Dream in the Sand - Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Dream in the Sand - Campaign

Post by Konrad2 »

Tongues of Flame
Spoiler:
Reminder for myself: (aka to-do-list)
Battle Hum -> Pain of the Present -> Last Wish
Attachments
DitS-Tongues of Flame replay 20230531-190355.gz
(26.43 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Update 1.1.7 has been released!

This update introduces:

Spoiler:

Konrad2 wrote: June 21st, 2023, 12:38 pm Ursud mentions the Troll Forge, but isn't the Troll Forge a very secret secret? As in, Modome and Nemee don't even know what it is? (Not to mention, why is it relevant that the Troll Forge was destroyed?)
Spoilers!

Spoiler:
AUTHOR OF:
DREAM IN THE SAND | BORN TO LIVE | HORN OF FAITH | RUSTLING IN THE WIND | WAVES OF DISTANT SHORE

The campaigns are available for download on the 1.18 Wesnoth add-ons server.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I like the campaign, especially as it is very story driven and the player gets good into the game, as you take yourself time and make a real intro.
However you should work over the first message of the campaign - it left me confused. I have to say that your campaign has a fundamental weakness.

It is story driven, but also hard. Which makes it very frustrating. You should add an easier difficulty for beginners. Usually I play iron-man mode and try to get through a campaign and usually I can do it. It seemed impossible in the first campaign and you are kind of overrun and have to hold out for a long time. Its doable, but frustrating and probably will lead to load save scumming. Just my opinion, maybe I just had bad luck.

Maybe one thing, I've seen a mistake that some of the newer content mod creators make recently. Usually the rank (inside the the main.cfg) should be lower than the rank of the mainline campaigns. At the moment your campaign is in the middle of nowhere between the custom campaigns. It could that it is hard to find for players.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Battle Hum
Spoiler:
Pain of the Present
Spoiler:
The Last Wish
Spoiler:
Regarding the flood traps, it would make more sense to change the map, and then to kill enemy units. (Preferably of course if the flood was animated hex by hex, but that's 'just' aesthetics.)
+ Fire Wraiths on 7,10 or 13,10 are not killed when the trap is triggered.

There seems to be no replay for the scenario.

The World After
Spoiler:
It seems I've finally completed my task. :)
Attachments
DitS-The Last Wish Turn 24.gz
replay
(61.25 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Update 1.1.8 has been released!

It includes:
Spoiler:
Konrad2 wrote: June 28th, 2023, 8:35 pm It seems I've finally completed my task.
It can be said that this is a milestone update because Konrad2 has completed a huge task - proofreading for Dream in the Sand!

This is a huge achievement because the campaign contains a lot of text, so I want to thank you again, Konrad2, for your help. You really helped to improve the campaign so that other players have even more enjoyment playing it :D

Konrad2 wrote: June 28th, 2023, 8:35 pm There seems to be no replay for the scenario.
I don't understand, because to me it saves the replay of this scenario normaly, also after the turn you uploaded in the file, it also saves the replay for me :hmm:

Konrad2 wrote: June 28th, 2023, 8:35 pm (Preferably of course if the flood was animated hex by hex, but that's 'just' aesthetics.)
Maybe later ;) for now I improved this flood system

Heindal wrote: June 26th, 2023, 6:53 pm It is story driven, but also hard. Which makes it very frustrating. You should add an easier difficulty for beginners. Usually I play iron-man mode and try to get through a campaign and usually I can do it. It seemed impossible in the first campaign and you are kind of overrun and have to hold out for a long time. Its doable, but frustrating and probably will lead to load save scumming. Just my opinion, maybe I just had bad luck.
Thanks for your opinion, however, for now, I don't plan to add a difficulty level for beginners :)

I don't know if you know, but the first combat scenario, depending on whether you take - Challenging, Difficult or Nightmare varies quite a bit.

- the amount of initial gold.
- on Challenging, the player gets one lv2 Stalwart unit instead of a lv1 Guardsman, also, in Dunefolk waves, there are no Skirmishers units, and lv2 enemies do not appear
- on Difficult one lv2 enemy unit appears among attackers, and on Nightmare two lv2 enemy units appear
- on Nightmare mode, there is also an additional Miner unit to evacuate

I don't want to go into further details, as I would have to look more closely at the scenario and recall all the differences between the difficulty levels, but they are certainly different.

In addition, the campaign was specifically constructed for advanced players and is labeled as Expert, and the Nightmare level is.... simply a nightmare.

However, maybe in the future I can also make a version for novices.
AUTHOR OF:
DREAM IN THE SAND | BORN TO LIVE | HORN OF FAITH | RUSTLING IN THE WIND | WAVES OF DISTANT SHORE

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

GreenScarab wrote: June 30th, 2023, 7:33 pm I don't understand, because to me it saves the replay of this scenario normaly, also after the turn you uploaded in the file, it also saves the replay for me :hmm:

Luckily just an oversight of mine, there is indeed a replay.
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Version 2.0.7 of Dream in the Sand has been released!!!

Changelog:
Spoiler:
AUTHOR OF: