In Defense of Kharos

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: In Defense of Kharos

Post by Konrad2 »

S4
The problem with the gold boost is as follows: You are likely deep in negative gold, so you don't get 300 gold, you get 300-however much you are in negative. Possibly no gold at all, and no warning that you might have to prepare for it.

Another thing:
Could you give all the villages in the city to my ally? (except my camp villages of course) My ally seems to waste 6+ units on taking those villages, while the front crumbles.
Tarcil

Post by Tarcil »

Konrad2 wrote: March 11th, 2023, 8:22 pm S4
The problem with the gold boost is as follows: You are likely deep in negative gold, so you don't get 300 gold, you get 300-however much you are in negative. Possibly no gold at all, and no warning that you might have to prepare for it.

Another thing:
Could you give all the villages in the city to my ally? (except my camp villages of course) My ally seems to waste 6+ units on taking those villages, while the front crumbles.
Ok, that are fair points. I will give the ally all villages and slightly increase the gold boost.
Creator of "In Defense of Kharos" viewtopic.php?t=56628
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(still same map)
Why are 7,14 and 3,14 impassable?
Tarcil

Post by Tarcil »

Konrad2 wrote: March 14th, 2023, 9:52 am (still same map)
Why are 7,14 and 3,14 impassable?
To make the defense easier and create a small chokepoint
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S1 onwards
High Priestess Antuja needs a silver crown as she is not allowed to die.

S4
turn 20
Defeat conditions are no longer shown.
Sorocs death isn't a defeat condition, not even a hidden one.
Soroc needs a silver crown as he obviously should not be allowed to die.
Once Soroc has left, the objectives should include the possibility of Solus' death. (Either that, or don't make the scenario end when he dies.)
Soroc demands upkeep.

S5
cheer -> sheer
Council has to -> Council had to
swiftly lead their -> swiftly led their
hope, that it leads -> hope that it would lead
flaoting -> floating
it engulfed in -> it was engulfed by

found the exit -> find the exit
had fallen -> has fallen

When I kill the enemy leader, it's said enemy leader who says that he want to join me.

S6
Please make him less prone to dumbness.
dude.PNG
dude.PNG (334.58 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
Why exactly does this scenario have two Mornings?

S8
The Sky Kingdom leader shows up in the status table, and the game scrolls to him whenever it's their turn. (before turn 4 already)
Atiros needs a silver crown. (Probably has to be handled in S7.)

token of friendship -> token of friendship.
as well as his men -> as well as his men.

S9
I haven´t seen you first. -> I hadn´t seen you at first.
into the chamber -> into the chamber.

Honestly, I'd have liked it more if I could have fought the Sunfire defense to the last. Maybe give the play the option to end early (via right click menu), but otherwise let it play out by increasing the enemies income every 5 turns after turn 23.
I very much liked being able to play as Kharos.
Attachments
IDoK-Onward replay 20230314-163006.gz
(59.75 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
IDoK-Travel to Saffaros replay 20230314-164912.gz
(53.73 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
IDoK-Saffaros replay 20230314-165726.gz
(53.12 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
IDoK-Castle Sunfire replay 20230314-155508.gz
(79.42 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
IDoK-Flee! replay 20230310-155502.gz
(30.79 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
IDoK-The End replay 20230310-154710.gz
(37.32 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
IDoK-Darkness arrives replay 20230218-112527.gz
(23.97 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Tarcil

Post by Tarcil »

Konrad2 wrote: March 14th, 2023, 2:44 pm S1 onwards
High Priestess Antuja needs a silver crown as she is not allowed to die.

S4
turn 20
Defeat conditions are no longer shown.
Sorocs death isn't a defeat condition, not even a hidden one.
Soroc needs a silver crown as he obviously should not be allowed to die.
Once Soroc has left, the objectives should include the possibility of Solus' death. (Either that, or don't make the scenario end when he dies.)
Soroc demands upkeep.

S5
cheer -> sheer
Council has to -> Council had to
swiftly lead their -> swiftly led their
hope, that it leads -> hope that it would lead
flaoting -> floating
it engulfed in -> it was engulfed by

found the exit -> find the exit
had fallen -> has fallen

When I kill the enemy leader, it's said enemy leader who says that he want to join me.

S6
Please make him less prone to dumbness.dude.PNG
Why exactly does this scenario have two Mornings?

S8
The Sky Kingdom leader shows up in the status table, and the game scrolls to him whenever it's their turn. (before turn 4 already)
Atiros needs a silver crown. (Probably has to be handled in S7.)

token of friendship -> token of friendship.
as well as his men -> as well as his men.

S9
I haven´t seen you first. -> I hadn´t seen you at first.
into the chamber -> into the chamber.

