?
Yes. Maybe it means something I missed, but it just looks to me like it was put in for debugging and never turned off.
1. You are more than welcome bcz honestly, I had nightmarish time with it (the loop sometimes read the 'type_of' correctly, sometimes not)
2. Actually, I want something similar to loti: showing stored and functional items with possibility to store or unstore them. The interface I admire is box inside box not linear option to lead to linear option only which make the player uneasy.
3. It is to make the player about changing of terrain (from grass to snow for example). I was about to some storms to the hard mode and a fourth season but it is just an idea
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

List of Todo (for me)
Complete the portraits for the new races using old portraits bases,
A new campaign for the far north (the story of Qasicans against Orgre kingdom: build city style),
A new campaign war-torn3 for the far south,
Replace the deprecated Ai_controller.side by the system created by Beetlenaut or another system,
More monsters from 1.4,
Experience will increase even with no battle and decrease if the unit don't get recalled,
Storm season randomly,
Option to store potions,
Complete the walkthroughs,
The secret messages events,
That is too much already
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Update
V 0.1.3j
Fixing a bug for the mandatory New file utils,
Improving some options,
More portraits for many races (Dharkhlings, ...) from old and new Add-ons est une
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

New version 0.1.3k
more Balancing for the hardest scenarios,
almost 50 portraits (token from many old new campaigns),
some Balancing for the Qesicans and some other units.
personal note: considering the possibility of dividing the addon files into main and ressources
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

before any new updates, which campaign do you think that it need a partial or a complete rework?
white_haired_uncle

I wasn't able to upgrade from 1.0.3h (I think) to 1.0.3.k:

Code: Select all

20231219 16:51:45 error addons-client: server error: message = Could not find requested version 1.0.3k of the addon 'The_Dark_Master_Project_Resources_beta'.

20231219 16:51:45 error general: The server responded with an error:
Could not find requested version 1.0.3k of the addon 'The_Dark_Master_Project_Resources_beta'.
hermestrismi wrote: December 18th, 2023, 11:06 pm before any new updates, which campaign do you think that it need a partial or a complete rework?
I would like to see the start reworked. Instead of having like 20 campaigns listed in the wesnoth main menu, have one. You start on a map ("home") where you can go over here to play the tutorial (perhaps play Trader Strange Legacy for about 10 min to see what I mean), over there to start at the first campaign, and perhaps there's another area where you can go to choose an individual campaign. At the end of each campaign, you have the choice to exit, go back to the "home", or continue on to the next campaign.

Also, there's one part where you're presented with a list of optional campaigns(? mostly just scenarios). They don't seem to have much to do with the main story (not that I pay much attention to the story). There's no real info on whether or not to play them. I played a few and then skipped the rest, as I don't like single scenarios, I prefer to build/level my units through a campaign. I'm guessing players who follow the story would find this part a distraction. I'm not sure what advantage playing these scenarios provides, but perhaps you could make them available on the home menu so if a player felt he was falling behind he could take a break between campaigns to play one or more of these to strengthen his army/heroes/?.

You might check out the side-mission interface in The Ravagers.
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 19th, 2023, 10:11 pm I wasn't able to upgrade from 1.0.3h (I think) to 1.0.3.k:

20231219 16:51:45 error addons-client: server error: message = Could not find requested version 1.0.3k of the addon 'The_Dark_Master_Project_Resources_beta'.

Could not find requested version 1.0.3k of the addon 'The_Dark_Master_Project_Resources_beta'.
unfortunately, I don't have internet in my computer this days but I m pretty sure the addon worked for me after I uploaded it and I can't found a documentation about such error in the wiki or elsewhere. I will try to search again. meanwhile, are you sure it is related to my addon (not to a mod or a damaged cash for example)? can you give me a full log rapport if possible?
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 19th, 2023, 10:11 pm I wasn't able to upgrade from 1.0.3h (I think) to 1.0.3.k:

hermestrismi wrote: December 18th, 2023, 11:06 pm before any new updates, which campaign do you think that it need a partial or a complete rework?
I would like to see the start reworked. Instead of having like 20 campaigns listed in the wesnoth main menu, have one. You start on a map ("home") where you can go over here to play the tutorial (perhaps play Trader Strange Legacy for about 10 min to see what I mean), over there to start at the first campaign, and perhaps there's another area where you can go to choose an individual campaign. At the end of each campaign, you have the choice to exit, go back to the "home", or continue on to the next campaign.

Also, there's one part where you're presented with a list of optional campaigns(? mostly just scenarios). They don't seem to have much to do with the main story (not that I pay much attention to the story). There's no real info on whether or not to play them. I played a few and then skipped the rest, as I don't like single scenarios, I prefer to build/level my units through a campaign. I'm guessing players who follow the story would find this part a distraction. I'm not sure what advantage playing these scenarios provides, but perhaps you could make them available on the home menu so if a player felt he was falling behind he could take a break between campaigns to play one or more of these to strengthen his army/heroes/?.

You might check out the side-mission interface in The Ravagers.
the purpose of multi campaign list was lost after ages of updates. I was thinking about playing campaign with no clear clues that they connected (only some easter eggs). the project get more ideas and suggestions that the main idea was lost. from multiple campaigns to one single addon with many scenarios to one single addon with campaigns divided as main campaign and side quests and so one.) if I did as you suggested (which is a good idea to consider by the way), then my idea will be completely disappear :D.
for the multi scenarios, they are part of the rebellion chapter. I decided to separate them so the player can play them from within the chapter or independently from it. in fact, they are originally multiplayer scenarios from 1.2 mostly but I hated to see them lost and forgotten after all those years and so I modified them to be sp scenarios. it is hard for me to see a person work hard just to leave no legacy or mention to his efforts. may be one day someone will say: " look at this hermes, his work is not perfect but he clearly worked hard although all odds to create something like a universe from battles to languages, cultures, ... may be I can take his work for a next level as he did with old works".
anyways..
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

well, I tried to share some internet from my phone to the pc and it worked so I updated the version with my actual version.
since it was a fast run with no testing for the new things I added between the last update and my actual version, I don't know if there is some bugs.
please update and tell me if the error still exist
white_haired_uncle

Update from 1.0.3k (which I downloaded from addons.wesnoth.org) to 1.0.3o worked okay using the addons option in the game.