Honestly, I'd have liked it more if I could have fought the Sunfire defense to the last. Maybe give the play the option to end early (via right click menu), but otherwise let it play out by increasing the enemies income every 5 turns after turn 23.
I very much liked being able to play as Kharos.
Thank you for the feedback as always. I will fix the issues you mentioned and upload a new version soon. Regarding the fight in S4, I have heard mostly the exact opposite and build in the blackscreen as a response to previous feedback. I will maybe increase the turn limit a bit before the blackscreen and also increase the income as you suggested. (But how do I do this wml wise? xD)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Tarcil wrote: March 14th, 2023, 9:36 pm Thank you for the feedback as always. I will fix the issues you mentioned and upload a new version soon. Regarding the fight in S4, I have heard mostly the exact opposite and build in the blackscreen as a response to previous feedback. I will maybe increase the turn limit a bit before the blackscreen and also increase the income as you suggested. (But how do I do this wml wise? xD)
That's why I'm suggesting the right click menu, so that those that don't want to fight till the end, can end the scenario earlier, while those that want to keep going, can do that too.
I suggest you join the wesnoth discord server and ask egallager for help. They have some code like that in The Earth's Gut (Scenario Prison).
Tarcil

Post by Tarcil »

Thx for the suggestion, I will look into the wml from The Earths Gut.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Mini error found: in main.cfg it's looking for the background= and not finding it for 2 separate reasons. LOL, I was going nuts saying that can't be broken after I fixed it....

#1 missing add-ons in the path
BUT that did not fix it because of this SNEAKY error:
#2 the image filename's extension is not .png it's actually .jpg
: ) Took me a while staring at it before I saw it...

Really nice pic incidentally.
egallager

Post by egallager »

Konrad2 wrote: March 15th, 2023, 7:22 am
Tarcil wrote: March 14th, 2023, 9:36 pm Thank you for the feedback as always. I will fix the issues you mentioned and upload a new version soon. Regarding the fight in S4, I have heard mostly the exact opposite and build in the blackscreen as a response to previous feedback. I will maybe increase the turn limit a bit before the blackscreen and also increase the income as you suggested. (But how do I do this wml wise? xD)
That's why I'm suggesting the right click menu, so that those that don't want to fight till the end, can end the scenario earlier, while those that want to keep going, can do that too.
I suggest you join the wesnoth discord server and ask egallager for help. They have some code like that in The Earth's Gut (Scenario Prison).
To be clear, I didn't write the code in question myself, but rather, I inherited it from Anonymissimus. Haven't really seen Anon. around lately, though...
Otdoy

Post by Otdoy »

Hello, just to say that I enjoyed this campaign very much. I found the first and second scenarios to be excellent challenges, and then the subsequent scenarios much easier.

White Warriors seem a little bit overpowered, with their cheap cost, 60% defense on flat terrain and strong sword attack.

Hydras seem a bit underpowered... or there isn't enough of them? Maybe they should regen 12? Or split into multiple smaller hydras when killed? Or maybe it's just the stupid AI that keeps moving them out of the water and onto flat ground, making them easy to kill :( In any case, they never seem to be much of a bother.

The storyline is very good, it's very nice to hook up with Atiros at the end to help him in his departure to the South. Meeting the orcs was interesting but not hard. It might be more interesting to run up against orcs plus Tharis troops in the same scenario?

There could be a lot of potential for adding hard tactical combats, especially in the "three months of suffering" that are skipped over in the Kharos dialogue scenario.

Thank you very much for your hard work! I had a lot of fun.
Tarcil

Post by Tarcil »

Otdoy wrote: April 18th, 2024, 12:08 am Hello, just to say that I enjoyed this campaign very much. I found the first and second scenarios to be excellent challenges, and then the subsequent scenarios much easier.

White Warriors seem a little bit overpowered, with their cheap cost, 60% defense on flat terrain and strong sword attack.

Hydras seem a bit underpowered... or there isn't enough of them? Maybe they should regen 12? Or split into multiple smaller hydras when killed? Or maybe it's just the stupid AI that keeps moving them out of the water and onto flat ground, making them easy to kill :( In any case, they never seem to be much of a bother.

The storyline is very good, it's very nice to hook up with Atiros at the end to help him in his departure to the South. Meeting the orcs was interesting but not hard. It might be more interesting to run up against orcs plus Tharis troops in the same scenario?

There could be a lot of potential for adding hard tactical combats, especially in the "three months of suffering" that are skipped over in the Kharos dialogue scenario.

Thank you very much for your hard work! I had a lot of fun.
I took the units from EoMa, so I can´t change the White Warrior stats Regarding the difficulty of the later scenarios I will look through it. Maybe I will add another orcish leader.
And ofc thank you very much for your kind words!I am glad that you liked the campaign.
gwen42

Post by gwen42 »

This is a fun campaign, but it's a little bit of a damper in "Onward" when the ally leader decides to commit suicide by throwing himself into the thick of the battle. Instant defeat.
Not sure if there's a way to fix that, but I thought you should know. Save attached.
IDoK-Onward Turn 5.gz
(54.68 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
EDIT: I see that someone else already brought this up... :whistle: